Down time between lists

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, what Dave said.

I'm making a half-assed attempt at redlining the Whites now, but I really doubt I'll get past the NH4k in terms of lists. With so little time, I want to go where I WANT to go, now where I HAVE to go.

If you are working on a list, you are doing it because you want to, not because you have to!

I know someone posted a list of lists somewhere but I can't find it. Could someone be so kind as to either post a link to a list of lists or post a list here. Thanks.

When we finished the NH48, we took one weekend off (I think due to rain) and then started right in on the NEHH list. Now that we have finished that we are going to enjoy hikes with others and continue to work on the Y-Alpine list for the rest of this year until Winter arrives when we will continue working on the NH48 in the Winter.

I am an out-of-the-closet serial peakbagger. Usually, I'll start thinking of the next list before I get done with my present list ... that way I can just pick right up with something I'm equally excited about. The only list I haven't followed through to completion is the NEHH (88/100). It just never really did it for me.

Complete lists include the Northeast 111 and all lesser included lists associated with same; Catskill 3500 and ADK Firetowers. Currently I'm working on a very long term project - State Highpoints (28/50). I am pretty sure at this point that the Southern Sixers will be next but I have at least a few years to decide.

Me? A peakbagger? Perish the thought! I'm just hiking really nice places and haven't worked on a list since 3/18 on the Wildcats (unleee of course you count those nice 3K peaks that I've been visiting lately;) I have NO chance at finishing THAT list!)

On the other hand, bigmoose: I'm here when you need me ;). I'll be back to list chasing on 8/20 in the ADK's and then again come winter. I need to figure out what my 12/26 hike is going to be: only 8 left for WNH48! This could be the year for me to finally finish that one!

Regarding state highpointers... Snowshoe and I are trying to see if we can put together a NJ/PA/Hudson Valley gathering sometime in the fall. The High Point Monument in NJ is now reopened (as you can walk inside and up it) so that makes the high point in NJ a much more fun hike. And I haven't been in the monument since I was a small teenager.

So those interested in doing NJ's high point, there are some nice dayhikes in the area or one could simply drive to the monument but that would be too easy. The AT goes right by it so there are longer hikes on the AT as well.

Jay

Sherpa: Consider that we'll be state highpointing WA soon.... :) and Oregon if all goes well too.

Jay H said:
Sherpa: Consider that we'll be state highpointing WA soon.... :) and Oregon if all goes well too.
I think we have a very decent chance to summit those, but I have about as much hope of getting to the top of some of the others as I have in climbing K2. Jerimoth Hill is an adventure to me! Denali? I think not for me.

Jay -

Sounds interesting. Depending on when it is, I may join you. Are you aware the Official State Highpointers Konvention is in NH this year - 9/2 and 9/3? I can't make the Konvention proper but it looks like I'll be attempting my first Presi-traverse on 9/4 with a 35 state completer from Colorado. :D

As I was getting close to finishing the NH48, my perspective changed. While I am quasi-casually working on other lists now (NE67, NEHH, and NHHH), it is not a driving force and does not solely dictate where I am going (though it does play a small factor).

Actually, I'm more interested in helping friends finish their 48. I really enjoyed having friends there to share it with me and I want to be there for others acompishments.

Mark S, yeah, Snowshoe and I have been discussing this since like last year, but then he went ahead and had his first born son, Joined the academy and started to work on his house. That lazy b*stard... ;) Whenever this becomes more serious, we'll sure to post something in trips&events.

One can hit the high point and then the state tripoint (NY/PA/NJ) with some hip waiders. One can kayak the Wallkill, hike the AT, bag the peak, etc.

Jay

P.S. My first hike in the Presidentials was a presi traverse and I did summit Washington so there's another high point done this year. A week later I went to Mass and did Greylock with TMax and banged out another HP. Good luck and have fun with your traverse though.

Last edited:
List Downtime

Why have any down time at all. I have found that I am usually working on more then one "list" at any one time, anyway.

Like when doing the Catskill 35 and then the Adirondack 46 and then while doing sections of the Appalachian Trail I found that alot of those mountains were going towards completing the NE4k's or the US high peaks. For me one list just led to another. And when I run of out "lists", I'll just go to the mountains and forests and wilderness lakes because...it's all good.

The only down time I experience is when I can't get away to the mountains, due to injury or lack of funds or something. I don't believe in resting on my laurels.

Downtime lists...and more

How about "downtime" between expeditions.....never mind the "lists".
I have just finished a major Sierra Cal. trip and now just joined this group to find more local interests, but hope I don't get coaxed into the list thing.

I am a long time member of the NH climbing community for last 30+ years, and I have nearly completed the NH48 4K's with only the lower less popular peaks to remain. AMC has no time limit, only that "peaks must be completed in ones lifetime", so I guess I'll keep plugging along and eventually get there.

How about a new goal like "The Mt. Adams 100", which I have nearly climbed as many times and is arguably the most difficult mountain to climb in the Whites.
Or how about a goal like "reach 10,000 vertical feet" in say, so many days or hours?

I managed 11,000 vertical feet over 3 backcountry days in the Prezzies once, which amounted to climbing Mt Washington several times and the rest of the Prezzies over the remainder period.
I must confess outright that I gravitate to the Presidential Range for most if not ALL of my NH journeys, talus, loose talus…just love that all that talus...!

My point/opinion is: Do what ever you heart desires, but do it for yourself.
The mountains are a great experience and retreat from everyday life, get in whatever you can.

Brownie

I am currently hiking the midstate trail. I will reach the halfway point next weekend. It's a list of it's own really. 92 miles of trail! Enjoying it thus far, a few "tough" areas (the "tough" areas are mentally trying, not physically. There is more cartpath/paved road walking than I prefer). In any event it's going to be pretty nice to be able to say that I walked from the MA/NH border all the way to the MA/RI border.

What's next? NH48 I think.

I've been working on the NH 4Ks for a couple of years. I now have 42 of the 48 done. I'll finish this year. After that, no more lists for me. I'm going back to just hiking whatever I want, as often as I can.

Steve