Dogtown

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnbill

Reaction score
This is a somewhat different trip report than those you are used to. It will take some study to determine exactly where I went. I will tell you that the place is called Dogtown and if you go to Rockport you will be close to the area.

I first heard of Dogtown about 30 years ago while in art school. It is a forested area containing many large boulders, originally deposited in a glacial moraine. Though the area offers no sweeping vistas, it seemed to possess a certain spiritual power for Roger W. Babson, the founder of Babson College. Sometime in 1930’s he hired unemployed stone workers to carve inspirational sayings into its granite boulders, eventually inscribing about 22 homilies and adages on the rocks. I tried to find the area a few times back when I first heard about it, but its location was only vaguely described and my searches were fruitless.

Years passed. I had to get a job and help mother. I tried to keep out of debt over the decades knowing that if work stops values decay. Eventually, as prosperity follows service, I had the time to try and find the truth about Dogtown. Thanks to my industry I eventually succeeded.

My hike through the area took most of a morning. The area is only open from dawn to dusk so you must be on time. I have great loyalty for VFTT and while wandering through the area I had many ideas of how I would describe my walk. Suddenly, as if inspired by the good words in the woods, it occurred to that the greatest kindness would be for me to leave the work of finding Dogtown to you. This would save the enjoyment of discovery for each of you to experience.

So, I will leave it up to you, gentle reader, to use your initiative and intelligence to figure out the location of Dogtown. I also hope that, for those of you who may already be familiar with this place, you’ll respect my ideals, show the integrity you are known for and let others enjoy the process of discovery on their own. It will take a bit of courage, I’m sure. But remember, never try never win.

To view all the trip photos, from start to finish, go here.

Thanks turnbill, your post was inspiring!!! I plan to bring my family this weekend. I think I know the location of Dogtown. It's amazing, but I think I spent a bit of time in the area in my younger days. We'll see....We're goin' "inspirational rock-baggin'" Thanks again!!! Darwin :)

I found 25 inscriptions on 24 different boulders on my hike. Since then, I've seen a photo of another boulder with the number "24" inscribed on it - so I guess I'll have to go back and find that one too. There are also two other boulders inscribed to commemorate the guy killed by a bull there. I found one of those, but didn't take a picture of it.

A very interesting place. Does anyone know of any books written about it?