Dorset Peak Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elhefe007a

Reaction score
I recently(yesterday) did Dorset peak in Vermont with my father. It was his second time on the mountain, he previously did it in 1983, however he doesn't remember actually going to the North peak back then. (Granted, it was 23 years ago, but hey.)

Does anyone know if there ever a time where the South peak was considered the summit of Dorset, and that was the required NEHH peak?

Is the north peak the one with the tumbled-in cabin? If so, I think it's always been considered "the peak", but will defer to people like Dennis & Roy as they've been in this peak-bagging racket much longer than I.

I believe the NE "cabin" peak was always the one for NE100, note that it was shown as higher on the 15' quad too:
http://docs.unh.edu/VT/pawl97se.jpg

Since the fire tower was on the SW peak there were probably many who considered that the summit. There are several instances where a fire tower was put at a lower spot due to better foundations or viewshed.

elhefe007a said:
Yes. The south peak has the BBQ Grill/Fire Tower combo.
Is the man's tie still there? IIRC, it was more visible on the way back.

Do you suppose someone is finding a good use for some of those awful ties dad's are known to get on Father's Day?:eek:

Have only been up there a couple of times, only noticed the one tie, but it's been 2 or 3 years.

elhefe007a said:
I recently(yesterday) did Dorset peak in Vermont with my father. It was his second time on the mountain, he previously did it in 1983, however he doesn't remember actually going to the North peak back then. (Granted, it was 23 years ago, but hey.)

Does anyone know if there ever a time where the South peak was considered the summit of Dorset, and that was the required NEHH peak?

Although there have probably always been herd paths up there, until about 10 years ago (when snowmobilers apparently discovered the place) they were much harder to find. For many years the only real trail, which is/was described in the Day Hikers Guide to Vermont, stopped at the tower site on the south peak and one had to follow a herd path or bushwhack the extra half mile to the northeast summit, which has always been regarded as the true summit. If your father wasn't peakbagging, he likely stopped where the trail did, especially since it has/had a view and the real summit doesn't.