Driving golf balls on Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewHampshire said:
Too bad a few of us could'nt introduce this moron to a real mans sport.......football........by tackling his a$$ and running his butt down the auto road trailing behind one of the vans. :eek:
Brian

He would probably die of a heart attack :cool:

That man sure seems to not understand courtesy, is what I'll be drawing from all the replies. Least we need to have a putting range on top of Washington. :mad:

I'm glad I didn't see this guy. I don't know how I would have gotten my trekking pole back after he got a real stiff Black Diamond Flintlock three part colonoscopy!
I was leading a rock climb last weekend at Crow Hill and someone hiking over the top of the cliff on the Mid-State trail decided to start throwing softball sized rocks off the cliff. Fortunately they tossed them well into the woods away from the climbers at the bottom of the cliff. They were long gone by the time we topped out. I would like to assume that this was just some ignorant kid. - One of the reasons I always wear my helmet at the crags. Maybe I need to wear one hiking now as well!

Probably drove up, amazed at the hikers sweating their butts off. I hate it when they ask, "you really walked up here? Y'know there's a train and a road, right?" How many hikers do you think they pushed away from the summit for photos, "Do you know how much I paid to get up here?"

wouldnt it be nice if you were there and had the authority to make them retrieve the balls citing the leave no trace policy. :p

Woah, giggy, don't hate the game, hate the player! I've actually gotten into golf recently and have found it to be a fun game. (Notice "game" and not "sport.")

I think I would have lost it on the dude if I had seen him.

How many actual firsthand accounts do we have of someone driving golf balls into Tuckermans Ravine? This one has "Urban Myth" written all over it. It seems like a good opportunity for some to rail against people who prefer to experience Mt. Washington in a different way than we do.

Last Saturday??? There were lots of people last Saturday on the Tucks side of the Rock Pile. I was hiking up in the afternoon but I guess I missed the golfers....I am surprised no one was hurt

Pig Pen said:
How many actual firsthand accounts do we have of someone driving golf balls into Tuckermans Ravine? This one has "Urban Myth" written all over it. It seems like a good opportunity for some to rail against people who prefer to experience Mt. Washington in a different way than we do.

I agree... nicely said. Also, I think golf is a sport.

I tend to agree with Pig Pen , All some one would have to do is bring the aleged golfer to the attention of the state park personel that work there .
I am sure he would have been stoped.
There is a similar story about a person driving golf balls from the Summit of MT Evans In CO there is a road tht goes to just below it's summit. and there are Forest service personel there also.
There is also a story about the guy with golf balls on Pikes Peak there is a cog that ascends it also, niether story is true .

sapblatt said:
"The Dalai Lama is a big hitter...he launched a drive 10,000 feet off the glacier"
- Carl Spackler

Seriously, these people are nuts and should have had their heads put on a tee!
But, on their deathbed, they will receive total consciousness, which is nice....

That movie cracks me up. I'm suprised no one has referenced Kramer hitting a golf ball into the blow-hole of a whale.
Oh wait, I just did! :D

Smitty

This has 'myth' written all over it. Better get Jamie and Adam from MythBusters on this!

sapblatt said:
"The Dalai Lama is a big hitter...he launched a drive 10,000 feet off the glacier" - Carl Spackler

This thread also reminds me of another hilarious flick, where Delta member Otter advises Boone that your golf swing can be effective if you "just follow through". He then hit the horse-mounted Neidermeyer on the noggin with his 200 yard drive. That horse, of course, played a more important role in this film. Does anyone NOT know what film this is?

The moral of the story is never climb Mt. Washington via a horse.

Last edited:
marty said:
This thread also reminds me of another hilarious flick, where Delta member Otter advises Boone that your golf swing can be effective if you "just follow through". He then hit the horse-mounted Neidermeyer on the noggin with his 200 yard drive. That horse, of course, played a more important role in this film. Does anyone NOT know what film this this?

The moral of the story is never climb Mt. Washington via a horse.

Marty - As I am sure you know...that is Animal House!

HEY Neidermeyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Bobby said:
Probably drove up, amazed at the hikers sweating their butts off. I hate it when they ask, "you really walked up here? Y'know there's a train and a road, right?" How many hikers do you think they pushed away from the summit for photos, "Do you know how much I paid to get up here?"

This happened to me when I first did Washington 4 years ago. I went to bag the summit and I had a friend from Lake Tahoe who had never hiked in the East before. So we went up to the sign to bag the summit, let some others who were there first get their pics in, and then moved in for the bag when it was our turn. Just as I step on the summit rock, I hear this totally obnoxious yell, "GET OUTTA THE WAY! YOU'RE IN MY PICTURE!!!" I turn and this lady in little shoes, designer capri pants, with purse, is trying to pose her family in front of the sign and she's gestulating rudely and pissing and moaning about us ruining her precious summit photo op.

I sort of let my temper slip, and replied in a very uncharacteristically rude fashion and told her what I thought about her personality and behavior in terms that were rather specific. Later, I enjoyed a very quiet lunch a few hundred yards below the summit facing Monroe, away from the crowds.

blueridge said:
This has 'myth' written all over it.

I don't know about golf balls but I have seen kids throwing rocks quite often. I have even seen it on Wheeler Peak in New Mexico where there is no road to the top. When I tried politely to explain to the 2 teenagers that the trail switchbacked below them and that rocks the size of footballs will do a LOT of damage if it hits someone, they just looked at me, rolled their eyes, called me a nasty name and proceeded to throw the rocks. I even told them that there was a little 7 year old boy hiking up 10 minutes behind me and that the rocks could likely kill him if they hit him, they still continued. I had to walk away, I was so mad.

I almost said something to the 2 people descending as I continued to ascend but kept quiet only to realize a few minutes later that those 2 people were the parents of the teens. Guess I should've spoke up.

So golf balls may or may not be a myth but the rock throwing happens quite often.

sli74

sli74 said:
So golf balls may or may not be a myth but the rock throwing happens quite often.
sli74

sli74, One would think the teens you encountered would know better.

What kid could resist throwing a seemingly endless supply of rocks? It might not occur to a child that this behavior is dangerous or destructive, but any responsible (and attentive) adult (parent or other person hiking with the child)would have either instructed him/her ahead of time not to do it or would quickly put an end to that behaviour.

Last edited: