Did/Is anyone saving one 4000'er for last?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on 4 lists which overlap:

NH 4Ks
NE 4Ks (which includes the above)
NE Hundred Highest (which includes the above)
NE Fifty Finest (about half are on HH list)

Currently I am at:

39/48
54/67
77/100
37/50

There is an outside chance I can finish this fall if I really get out there. I am saving Carrigain for last since it is on all four lists and I'll finish all the lists at the same time.

Pb

Papa Bear said:
There is an outside chance I can finish this fall if I really get out there. I am saving Carrigain for last since it is on all four lists and I'll finish all the lists at the same time.
Papa Bear: I know a way in which you can finish all 4 lists, simultaneously, on different summits. PM me for details!

What!? No Torngats on your List!? How about North East North America 4Ks -- Caubvick would be on that list! :D

-Dr. Wu

NH 48 4K completed on Isolation
NH 48 4K Winter completed on Lafayette

Katahdin will complete:
NE 67 4K (currently 65/67)
NE 100 Highest (94/100)
NE State HPs (4/6)
NE AT (562/733 miles)

With hope for a glorious yet laborious day to climb The Greatest Mountain.
Lot's of new patches.
Katahdin or bust.
There or square.

Last edited:
NH 48 and NE 67: most likely Isolation. Reasons: 1. Only one left with a great view and not a ski area 2. It's the only one left that neither my Dad nor I have climbed in NH, and he wants to finish his 48 (2 left). Hopefully we can do it together, if I can catch up by knocking off 5 more in NH/1 in ME/2 in VT before he gets too impatient.

If I had to do it over again: Abraham in ME. Wow!!!!

I'd like to finish on Cannon Mountain, which was one of the first 4k's I saw when I climbed my first NH 4k, Liberty. Also, non-hikers could join me via the gondolla. It's also the closest 4k to Boston that I have remaining... I'd like to save Carrigain for my second-to-last, but I've got 27 to go.

I am adjusting my plan

dr_wu002 said:
Papa Bear: I know a way in which you can finish all 4 lists, simultaneously, on different summits.
After seeing Dr. Wu's diagram regarding wormholes and the time space continum I have decided to finsih my 4000 footers this afternoon from my desk!

Hopefully Adams this summer if plans work out.

I have 8 to go and if not Adams, probably Isolation.

I didn't realize I was hiking a list until I was more than halfway through, so it didn't occur to me to save a special peak for last. I've been at 47 and holding for a couple years now, with just Cabot left. I'm in no hurry to finish. Actually, with just one left, I like the idea of not rushing to finish.

I can't save a special peak for last, so instead maybe I'll save the one I have left for a special date or a special companion. Or maybe I'll just leave it out there, and dally over the sweetness of a goal within reach.

We chose Carrigain, for the view......

amongtheclouds.jpg

Note the 48 fingers.

sunfish

Last edited:
I plan to finish on Mt. Monadnock...just kidding. Washington would probably be last. I've already hiked it before, but that was before I was hardcore. But dude, I don't even hike that much!

Let's see, so far

NE 65 (I'm old) & NH 48 first time Moriah (low enough from Mom & wife to go as hikers, still a good view - did not plan ahead until only about 15 left in NH)

2nd time on NH 48 - Cannon, Wife & kids + my Dad & his wife took tram up)

Solo - still have a few but Madison, Adams & Carriagin are front runners in that order

3rd time in three different seasons, 23 left - Carrigain, Isolation, Owl's Head, Cannon are among those that might garner some thought, depends I guess if Winter 48 is going to be done at the same time. Cannon would allow skiing family members to join celebration

Suspect I'll do the rest of the NE peaks again, (have done a few more than 1x, Katahdin would be first choice except I've been there 2x & want to go again but Camel's Hump in VT is good, as is Saddleback.

ADK's - almost 1/2 way, looking at Nipple Top or Dix as a final, I've done most of the peaks with trails & great views & want to do Skylight sooner than later.

It Seemed like such a simple question too. (which to leave for last)

Middle Carter will be my final 4000er. I did not choose to save it and would have finished on Garfield this past weekend, but a blister (not mine) cancelled the carter trip early. The best laid plans...
I am looking forward to finishing soon, not to actually finish, but I am developing a new list of trails, hikes and seasons that I would like to do.
Sean

my last 48nh k will most likly be the one the kids finish with. Since they are interested in climbing them all I might as well make it a family thing. Only 45 more peaks for them.

