Day 2 - Scott Bog Peak 2-22-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campsite

Reaction score
Day 2 started ominously with vehicle problems. We had intended to have breakfast a Dube's Pit Stop at 5:30 in order to get an early start for Kent.
As it turned out the problem with the vehicle was quickly repaired (and my ego bruised), but it was now too late for Kent so we decided on Scott Bog Peak.
Fran decided that one senior moment was enough for the day, so her vote of no-confidence stripped me of my routemeister status, and my map, and my compass - but I got even the next morning.
We parked in a roadside parking area across from the boat launch on Third Conn. Lake and headed out on a 101-degree bearing through wide open woods. The bw conditions were excellent - 0-12" dry snow on a hard base probably 5' deep - keeping us significantly above forest floor debris. Soon we hit ledges which were easily circumvented by a short walk to the south and then to the north. We continued on bearing through wide open woods until the middle of the main ridge - about halfway to the peak. Then we hit some fairly thick stuff until down in the ravine where we traveled through wide, wide open woods. (in hindsight, we should have followed the open ravine right up to the swath - a longer but easier route). After crossing the ravine, we headed up the main mountain through relatively thick woods. We hit the swath a few hundred yards west of the its high point. At the high point, we turned south through wide open woods, lost about 20' of altitude, and were soon in the summit area. The plastic canister was upside down due to having a cracked cover. Alas, this position allowed water to freeze in the cover's threads making the cover too difficult to open, or risking cracking the container while struggling to open it.
At this point, I'd like to thank the owners of Buck Rub Pizza and Lodge for the help extended to us during this vehicle problem. We stayed there Thursday night. We woke them up a 7:30 (they go to bed around 1am) asking to use the pay phone to call a garage. They insisted on opening the restaurant and serving us free coffee. They wouldn't allow us to use the payphone, but instead they called a garage for us. I must admit, I thought we were being set up here - but I was wrong. The mechanic arrived within a half hour and quickly fixed the problem. He wanted $5 for his efforts. Needless to say, I gave him more.

Last edited:
Another nice report. Seems you folks had a great winter visit up in Coos County.

campsite said:
We continued on bearing through wide open woods until the middle of the main ridge - about halfway to the peak. Then we hit some fairly thick stuff until down in the ravine where we traveled through wide, wide open woods. (in hindsight, we should have followed the open ravine right up to the swath - a longer but easier route). After crossing the ravine, we headed up the main mountain through relatively thick woods. We hit the swath a few hundred yards west of the its high point.
I've not done the peak so I don't know how thick the various routes are, but considering the ease you had on the vista the day before, did you consider heading straight to the vista along the ridge line you crossed and over 2983. (in other words hit the vista here) Yes longer, but with all the snomo traffic it might have been easier than crossing down the ravine and up again. And a lot less elevation loss/gain.

Another question: I know you may have been short on time the day before, but isn't Scott Bog Peak a short over and back from Salmon? Especially with a clear path on the vista. (Maybe you didn't want to do an illegal entry to the US, but then again you did that on Salmon.)

BTW: the reason I ask these questions is that I will be back in that area this summer and any and all comparative route information is welcome.

Last edited:
We hit the vista just west of your red cross. For an idea of our route, just draw a straight line from the boat ramp to the red cross. The entire round trip hike was probably 1.5 miles. Could potentially take more time in summer due to forest floor conditions. We were probably walking 5' above all that stuff.

campsite said:
We hit the vista just west of your red cross. For an idea of our route, just draw a straight line from the boat ramp to the red cross. The entire round trip hike was probably 1.5 miles. Could potentially take more time in summer due to forest floor conditions. We were probably walking 5' above all that stuff.
Thanks, that makes sense. Confession: I was thinking you were hitting the next peak over (3277 - southwest of Salmon). But I see by the col drop, that's a non-peak. Mea Culpa.

I was about to ask why you didn't bag Kent with Salmon when conditions proved so good

If NH really forbids driving on plowed roads in Pittsburg some of the 3k are going to get a lot tougher

RoySwkr said:
I was about to ask why you didn't bag Kent with Salmon when conditions proved so good

If NH really forbids driving on plowed roads in Pittsburg some of the 3k are going to get a lot tougher
As I raised in another thread Roy, we need to start using snowmobiles to get to winter peaks. Everyone else seems to be doing it. "Rules? What rules? We don't need no steeekin' rules" :D

Papa Bear said:
we need to start using snowmobiles to get to winter peaks.
Somehow I doubt you are going to bother with the NH200 as most don't have survey markers, so AMC rules don't apply to you, and Groundspeak allows snowmobiles but finding BM in winter can be tough so you still probably won't go

I have enough trouble keeping a car running in winter so the last thing I need is another mechanical thing to deal with in the cold. And I hate the noise and smell of snowmobiles. Walking in their tracks can be nice but hopefully it's yesterday's tracks :)