documenting 46 high peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, I do have the ADK High Peak Guides from 1950 (p. 90), 1962 (p. D-2), 1972 (p. D-3), 1985 (p. 264), and 1992 (p. 30). Every single one supplies the name, purpose, qualifications, and address for The Adirondack Forty-Sixers.

I see you are correct. It's in the text and I missed it while I was just looking. Don't think I used the "Adirondack, NY" address though. The Morrisonville address sounds more familiar to me. But anyway, the information was easily enough attainable.

...By my rough count your questions have been answered about a dozen times in this thread. Are you now complaining that they weren't answered twenty-five or thirty years ago?

Ouch!! A bit of civility goes a long way, Daniel.

I think most of criticism in this thread has been directed at the 46er PROCESS, not individuals involved IN the process. Let's keep it that way.

OK, everyone, stop looking for it!

Thank you Daniel! Based on the pages you listed in your last post, I looked back through my book and yes! I found the address on page C-4 along with an explanation about the elevations not being over 4000 feet for all the peaks. It is in a section titled "Peaks Without Maintained Trails- The Trailless Peaks."

By my rough count your questions have been answered about a dozen times in this thread. Are you now complaining that they weren't answered twenty-five or thirty years ago?

No, Daniel, I'm not complaining at all. I just find it fascinating how the methods and intensity of promoting the 46ers has evolved over the years.

Sadly, I do not have the 1980 High Peaks Guide.

However, I do have the ADK High Peak Guides from 1950 (p. 90), 1962 (p. D-2), 1972 (p. D-3), 1985 (p. 264), and 1992 (p. 30). Every single one supplies the name, purpose, qualifications, and address for The Adirondack Forty-Sixers.

It's possible, but in my opinion highly unlikey, that the 1980 edition omits this information.

I have the 1980 edition in front of me. The information on the 46ers is found on p. C-3, C-4, and E-1-1. Address to write to is on C-4 (different address today, of course).

FWIW, last night, I dug out my 1980 "Guide to Adirondack Trails, High Peak Region, Tenth Edition." ... I may be wrong, but I have combed through the book and find only one instance where the term "Forty-Sixers" is even mentioned: From Page E1-1:

"By retaining the 46 we offer the visitor to the Adirondacks a single, contiguous climber's list, shared for the present by the two foremost organizations in the region, The Adirondack Mountain Club, Inc. and The Adirondack Forty-Sixers."

Strangely enough, there is no description of the 46ers organization. I couldn't find an address to write to, any mention of Grace, the Albany State Library, Historian Office, correspondents, or anything of the nature about what has been discussed here, whatsoever.

More than just mere mention, the first three paragraphs of this page (E-1-1) is devoted to the club's philosophy behind the list of mountains.

Ouch!! A bit of civility goes a long way, Daniel.

I think most of criticism in this thread has been directed at the 46er PROCESS, not individuals involved IN the process. Let's keep it that way.

You are absolutely right, and in an uncharacteristic display of self-criticism, let me note that the Forty-Sixer contact information was apparently removed from the 2004 ADK High Peaks Guide.

But if I can just make one more point: making up rules is just about the one sure thing clubs can do. In fact, rules essentially define a club. Complaining about them strikes me as not very useful.

I Don't think I used the "Adirondack, NY" address though. The Morrisonville address sounds more familiar to me. But anyway, the information was easily enough attainable.

Adirondack, NY address would had been Grace's Summer home, Boulders on Schroon Lake.
The Morrisonville Address more than likely was Ditt and Mary Dittmar.

You are absolutely right, and in an uncharacteristic display of self-criticism, let me note that the Forty-Sixer contact information was apparently removed from the 2004 ADK High Peaks Guide.

But if I can just make one more point: making up rules is just about the one sure thing clubs can do. In fact, rules essentially define a club. Complaining about them strikes me as not very useful.

And if you'll permit me one more point as well, Daniel - criticism is not the same as complaining, particularly when applied in a literary context. To characterize criticism as a complaint is often polarizing to a discussion, which stifles further exchange on this, or any other, topic.

FWIW, I found out about the 46ers while eating at the Adirondack Steak and Seafood company where they have (or used to have) a 46 ounce steak dedicated to those that have climbed the 46 High Peaks, etc, etc.

I just can't believe this thread went from a simple question to a debate :confused:

I first learned about the 46-R's when I was on top of Iroquios in the early 90's. At that time I think I had climbed like 10 or so.

I just can't believe this thread went from a simple question to a debate :confused:

Such is the fascinatingly unpredictable life of a forum thread. Once they get rolling you never know what direction they might go in.

I think a lot of interesting and valid points have been brought up.