Doubletop and Halcott and 2 completions of the Catskill 3500

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthNsky

Reaction score
Headed up Friday afternoon from PA and arrived in camp in Rochester Hollow around 6ish. Very nice place!

During the evening the rest of the gang arrived.

First on the list, Doubletop.

We got up early Saturday, 545am. After breakfast we headed over to Seager trailhead, hiked along Dry Run towards Big Indian, about a mile in, we crossed Flatiron Brook, passed the lovely waterfall, found "the bear" turned right and headed up the mountain, due south.

2 Hours later we summited, signed the register, took a break. IT was a tad chilly and breezy on the peak. After a snack, we headed back down, skipping the view, because we still had to climb Halcott. There is an open area that offered a nice view to the northwest just off the summit. We got a little off our bearing and descended a little too far to the right, but got back on and found the trail just a little east of where we left it.

We stopped for lunch at a little deli in Big Indian. Very yummy sandwhiches!

For Halcott, we parked at the waterfall on 42, followed the brook up to a saddle at 3100', then followed the ridge south to the summit. There are a lot of briars on Halcott. I looked and felt like I got into a fight with a cat.

We found the canister. Woot! I was a little buttkicked, but after almost 5 years or working on finishing the 35ers, it was a worthwhile burn.

It looked like a storm was blowing in, so we decided to descend straight down to the waterfaull instead of following the ridge to the saddle and then down the drainage. This meant a steep descent with a lot of rocks and traversing, but it got us off the mountain fast. It was pretty cool hiking through the native american burial ground.

Crazypace, who hiked many of the peaks with me also finished.

Blackflies were nasty. No snow or ice left on Halcott. Some ice at the top of Doubletop and a little snow here and there.

Thanks for the beta!

bigtime swarming. I had them in my eyes, ears, mouth. At times it was hard to see. I did get a few bites though.

It was worse on the hikes than in camp.

Great trip report, glad you liked the little campsite in Rochester Hollow. :) Was the deli the one on the corner of Rt 47 and Rt 28? If so, that place is pretty cool, plus it's sort of a local hang out. They also have good breakfast stuff..

Congratulations on the finish, those are an odd combination of hikes. Many times it's Halcott and Rusk.. :)

Jay