Dog friendly trail??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redd

Reaction score
I haven't posted on the forum in a long time and I even had to cancel a winter backpacking trip this past year as I was just too busy finishing my PhD at Penn State and planning my wedding & honeymoon for April.

Now we (my bride and I) have relocated to Maryland - even further away then central PA - and I'm longing for the air, mountains, streams, and lakes of 'The North Woods'.

I'm trying to plan some sort of multiday loop hike around Lower and Upper Ausable lakes, taking in Colvin, Nippletop, Sawteeth, Pyramid and whatever else I can manage. The plan is to take along my 1.5 yr old dog (Shepherd mix) with me...I've been attempting to break him into a trail worthy companion, on the less technical trails of PA, MD and VA. Having been over the length of the great range, I know there are several sections on the west side of Gothics or Saddleback that may be too difficult for my dog, with ladders and steep pitches.

Any word of warning for the Ausable Lake region?? Should the Sawteeth trail from the lake be avoided by taking the Weld trail instead?

Thanks for the input!
Redd & Dakota

Your biggest issue with the Ausable Club/AMR area won't be the trails it will be the rules. Dogs are NOT ALLOWED (please don't push it) on ANY AMR trails. They will stop you and turn you back.

If you're looking for some trails that are better for dogs, what about a multi-day trip to Marcy Dam. You could climb Wright/Algonquin/Iroquois, Colden, Phelps, and/or Marcy.

peace
Oysterhead

Most of the Ausable Lake regain is part of the AMR, which doesn't let pets of any kind on their property. The mountains are on state land, but many of the trails that access them cross the AMR.

edit: Looks like MrOysterhead beat me to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the 'Heads-Up'!

I feel like a nim-whit for not knowing that the AMR does not allow pets on their lands. Thanks, so much for the warning.

I'll have to rethink the whole trailhead option, etc. I've been into Lake Colden several times from several directions.

Maybe that's my best bet, or I'll look for some solitude at the Wallface ponds.

I certainly don't want to stir-up any debate about dogs in the backcountry.

thanks again!
Redd

Redd,

Thanks for being so considerate.
I might add that if your pooch is new to hiking, you might want to avoid the crowded trails and trailheads. Colden, Marcy, Algonquin, Giant, Cascade are usually pretty crowded during the summer and fall months.
If you have your heart set on one of those, you might try a midweek outing to minimize interactions with other hikers.
Or...do something else or select a less travelled trailhead like the Upper works.

Less crowds and less people means your dog will have less distraction.

Panther Gorge. Arrive early at Elk Lake trailhead as the parking lot fills in the summer. Go during the week if you can.

I just climbed Marshall recently. Aside from the mucky section up top this would be a great soft trail for a dog. There is good water almost the whole way up.

Your idea of the back side of the MacIntyres is a great thought. Maybe hike Street and Nye along the way. The Algonquin Pass trail (I've hiked it twice from the col in two weeks) is much better dry than wet, but could allow you to loop back through down to Lake Colden.

Indian Pass and Avalanche Lake have some tough sections with ladders that could be a nuisance.