Dix and Hough from RT 73

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTSpoons

Reaction score
Today, Saturday, Feb. 16th, a large ADK group lead by Claudia and three individual hikers, Rik, Lucky Lura, and me climbed Dix and Hough.

The day was cold in the morning but the bright sun helped you forget the crispness. The trail was still broken to Dix from the effort of Rik, Eric, Mimi, and me, last Saturday, on Dom Day. What a difference a broken trail mades. Last Saturday we reach the summit of Dix in about 7 hours, today Rik and I, reached the summit in 4 hours.

Once on top we caught up with the ADK group as they headed for the Beckhorn. The trip to Hough was over an unbroken trail. We reached the summit of Hough in roughly one hour, around 12:30 pm and were back on Dix a little after 2 pm.

The trip over to Hough was through the tangled mess of scrub pines and a couple of spruce traps.

The return trip was a bit daunting, you drop 800 feet and climb roughly 400 feet going to Hough. On the way back the climb to the Beckhorn looks overwhelming. In actuality it is not that bad but the visual effect of the steep climb plants the seed of, do I really want to go back this way, in your mind.

The views today were out of this world. I don't think there was a range you couldn't see. The clear skies allowed you to view the snow covered peaks of the Green Mountains.

On this day Jim, Cara, and me completed our Winter 46...it was a great day to finish.

Happy trails..... :)

Congratulation Ron, for your 46W. I am happy to read that.
Finaly after the last weekend with an exhausting climb to Dix, you did it. And congratulation to Jim and Cara who completed their list at the same time with you.
I hope we will see you again, it was nice to chat together.

Last edited:
Congratulations again, Ron! (And Jim and Carol). It was great to meet you and Rik and the others. By the way, I ended up turning back just shy of South Dix. Should have done it much sooner but I forgot about the fact that Pin Pin Junior walks on water (does he know what a spruce trap is?!). Ended up back on Dix by 4pm and had a nice moonlit walk back to the car the last hour.
-Lucky Laura

Spruce traps? What is-it?

Hi every body.

Congratulaion to RTSpoons, Jim & Cara. :)

Congratulation for all your team specialy to Claudia and Rick. :cool:

Good job also for Sue I hope You had no trouble with the troppers!!! :rolleyes:

What is a spruce traps? :confused:

We think the best personne know this thing is Cory, ;) We used his head to stay over this strange thing some part between Time Square and Couche!!!!

Pinpin Junior.

P.S. Yvon You need to reread the first part of 8 mistakes, if vYou stay in the dark I will give more information at the next beer(s) gattering.

Ron,

A message from your friend Gordon who completed his W46 on Iroquois at about the same time Saturday on Iroquois:

"Congrats Iroquois Ron on your 46W, Climbed Iroquois Saturday in honor of your night spent there. A beautiful day.I met someone, Edward who said he knew you ( log name of Guiness, I think it was) in the group of three."