Dolley Copp/Pinkham B Road still closed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My frequent shortcut between RT 16 and RT 2 in the Gorham/ Randolph area is still officially closed and was blocked off with orange cones as of yesterday. It is usually still signed closed but passable this time of year but I expect the heavy rains events in the last 6 months did heavy damage. The Horton Center on Pine Mountain, a summer camp is dependent on this road as well as the Pine Link Trailhead. The state usually works on it once the frost is out of the ground usually by mid to early May.

I'm sure it will open soon, the Horton center has got to be itching to prep for the summer.

I was headed toward Randolph last summer and met a truck towing a 24' enclosed trailer across Pinkham B, faster than I've seen any car do it. Rough road in a one ton truck, I go around.

Any reports on condition of the Zealand road? Is the paved section open to the campgrounds?
AS of a few days ago, the road is still closed. It never opens in April, they let the road dry out and settle from the winter or it would suffer from the heavy traffic.

Any reports on condition of the Zealand road? Is the paved section open to the campgrounds?
According to the MVUMs, most USFS roads aren't "supposed" to be open until 5/15. Some not until 5/25, 6/1, or 6/15. I feel like those dates are treated as more of a suggestion, though.

Zealand road generally has to be open earlier as AMC wants access to the helicopter landing zone off of FR 155 that starts on Zealand Road, that they use to supply Zealand Hut and Galehead as well as general hiking access to the Sugarloaf campgrounds and Zealand Hut. I find the roads tend to be opened when they have dried out unless there are repairs that need to be made. The state usually waits on Jefferson Notch Road to the week before Memorial Day (if there is not severe damage)

The good old days when VFTT crowd sourced actual road openings because no one else was doing it.

Of course, the WMNF at some point became the supplier of up to date road info and made it publicly available.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/whitemountain/home/?cid=stelprdb5183538
https://usfs-public.app.box.com/s/t3ekpa1fb8vf05jqltfx8wr9q55rnmdp Most of the updates are 2023.
In my experience, the best source for "up to date" road information is Trailsnh.com, NOT the Forest Service which is very late in updating their site, at least in the past.

In my experience, the best source for "up to date" road information is Trailsnh.com, NOT the Forest Service which is very late in updating their site, at least in the past.
Agreed. The Forest Service updates seem to be way after the fact. I was starting to wonder if TrailsNH had stopped operating because no one had brought it up to this point in the thread. Their road updates are generally pretty good.

I took a quick trip to trailsnh.com . No sign of a link to road conditions page. It is probably there since it has "forest road closing in the banner" if its there, its not obvious.

I took a quick trip to trailsnh.com . No sign of a link to road conditions page. It is probably there since it has "forest road closing in the banner" if its there, its not obvious.
Located within the green banner at the top of the home page, click on the i, it's the first selection in the drop-down menu.

Agreed. The Forest Service updates seem to be way after the fact. I was starting to wonder if TrailsNH had stopped operating because no one had brought it up to this point in the thread. Their road updates are generally pretty good.
Post #3

To look up the Forest Road status, choose "i" (for information) on the TrailsNH menu bar, then choose Forest Roads and Gates:

TrailsNH-Dashboard.png

To look up the Forest Road status, choose "i" (for information) on the TrailsNH menu bar, then choose Forest Roads and Gates:

View attachment 7682
Hey, I noticed you live in Goffstown, I do as well. Me and my dog train on the Uncanoonics, you want to join us for a hike sometime let me know. We typically climb them in the morning.