Dealing with postholes and holers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
Dealing with postholes and p-holers

The weekend warm temps will surely bring out large crowds to the trails this weekend. Trip reports have indicated many post-holes on the trails and no doubt, there will be many without snowshoes creating new postholes in the soft snow. It seems that there are two things to ponder- when on snowshoes how to safely avoid getting hurt on existing postholes and at least in the eastern High Peaks as defined-does one say anything to those out obviously creating new postholes? Or with the snow soon to be gone, is that not even worth bothering with.

Last edited:
This time of the year I will do some of the trailess peaks in the Adirondacks. This way most people you see will respect the fact that snowshoes should be worn.

I think where there will be the worse problem will be going into Marcy Dam and over to Algonquin. When I encounter a bare booter I may or may not say something. In all reality it probably wont sink in there thick skulls anyways ;)

I'm wondering about what's being done about all the glissaders? They are the real problem :rolleyes:

One way to avoid the postholes is to stay on the couch.

I would not say anything to the postholers, unless you're on a trail where it's illegal to bareboot. Someone who chooses not to wear snowshoes has the same right to be out there as you do.

I would not say anything to the postholers, unless you're on a trail where it's illegal to bareboot. Someone who chooses not to wear snowshoes has the same right to be out there as you do.

Maybe in the Whites....there are written regs for sections of the ADK's and you can be ticketed for not wearing them

Maybe in the Whites....there are written regs for sections of the ADK's and you can be ticketed for not wearing them

True -- if you find someone on such a trail then by all means, say something, they might not have realized and would appreciate not having to pay a fine.

JMO, of course.

ok sorry, did not intend to start a huge debate. I should have only posted the question on safety on the trail.

A genuine passing comment about how much easier it would be for them if they had snowshoes would speak volumes. If they are deaf to that then you did your best without bitching at them. If they are rude let them struggle with their postholes and wish them a nice day.

This time of year I even make post holes with my snowshoes. With warm days things are firm in the morning and then really soften up in the afternoon....the trails become a mess one way or another intentionally or not. I usually do not say anything but try my best to send them telepathic messages....I don't think that works very well either. Sometimes its hard not to glissade when you slip....I am hestitant of doing it intentionally after someone I know busted up his leg pretty bad.

-MEB

This time of year I even make post holes with my snowshoes. With warm days things are firm in the morning and then really soften up in the afternoon....the trails become a mess one way or another intentionally or not.
-MEB

True. Expecting smooth, packed trails after multiple sunny 40-50 degree days is not a good bet, snowshoes or not.

Last edited:
A genuine passing comment about how much easier it would be for them if they had snowshoes would speak volumes. If they are deaf to that then you did your best without bitching at them. If they are rude let them struggle with their postholes and wish them a nice day.

Be careful with dispensing anything deemed advice on trail.... Previous thread on advice

Last edited:
Well, since it's on the General Backcountry Forums and I have done my fair share of snowshoeing in my day I will say it's meaningless.

...."Sometimes your the windshield sometimes your the bug"...

but it is fun to see the subject come up every year.

... many a day I have grumbled about all the post holes in a trail..except the days I miss judge the conditions and find myself postholing...

What will you do if one of those chastised postholers responds with that classic advice, "hike your own hike"?

Just curious ... ;)

G.

What will you do if one of those chastised postholers responds with that classic advice, "hike your own hike"?

Just curious ... ;)

G.

Whenever I hike on a public trail in public lands that isn't maintained by me or a hiking club of which I'm a member, I think I'm obligated to considered the public good.

Admittedly, not as catchy as "hike your own hike".

Then I might respond with the quotation, often attributed to Oliver Wendell Holmes: "My right to swing my arm ends where my neighbor's nose begins". Or however it goes.

To paraphrase, "perhaps my right to flap my jaws ends where my neighbor's ear begins" (or something like that).

Just being an old contrarian ... ;)

G.

Be careful with dispensing anything deemed advice on trail.... Previous thread on advice

If people stop while passing each other on the trail sometimes a little chit chat is exchanged. I wouldn't assert myself on the subjest but it could be mentioned in passing just like asking how are the trails ahead?

If people don't want to chit chat beyond hello then we don't. I don't want to rain on their day anymore than I want them to on mine.