Dry River Trail (US-302 to Lakes of the Clouds)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caveman77

Reaction score
Dates of Hike: August 18 - 21

Trail Conditions: The 1.7 miles south of the suspension bridge were dry, flat, and easy. The first crossing of the Dry River, in thigh-deep water, was treacherous, potentially fatal, exciting, and manageable after spending 10 minutes to scout out a spot to cross. I guess it all depends on your comfort level. (The suspension bridge is still clearly labelled as closed and illegal to cross.) There had been little rain in previous days, so the river level was relatively low.

The next 4.6 miles until the Shelter had muddy patches and one more river crossing requiring care.

The last 3.3 miles (from the shelter to Lakes of the Clouds) were extremely muddy, with many inadequate stepping stones or log bridges. Downed trees were passable. Consistent with wilderness standards. The trail was rerouted in one spot making a pointless down-and-up. Travel was very slow for me (0.8 mph) on this stretch, but I had a heavy pack and took time to avoid getting mud on me.

Special Equipment Required: Footwear for two river crossings and mud.

Comments: Spent night at clean Dry River Shelter #3. Made a detour to bag Isolation. Made loop over Washington, Southern Presis, and Webster Cliff.