Don't put away the snowshoes just yet.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I've read several posts lately wondering when forest roads are opening (no time soon), how much snow there is higher up (lots), and whether to take snow shoes (yes). I also just read somewhere that the average snowfall on Mt Washington in April is in the range of 3', in May 12", and the Big Wind of 231 mph caused by the Perfect Storm was in April too (1934). Here's the rest of the story of the hiker who got stranded overnight in Crawford Notch Monday (from the Lowell Sun), another reminder that spring comes slowly to the mountains:

Hiker safe after night on slopes
night on slopes
By ANDREW RAVENSand ROBERT MILLS, Sun Staff

John Jackson didn't panic when he lost the trail he was hiking along Monday, but as darkness set in, he realized he would have to spend an extra night in the chest-deep snows of the White Mountains.

Luckily, the Carlisle resident had most of the equipment he needed to do that, and after getting 12 hours of sleep on a night he hadn't planned to spend in Crawford Notch, he was rescued yesterday morning by crews whose bravery he now admires.

The one thing he wishes he had taken with him? Snowshoes.

Jackson, 31, had planned to take a two-day hike over a trail on Crawford Notch, the middle of three notches that divide New Hampshire's White Mountains. To the west is Franconia
Notch, where Cannon Mountain looms. To the east is Pinkham Notch, where the auto road climbs to the summit of Mount Washington.

He had scouted the trail he was hiking, looking at plenty of maps and reading recent Internet postings from others who had hiked it, but the preparation stopped paying off when the painted blazes that marked the trail disappeared.

From the warmth and safety of his home last night, he said he wasn't sure if the blazes had been covered by snow.

“I'm not sure why I lost the trail,” he said. “Several rescuers said that section of trail is not well-marked.”

Fortunately, Jackson was armed with maps, a compass and a Global Positioning System, so he knew he could eventually use his gear and a nearby stream of water that was draining down the mountain to get to safety.

“I looked at my map and basically knew where I needed to go,” he said. “I followed the drainage down about five miles, but then it started getting dark, so I decided to stay another night so I wouldn't break a leg walking down the creek in the darkness.”

That's when he broke out his tent and winter-rated sleeping bag, and curled up without even cooking dinner.

In the meantime, his brother, Michael Jackson, had reported him missing since Jackson had said he planned to be off the trail by Monday. The rescue crews that set out in darkness to search for his brother found him yesterday morning.

Last night, John Jackson said he was thankful for, and impressed by, the bravery and skill of the rescuers, noting that the trail they traveled in darkness to find him had been difficult even in daylight.

“We're thankful that we succeeded in finding him,” said Capt. Martin Garabedian of New Hampshire Fish & Game. “It's not advisable to hike alone, but Jackson was smart enough to let someone know when and where he was planning to hike, and when he was expected home.”

Jackson escaped without need of medical treatment and was only cold and tired when he was found.

“I was blown away by the rescuers and what those guys are willing to do on such short notice,” he said. “The story here is that those people are there should something like this happen.”

He said the presence of rescuers wouldn't prevent him from taking even more safety precautions next time he hikes. He said the incident will not keep him from hiking again because it's what he loves to do.

“I'm certainly going to think twice about going into the winter environment by myself again,” he said. “Maybe I was overconfident.”

Fish and Game officials make about 170 to 180 mountain rescues a year. They encourage hikers to learn more about safety at www.hikesafe.com.

So Michael Jackson is somewhere else in the news now? Oh Brother! :p

Here's the good news. They've started drilling the ice out of the Auto Road in hopes of a May 8th opening (maybe).

Crews begin annual clearing of Mt. Washington Auto Road

PINHKAN NOTCH— It’s business as usual when it comes to removing winter from the eight-mile road to the summit of 6,288 foot Mt. Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast. As heavy rains poured down on lower elevations on Sunday, April 3, nearly five inches of snow fell on the summit of Mt. Washington adding to the total of 223.2 inches so far for the season (as of March 31), 33.1 inches above “normal”. Mt. Washington is known as the home of the “worlds worst weather” having recorded the highest wind speed ever - 231 mph in 1934. The greatest snowfall ever recorded on the summit was 566.4 inches in the season of 1968-69. The Mt. Washington Auto Road opened as the Mt. Washington Carriage Road in 1861 and is the oldest man-made attraction in America. This will be the 144th consecutive season of operation.
Each spring, the Road Crew faces the challenge of clearing the snow and ice that has accumulated on the Auto Road with the goal of opening the road to the summit so visitors traveling in their own vehicles and on guided tours can experience the famous views of five states, Canada and beyond. The extreme weather and terrain is very much a part of the attraction for many of the visitors to the road.
Mt. Washington Auto Road Foreman John Gardner points out, “The snow actually helps protect the Auto Road from elements like wind and water runoff from melting snow.” According to Gardner, a 31-year veteran of the Auto Road and Road Crew Foreman for 15 years, “the trick is to get the culverts clear of ice so the water can flow under the Auto Road – not through it. We’ve seen large areas of the Road just disappear and the higher we go, the harder it is to repair.” The Mt. Washington Auto Road has over one hundred culverts and an average grade of 12% with a 22% grade on the last 50 yards.
Using bulldozers, backhoes, graders, and ice drills, the Road Crew can find snow depths in excess of 20 feet in the area known as Cragway, about 5000 feet above sea level. Once crews have removed the snow and ice, they begin the difficult process of repairing damaged and missing sections of the road. The Auto Road has its own gravel pit for the purpose of rebuilding and maintaining the road. It is not unusual for the Road Crew to make great progress only to have to clear fresh snow that falls in the process as the average snowfall in April is 42.7 inches and 12.5 in May. After opening in early May of 2002, over 40 inches fell and delayed opening for weeks.
Opening day for 2005 is projected for May 8, weather and conditions permitting. In the early days of the Carriage Road, shovels and picks were used in hopes of getting open by the fourth of July. For more information about the Mt. Washington Auto Road call 603-466-3988 or visit www.MtWashingtonAutoRoad.com.

