Definitive Alpine Guide???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtneqgurl

Reaction score
Did anyone see the piece on the 1/5/06 AM news about the snow boarder that used what he learned watching the movie Vertical Limit to build a snow cave, which saved his life - once again Vertical Limit proves itself as the definitive guide to alpine travel.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone that is thinking of engaging in serious alpine adventure, not only will the star-studded cast keep you on the edge of your seat with Oscar like performances, you will learn such valuable things as -
· The handling and applications of nitroglycerine (hint-EMS & REI
always runs sales in the avalanche off season)
· The diving cam placement - practice this technique and you take your climbing to new heights. In fact this has inspired me to perfect my own
technique The Flying Tri-cam Jam) that I hope to continue to work on after my recovery.
· The cornice stitch -learn how hold a cracked cornice together with an ice axe.

There are just too many to include, so forget reading Freedom of the
Hills. In fact, some of the guide certification organizations just sit people
down to watch the movie, when you have seen it enough to memorize the lines they give you your mt. guide cert. (NOT)

* Note be careful when you cut the rope on a climbing partner that it
appears they are causing a life threatening situation and they are not
just a pain to climb with. There is a disclaimer hidden in the credits
at the end of the movie so you may not be relieved from liability.

Yeah!!! and from the movie Cliffhanger I learned to always tie off the end the loose end of my BD climbing harness in a nice square knot to avoid the tragedy that befell the woman in the opening scene.

Now if I could only run up to the summit of the mountain faster than it takes a helicopter to fly from one side to the other, I'd be in Stallone's league!!!