DSLR Camera Holder

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the very early pioneers with this sort of thing was a guy who lived near me back at the beginning of the backpacking boom (i.e., back near the start of the Cenozoic). He sold lots and lots of his Kuban Hitches but eventually got out of the business.

The chest harnesses work somewhat better for binocs in my experience because the camera lens mass (for lenses typically used in outdoor photography) tends to impart some motion in rough terrain regardless of the hitch style. (I'm sure someone will be along to contradict me soon enough.)

Another alternative is the sling style exemplified by the BlackRapid RS-Sport Extreme Sport Strap. I've got one that was handed off to me by my wife, but I haven't used it very much yet.

I have not, but can see how it would be a nice/easy hands-free option for perfect weather...unlike what we enjoy in the whites. I'd be concerned about the camera's exposure (HA HA...pun intended!) to the elements. And, I would still have a case or ditty bag with another lens, spare battery, etc.

I carry mine on my hip, in a carry case, fastened front and back with carabiners. Kind of a self-designed system, but the carabiners keep it from swinging and it is protected and almost as readily available.

I have not, but can see how it would be a nice/easy hands-free option for perfect weather...unlike what we enjoy in the whites. I'd be concerned about the camera's exposure (HA HA...pun intended!) to the elements. And, I would still have a case or ditty bag with another lens, spare battery, etc.

I carry mine on my hip, in a carry case, fastened front and back with carabiners. Kind of a self-designed system, but the carabiners keep it from swinging and it is protected and almost as readily available.

Funny, KV. The web site suggests putting a "shower cap" on if the weather has any sprinkles. I doubt I would do that, but for nice weather, and under $40, it might be a good option. Still, 'biners can work well, too. That's what I do on my sternum strap with my case for my pocket camera. When I had it in my pocket, it got too much moisture and clouded pictures. My pack has an extra loop on the sternum strap which is good for holding the case there when I take my pack off. The larger camera stays home or is mostly in my pack. I'd like to use it more often.

Funny, KV. The web site suggests putting a "shower cap" on if the weather has any sprinkles. I doubt I would do that, but for nice weather, and under $40, it might be a good option. Still, 'biners can work well, too. That's what I do on my sternum strap with my case for my pocket camera. When I had it in my pocket, it got too much moisture and clouded pictures. My pack has an extra loop on the sternum strap which is good for holding the case there when I take my pack off. The larger camera stays home or is mostly in my pack. I'd like to use it more often.

Ellen, I also used to carry my DSLR in my pack. But it was a hassle to get to it and forget about spontaneous shots. It didn't take long to get used to the extra weight on my hip.

My girlfriend and I met a woman and her husband on the side of Mt. Webster (Squam Range) a few weeks back using a Backcountry Solutions Keyhole. It looked like a cool system to keep your DSLR handy (she was using a Canon T1i.) She had nothing but good things to say about it, so take that as you will. :)

I carry my DSLR bandoleer-style (on my hip) using the standard strap (from the opposite shoulder). This can be done with or without a case. Or I carry it in my pack.

On longer hikes, I tend to carry a P&S which fits in my pack or my pocket (in a case).

One can improvise a case with a fleece hat (padding) and a stuff sack for protecting the camera in one's pack. This is generally lighter and smaller than purpose-built cases.

Doug

Last edited:
Another option is Peak Design's Capture-Clip device. It's somewhat expensive, but it appears to be well built and has multiple applications.

https://peakdesignltd.com/

I don't personally own one, but a buddy of mine loves his. Like many others... I generally just bring a p&s when I hike, but when I do drag the DSLR with me - it safely goes in the top of my pack (I'm too afraid of slipping on a rock or banging into a tree limb).