I just don't understand

Hopefully this won't turn into a rant thread but I can't figure out why people don't bring snowshoes. It is so much more fun to walk on top of the snow. Is it just inexperence? I see trip reports where "we left our snowshoes in the car". I did that-once-and then learned my lesson. Maybe that's how everyone learns.

Live and let posthole

I don't mind postholing, so I am frequently one of those people without snowshoes. I am in good shape, so on a nice day the extra effort required is more of a challange than a threat. If it becomes too much, I turn around. Or, if I am very destination-orientated that day, I carry my shoes just in case. But I have been known to posthole with my shoes on my pack. I find snowshoes clunky and only use them when absolutely necessary. While some people might need education on this issue, I think that many people enjoy the freedom of barebooting, even if it means sinking into the snow.

As for trail conditions, I really hate those late spring snow whalebacks in the trail that snowshoes create - if more people barebooted, those whalebacks would break down faster. :)

Snowshoes

Well, I agree to some extent that people can posthole if they want to, but I have to wonder if most that do so are in fact as strong and experienced as our chomp.

I still am surprised to see so many posts, by supposedly experienced winter hikers, to the effect of:

"Please tell me which trail is packed/broken etc., so I don't have to bring snowshoes."

"Where can I hike where I don't need snowshoes, because I don't own them, don't want to rent them, don't want to borrow them, and don't like them, but I love winter hiking."

or my personal favorite . . .

"I carried snowshoes once, and they never came off my pack, so I won't make that mistake again."

I'm not going to try (again) to convince anyone that snowshoeing is fun, or that carrying snowshoes in winter and early spring conditions is a wise and necessary precaution. I will, however, point out that this is a great time of year to buy snowshoes at huge discounts, new or used.

Tramper Al said:
I will, however, point out that this is a great time of year to buy snowshoes at huge discounts, new or used.

Absolutely. In addition, you don't need to get top of the line shoes to have a good time. You don't even need to get shoes in your weight range. Sure, if you want to break trail up a 4K in fresh snow, you sould have a good set of shoes. But to prevent sinking in on broken trails, and to have something that provides a measure of safety, you don't need that.

Most of the time in the Whites, I carry the MSR Denali's withOUT the extentions. I am about 250 lbs in with winter with gear, and those shoes are rated about 180 lbs I believe. However, if I am going somewhere that I know has tracks, that is what I carry. If I am going to be breaking trail, I carry my larger (and heavier) Atlas shoes.

That all being said, a cheap pair of Tubbs will do the trick in the spring. For those on the list without shoes, here are a couple of deals that I found on the web for less than a C-note:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.71357/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.71264/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...arent_category_rn=22000465&vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH

I look at snowshoes like the first aid kit. I'm much happier when I don't have to use them - but they get carried along if I'm expecting snow.

You don't always need them, but when you do, you do.

I'm still looking forward to being able to leave the extra weight at home as soon as it melts.

I'm very happy he is back home and safe but am still surprised by this. When solo don't you typically carry MORE gear than you would travelling with a group? Solo, winter, night - I'm not afraid of, but with the margin for error being so tight it's risk management time.

God Bless all the SAR volunteers, let's not give them more work than they need.

Waumbek said:
All it takes is one broken ankle, twisted knee, or wrenched hip to see the real beauty of snowshoes in late-winter breakthrough conditions.
Another thing I fear is bare-booting downhill in potential postholing conditions--your foot can suddenly go in to about knee depth and if
you fall forward, you risk hyper-extending the knee. Not something I
want to try...

McRat said:
I look at snowshoes like the first aid kit. I'm much happier when I don't have to use them - but they get carried along if I'm expecting snow.
I regard snowshoes as just another tool to be used when conditions dictate or when they are more efficient than without (which may be bare boots sinking in only 2in or so). I'm equally happy either way.

I prefer to bring them if there is any reasonable chance that I may need them. That way I don't risk having to turn back because I don't have the proper tools, am covered if the snow softens during the day, and keep
the option of going off the packed trail.

Doug

Last edited: