Doubletop 4-12-9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We left with a group of 10 around 9:05 from Seager. Marc left about 30 minutes before us. Nice walk along the stream to the 'bear'. :D No hard stream crossings.

After this, up we went, slowly but surely. We arrived at the top around 11:45, having hit the 'rock' which had great views. Marc had been there by 10:15!

Windy and cold but no precip today. Some hard frozen snow here and there, so some donned micro-spikes or stabilicers, other stayed in bare boots. A few slips and slides, but par for the course.

Back down a 'lazy' route and out by 2:30. A nice group, and a beautiful day! :D

P.S. If you lost a compass up there, PM me.

yo Tom

thanks for the report! I make my second attempt on Double Top this weekend. I met you during my last attempt. What a day that was. You were so right about the nettles and the fog was crazy on top of Graham. This time, I am trying from Seager too, so your report helps muchly.

One ?, what is the 'bear'?

thanks for the report! I make my second attempt on Double Top this weekend. I met you during my last attempt. What a day that was. You were so right about the nettles and the fog was crazy on top of Graham. This time, I am trying from Seager too, so your report helps muchly.

One ?, what is the 'bear'?
Yes, I remember you. There are 0 nettles and 0 bugs now, so this is still a good time for off trail travel in the Cats.

I won't ruin the surprise, but you start the whack there. You will see it... :D

Good luck!

This was a great hike, I am really liking the Catskills right now. Usually I think of spring hiking as being complete crap -- Well it is, but not in the Catskills.

You New Englanders looking for big mountains without [much] snow and with little mud should really go down there right now. No nettles, no bugs, no leaves, virtually no snow [any snow is ice as opposed to rotten junk snow], good temperatures, good views. Basically it feels like mid-late october with longer days.

Last edited:
Woot, can't wait to get up there this weekend. Weather is looking great and I am going to finally finish all the 35ers. Woot!!!

Yeah, and the red pricker canes are still beaten down from the snow and the new barbs haven't sprouted yet.
Maybe pickup another Cat HH on Wednesday, and a pair more on Saturday.

Alan