do you hike with a dog ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd9truck

Reaction score
today my kids ( Kate 7 and Caroline 9)were off from School so we decided to go for a hike the location and trail are unimportant but the events were unnerving. We were hiking down a trail shortly after our start when my 7 year old started to scream in a pitch that cannot be decribed. the emotion her sceams conveyed was shear terror. It crawled up my spine and entered my brain to trigger the primal emotion of protecting ones young. I spun around and shouted as loud as I could while bounding to my daughters aid. While puting my body between the dog and Kate I grabed the dog by the harness and shouted to my girls to get be hind me .Why ? because a second dog was bearing down on us with the owner lumbering down 400ft behind the trail a leash in each hand mumbling inefective commands. If it were not for the training and experiance of handleing amimals in an agetated state (running through someones backyard to put up a ladder at a fire or forcing someones front door to effect a search and rescue of the fire area.)I don,t know what the outcome would have been. I shouted comands at the on comming dog which slowed it down enough to give me an opertunity to grab its coller and then put there heads to the ground awaiting there owner . I can not stress enough how important it is to have your dog on a leash! my daughter is tramatized and I am as well for that matter. Please keep your dog leashed on the trails, Your house hold pet/member of the family is a strange animal to others I have never though about carrying pepper spay for bears but now I am thinking about carrying for dogs(owners) .This past summer my older girl was jumped on the trail up the brothers. I am sorry to burden anyone readihg this with such a down beat thead I am only trying to raise the levels of awareness of Individuals that feel the law has no validity.

<Moderator Hat>
There's no question here, so I'm going to close this thread before it becomes another dog war. Please respect this poster's opinions and let it go at that. Let's just be glad that no one was hurt.

To kd9truck: it sounds like you handled the situation well. We have a history of flaming threads about dogs on this message board. No matter how well intentioned they start, the always end up in the same bad place, so we'll just let your statement stand as is.
</Moderator Hat>

-dave-

Status
Not open for further replies.