NH46-AS (all-season) = Moosilauke
NH48-W (winter) = Isolation
NE67-AS = S. Brother
NE100-AS = Breadloaf
NE67-W and NE100-W = Hamlin

The only summit that I planned as a finishing peak was Moosilauke, when I had about 5 of the orginal 46 remaining; the other finishing peaks just happened.....

I've seen a lot of folks mention Solo NH48 -- is that actually a catagory that will get you a specific patch? I think I did more than half of mine solo, and now I'm thinking about trying all of them solo... but heck, I want me a patch for doing that! ;)

I only have 11 more to go for my NH48. Among those are Carrigan, Adams and Madison. I'll most likely pick one of these. I also have left (which I don't want to finish on) Wildcats, Cabot and Waumbek, Owl's Head, Tri's, and Passaconaway. Can someone guarantee clear VFTT if I choose Carrigan? :rolleyes:

----- Buddy

Mr. X, is it fair to not count ascents because you weren't "hardcore"? I'm not picking on you; this subject has come up before, and I never said anything, but it's always bothered me, this notion of not counting ascents as "official" for some reason or other.

I was softcore for 21 years, but I can't deny those ascents, even if all but one have been redone. It took me nearly 27 years to climb the Northeastern USA Four-Thousand Footers, but if I'd wanted to make it sound more impressive, I'd have climbed Hunter Mountain last summer, then I could have claimed to have done it (climbed all 115) in less than seven years (from October 4, 1997-September 11, 2004, instead of October 8, 1977-September 11, 2004).

Anyway:

Adirondack 46: Whiteface (with Susan and Harry K)

White Mountain 48: West Bond (with Susan)

New England 67 and Northeast 115: Camel's Hump (with Susan and Harry K)

I deliberately held off Whiteface for my Forty-Sixer finale so my parents could drive up with the cake. I was inspired by a photograph in "Adirondack Peeks" of an eight-year-old getting a cake. It was 78 days before my 46th birthday. I was inspired by a Boulder Report in "Peeks" of a number of people who wanted to finish the Forty-Six by age 46. Incidentally, Susan finished her Forty-Six on Rocky Peak Ridge. She wanted that to be last because she had fallen short of the summit by a quarter mile or so on her first attempt.

The White Mountains were not planned as carefully. I was trying to knock them off as efficiently as I could, and it just worked out that the Bonds were all I had left (I'd originally thought about attempting them as Numbers 13, 14, and 15), so Susan and I did them from the Wilderness Trail the day after my 46th birthday.

Thought about saving Hamlin for my New England finale, but it didn't work out because of rotten weather at the wrong time, so 2004 began with two mountains remaining on my list. We did The Horn in August, and four days after Susan finished her Forty-Six we climbed Camel's Hump to complete my 115. She has 21 left in New England, all in New Hampshire, plus the two in the Catskills to polish off the Northeastern USA. I don't think it matters to her one way or the other where she finishes (or even if she finishes!).

Last edited:
Raymond said:
Mr. X, is it fair to not count ascents because you weren't "hardcore"? I'm not picking on you; this subject has come up before, and I never said anything, but it's always bothered me, this notion of not counting ascents as "official" for some reason or other.

I was softcore for 21 years, but I can't deny those ascents, even if all but one have been redone. It took me nearly 27 years to climb the Northeastern USA Four-Thousand Footers, but if I'd wanted to make it sound more impressive, I'd have climbed Hunter Mountain last summer, then I could have claimed to have done it (climbed all 115) in less than seven years (from October 4, 1997-September 11, 2004, instead of October 8, 1977-September 11, 2004)...

Welp, for the most part I don't count when I first did Washington because I was 10 and I feel I need to cover it again for a personal feeling of accomplishment. The hardcore thing was mostly a joke. In fact, part of the reason for saving it for last is the fact that Washington was actually the first mountain I ever climbed. I wouldn't suggest anyone follow my path of logic, because it probably makes no sense to anyone else.

I'll be there Blue! Just let me know when.

I have pondered this subject since my last post. And it looks like not only is Sarah finishing her 48 on moosilauke on the 11th... but I'll be finishing my 1st revolution of the 48 for JUST 2005 on the same day. And Moosilaukee is a FINE summit to have this celebration on!