DIX via Hunters pass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADackR

Reaction score
since the trail head from elk lake is closed until december, i'm wondering if anyone has info about the access via hunters pass???

i'm looking for milage to the lean-to...
if it's often used, mileage to dix and anyother info that you deem necessary to know.

thanks in advance, i'm hoping to get there this weekend...

adackr..

:confused: All info on this approach is in the guidebooks (with the exception of lean-to usage), no?

maineguy said:
:confused: All info on this approach is in the guidebooks (with the exception of lean-to usage), no?
nice, thanks for the detailed info...

since i'm at work and was asking a question about something that i am unsure of and do not have the resources at my disposal, i figured i'd go this route...

It's 1.9 miles from the Clear Pond parking area to the trailhead at the Elk Lake parking lot.

So - mileage from Clear Pond to Dix via Hunter's Pass:
4.2 to Slide Brook Lean-to
5.6 to Lillian Brook Lean-to
9.2 to summit of Dix

Last edited:
Well, I'm at work also and don't have resources at my disposal either, but...I thought the trails thru the Elk Lake Reserve were closed, not just the parking lot on Elk Lake Road. Is this not true? :rolleyes:

He's looking to approach from the other side (Hunters Pass) on non Elk Lake Preserve land.

Last edited:
The trails are closed in the Elk Lake region, but the summits and connecting ridges s/b OK. You can come in over Dix, or in from the east and stick to the summits you should be OK.

The ELL doesn't want hikers parking in the normal trailhead lot, or tramping around the trails. Their guests are hunting and in addition to scaring off the game, they prefer to avoid the potential danger of hikers being mistaken for deer or bear.

I'm at work too. :) Was wondering...are any other trail heads closed or closing soon?

If my memory serves me (and it doesn't always) I believe it is 6.8 miles from Rt 73 to the summit of Dix.

i've gone into slide brook leanto that last 2 february's from clear pond for trips to dix and macomb. there's an area to park just before the caretakers lodge and trail register. the rode from the lodge back to the elk lake trail head is plowed by the care taker. from elk lake to the leanto may or may not be broken in, last year we broke trail.

two years ago we did dix from slide brook via hunters pass, the trail had been broken to the beckhorn trail junction. we broke trail from the beckhorn to the rt73 junction. the snow was like sugar and waist deep in spots, it just fell apart underneath us on the steep sections. at i point we reached a really steep section, like a small headwall where we had to use a fallen tree to climb to the top and then traverse left for like 10-15ft to get back on trail. the traverse ledge was only like 24 inches wide on crappy snow. it was great fun, i'd like to go back up via that trail in the summer to see what it's like without snow. we came down the beckhorn trail on our trip home, that was a fun down climb.

trail marks in hunters pass where the trail turns rigth, where pretty much non-existant at the turn. we went to far down that pass, came back and got lucky. we went up what kind of looked like a trail for the second time and found the marker like 100 yards further back. this was 2 years ago so things may have changed.

Why Trails closed??

I was going to do Dix, et al, and stay at the ELL. But the trails are CLOSED??

rup said:
I was going to do Dix, et al, and stay at the ELL. But the trails are CLOSED??

Hunting season, private property. Trails reopen to public access sometime in December. The Lodge is open for guests mid May to sometime in October. A pleasant place to stay and base hikes from.

G.

Last edited:
Approach to the Dix Range via Hunters Pass

Let me recommend that you go to my web site, www.adirondackjourney.com, where you will find all 46 of the Adirondack High Peaks with some 500 photos.

Every one of the 46 has its own page unless, like the Dixes, its a range, in which case I do one page that covers all the peaks in the range. I suppose there are 30 or so shots of the Dixes on the site, almost all of the trail and the view. Also, you will get some very nice shots of Hunter's Pass from the trail coming up from Elk Lake.

I guess I ought to point out that every page on my site is about the TRAIL, the VIEWS, and any unique points for that hike such as POINTS OF INTEREST and HAZARDS. I don't take photos of people because it ain't my life story or anybody else's. As I've told some of my friends when they get pissed off because I won't take their picture during a hike, "It's about the MOUNTAIN, Stupid!!!"

I hope you'll check the site out. I would be very interested in your opinion as to how I can make it more useful to all us die-hard hikers.

Also, I've done the Dixes many times so if you have some other questions I might be able to help you out. I will say this: the Dixes can definitely sneak up on you and do some nasty things. They're a world apart from the rest of the High Peaks.

Joel

If anyone hasn't seen Joel's site, DO IT! It is a wealth of info, maps, suggested routes that I find invaluable. I've done many a hike armed with a printout of one of Joel's maps and carried his hand drawn map of Time's Square in case I had a problem with that intersection.

By the way Joel, Thank You so much for that priceless site!

Joel, I've told you this in private (via e-mail) and now I'll do it in "public":

Adirondackjourney.com is hands down the BEST internet site for info on hiking the Adirondack High Peaks. The descriptions of the major trailhead parking areas is worth a visit in itself. The pics are great and the trail descriptions are right on and up to date. It's a work of art.

Keep up the good work.

masshysteria said:
If anyone hasn't seen Joel's site, DO IT! It is a wealth of info, maps, suggested routes that I find invaluable. I've done many a hike armed with a printout of one of Joel's maps and carried his hand drawn map of Time's Square in case I had a problem with that intersection.

By the way Joel, Thank You so much for that priceless site!

I strongly second that! We've visited the site numerous times, and it has been extremely helpful to us. One of the best ones of the area out there!

rico said:
After the hunting season, does the Elk Lake Lodge plow the road, or do you have to hike in from a closed gate further up the road?

yep, you have to hike/ski into the summer trailhead from the gate at clear pond...

i've done it twice on ski's...once we did the road in and out....the next time we did the road in and then took some trail out which led to the parking lot...i'm not sure if we were supposed to but, it was mid winter and i wasn't too worried about guests...

there was a guy plowing out the parking area when we got back to the car but he didn't say anything..