Don't leave home without your compass!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course there is a predicted magnetic pole reversal coming up one of these days/years that will take out both GPS and compasses so what will we need for a backup, a ball of string? :eek:

peakbagger said:
Of course there is a predicted magnetic pole reversal coming up one of these days/years that will take out both GPS and compasses so what will we need for a backup, a ball of string? :eek:

Don't forget that the pole reversal will mean that mag N will become mag S...so you'll have to compensate for such..... :p

peakbagger said:

No, not string, are you crazy? ;) It's breadcrumbs that we'll need. I mean it worked for Hansel and Gretel, right? It did work didn't it? I never remember how things end.

Toe Cozy said:
No, not string, are you crazy? ;) It's breadcrumbs that we'll need. I mean it worked for Hansel and Gretel, right? It did work didn't it? I never remember how things end.

Nope. The animals of the forest ate the bread crumbs, H&G then got lost, fell into the hands of the evil witch who fattened Hansel up to eat him, Gretel tricked the witch, they escaped, etc. etc. They used white pebbles to find their way home the first time, much better, even if LNTers objected.

At least we might live through it. At one time it was thought that due to the weakening of the magnetic field during the flip, that we'd all get fried by cosmic rays. Then later research showed the solar wind itself would protect us.

The sun's magnetic poles flip every 11 years.

adkleaddog said:
Don't forget that the pole reversal will mean that mag N will become mag S...so you'll have to compensate for such..... :p

I'd like to see Dougpaul, et al., jump in here, but there will be no change to the way your compass aligns. A compass catches the magnetic currents that envelop the Earth. The flipping of the Sun's polarity has nothing to do with a compass, unless you're hiking on the Sun :eek:

Also, we are at the least active part of the solar cycle. It will be a few more years before solar activity starts to perk up again, as it was back in 2002-2004. I anxiously await the acitivy increase because it sparks the northern lights :)

happy trails :)

forestgnome said:
I'd like to see Dougpaul, et al., jump in here, but there will be no change to the way your compass aligns. A compass catches the magnetic currents that envelop the Earth. The flipping of the Sun's polarity has nothing to do with a compass, unless you're hiking on the Sun :eek:
From what I understand of the current trends relating to the earth's magnetic field, none of us will be alive to see it happen. Also, emissions from the sun can affect the earth's magnetic field which shows up as a short term change in the magnetic deviation.

Also, we are at the least active part of the solar cycle. It will be a few more years before solar activity starts to perk up again, as it was back in 2002-2004. I anxiously await the acitivy increase because it sparks the northern lights :)
Ham radio operators also watch the solar activity--it has major effects on radio signal propagation.

BTW, the current evidence is that solar emissions will generally have only small effects on the GPS signals. I am aware of only one instance where any effect was observed. The effects might be big enough to affect an aircraft making a GPS-guided landing, but are unlikely to cause problems for a hiker.

Doug

SteveHiker said:
MichaelJ's GPS is already like that. :p

Yes, yes, I remember that. But do remember that despite it, all of you were still going the wrong way!!!

(the electronic compass was 180° off, still no idea how that happened; fortunately, the topo map and track still revealed that our true direction, following the regular compass holders, was wrong)

Another article on the effects of the coming sunspot max: http://uc.gpsworld.com/gpsuc/content/printContentPopup.jsp?id=483210

The following sci.geo.satellite-nav thread includes the above article and some informed discussion on the effects: http://groups.google.com/group/sci....read/thread/8f97fb5eb14db979#3ce625531bfc9920
Pay particular attention to Sam Wormley's comments--he is very knowledgeable.

Executive summary: the basic problem is radio noise emitted by the sun can reduce the signal-to-noise ratio of the GPS signals. This is more likely to be a problem for high-precision surveying than consumer GPSes. If your GPS is having problems, wait until the sun sets...

Doug

Dear God! Why am I bringing this up?

Hi gang.

Thanks for enduring my perennial visit to these forums.

It is also said by some heretical blasphemers (is that redundant?) that solar activity is the actual reason for rising global temps AND rising CO2 levels! A paleoclimatologist names Dr. Robert Carter says that the idea that higher CO2 levels cause higher global temperatures is like saying that lung cancer causes smoking!

Okay. I'm going to go hide in a cave until this is over...

Bye.

N'E

For some reason the link to the noaa articles did not work, but if you want to make up your mind about Bob Carter, you should check out both sides out the argument.

Here is info about Bob Carter and what he says about Climate Change.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~glrmc/

Here is an article critiquing what he says
http://www.logicalscience.com/skeptics/bobcarter.html

It may be worthwhile to read both set of arguments and then draw your own conclusions. I disagree with Bob Carter. Climate change is real whether you believe it or not. Anyone who wants to learn how they can reduce their own carbon footprint can PM me. Lets not make a discussion out of it.

warmth

Nobody can deny that the climate is changing. However, the debate must go on with regard to whether it's the fault of humanity or if it's just one of those things.

I haven't made up my mind about it because I don't have a climatological labratory in my home. If we're at the mercy of the scientific community to keep us informed, them we simply MUST hear all sides. Not just Al Gore's.

N'E

Grandaddy said:
Now, what does Al Gore have to do with solar flares and thier ramifications on GPS navigation?
Actually, the 11-year sunspot cycle does have a minor effect on climate, but it is relatively easy to separate from the longer term trends.

Global warming itself has no effect on GPS.

Doug