Dorset Peaks - VT Saturday 3/5/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLepore

Reaction score
Planning a winter climb of Dorset this Saturday, 3/5/05 using the Dorset Hollow Approach. Looking to start around 8:30 - 9am and will meet at junction of VT 30 and road. If anyone is interested they are welcome to join, let me know.

Does anyone know the driving conditions for Dorset Hollow Road? How far can one drive in?

Driving conditions on Dorset Hollow Road should present no problems. Last December, the morning after a snowstorm, I found it already clear and easily traveled while the nearby state highways were still a bit sloppy. It’s plowed to the end of the houses just beyond the point where Upper and Lower roads rejoin.

Just went up to Dorset Peak last Weds. The trail is easy to follow and was packed from a snowsled with 6'' on top. The hollow is well maintained. I parked at the end of the hollows where the trail starts. I took about 2 1/2 hours to get to the top. Snow is very deep at the top with major drifts.

MLepore said:
Planning a winter climb of Dorset this Saturday, 3/5/05 using the Dorset Hollow Approach. Looking to start around 8:30 - 9am and will meet at junction of VT 30 and road. If anyone is interested they are welcome to join, let me know.

I may be up for it... I will be up that way, & was thinking of taking skis up on Sat. Would be coming over from Wardsboro, so start time should be no problem. All depends on my knee... this will be my first time out since injuring it on MLK weekend, & don't know how things will go.

I have never accessed it from Dorset Hollow - always gone in from the road by Emerald Lake state park. Is Dorset Hollow Road well marked? I presume it is west of Manchester on 30, yes?

I have never been on Dorset Hollow Road. Although by the prior posts and vermont gazateer it looks like it should be marked.