Duct tape miracles needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtn-top

Reaction score
As Blue posted on another thread, she and I just did a Presidential traverse yesterday from Madison to Jackson. We both ended up with a few blisters on our feet. I happen to have a small one on the ball of each foot. Normally, this would be not be a big deal and I would just rest my doggies a bit until they healed, but I unfortunately do not have that option; I am headed out Friday for a week of Backpacking through the Pemi wilderness.

So, my question is this: We have all heard the sage wisdom of putting duct tape over areas prone to blisters as a preventative. Has anyone ever really done this and with what kind of success? Has anyone done this over a small, pre-existing blister? I am going to need all the help I can get so whatever advice people feel like sharing will be most welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
From what I've found, the real magic of duct tape for blister prevention is that it doesn't slip, come unstuck or otherwise ball up.

With that in mind, I have used it over existing blisters before. BUT...always with a gauze pad inbetween. As long as you leave enough "healthy" foot exposed to give the duct tape good purchase, you should be all set.

Do not, I repeat, do not stick the duct tape to the blister. Upon removal of the tape...well, let's just say you'll cry.

trailbiscuit said:
Do not, I repeat, do not stick the duct tape to the blister. Upon removal of the tape...well, let's just say you'll cry.

IO wouldn't say 'do not'. I would say, 'know that if you do, you may regret it.

However, a bit of pain on removal, may be the better choice. Only you can decide.

I've put duct tape over hot spots, forming blisters, full blisters, needle=stuck (emptied) blisters, and blisters that formed, then ripped open.

In all cases, the duct tape was the lesser of two evils.

Note: the glue stains your socks.

moleskin combination

Thanks for these great suggestions already.

My actual thought on this process might be to put moleskin beside the blisters then plenty of duct tape over the whole assembly. My concern was how long I could leave it on without needing to change it, and then the removal process itself and whether the tape would take the top of the blister with it. From the advice so far, it sounds as if it would although I like the idea of a bit of gauze on top of the blister to prevent the sticking.

A blister on the ball of your foot is bad news - plain and simple. I would pop these bad boys, let them drain and dry all week, and then duct tape the heck out of them on Friday. But that is me.

As for using duct tape in general, it is great but it probably won't hold too well on the bottom of your foot. The stuff is great, but my feet sweat a good amount, and I find that the tape will work itself loose. Make sure you use a good portion to the tape to try and prevent this problem.

FWIW - duct tape is the best blister prevention/treatment product that I have used. It is not quite as sticky as moleskin, but its thinner and, most importantly, its more slippery. I haven't met a blister yet that duct tape couldn't handle.

Bombs away

Thanks, Seeker- it looks like something worth checking into and it sounds like you highly recommend it.

Charlie,

You might also consider a Spenco Blister Kit. It includes a gel patch that may quicken healing but the big benefit is the protective tape. I found that it sticks to a sweaty foot better than duct tape. I’ve used the tape alone to prevent heel blisters and had it stay on for several days of hiking.

This is a problem that I have LOTS of experience with. For about 1.5 years and around 250 miles I've been non-winter hiking in a pair of Sportiva Makalu's. They have made miced meat of my feet on most hikes, esp the long ones. These boots just never broke in for my feet and are probably a little too small. All that said...

Let's leave prevention for another time, since you are looking to minimize the current problem that's already developed...

Terrible blisters and lost toenails have been my challenge in my boots. I have found that the best solution for me AFTER damage was moleskin followed by a nice large patch of duct tape extending AT LEAST one inch past the moleskin borders. If space on your foot permits, I would consider the 2-layer moleskin system with the first layer having a hole cut for the blister, followed by a top layer that covers over the hole, then the duct tape. (This method is too bulky for me, esp if adding a layer of duct tape, and is usually best only if it's on a new big fat blister gotten during a hike, or after a hike for comfort.)

Next however, the removal and reapplication issue will be your biggest challenge on your multi-day trip. (I doubt you can go the whole trip with the original setup on your feet because it just won't last.) Personally speaking, I would try to remove the duct tape at the end of each day while trying to leave the moleskin intact. (Perhaps a small thin gauze buffer b/w the moleskin and duct tape can help facilitate this removal and save damaging the blister site. Don't buld up the gauze though, just use it to prevent the duct tape from tearing off the moleskin from over the blister sites.) Reapply duct tape over the moleskin (or new moleskin if you've managed to replace it) and move on.

Personally, I have found that duct tape directly over the blister site is not the way to go if you intend to remove it at the end of the day. (I have used dt by itself, but not for multi-days.) It does more damage to the site and gives you less chance for solving the problem on a multi-day hike. (Not enough cushion, too much friction under the tape for the wound, and forget ever removing this thing without screaming and doing more damage.) Now I guess if the thing is healed up pretty well by your departure day then I could see going with just the duct tape as a stand-alone solution to prevent a reccurrance.

I would also bring enough ms, dt, and gauze to experiment while you're out there or to make adjustments if these methods or others don't work.

PS: I just got new boots (Sportiva Trangos-not the ice climbing version) and my feet loved me on the first 7 mile hike with these boots. Hopefully no more probs with brutalized feet! Good luck and when all else fails I just bear the pain and complain to my hiking partners a lot!:D

One last thing...those blister packs work GREAT. But not really the best for a post blister fix. They are best as a preventive measure, imho. If you are healed well by the start of your trip then I would really consider either plain duct tape or a blister pack.

Last edited:
I agree with Seeker. Blister Block is great! I have used it as a preventive measure with great success. Perhaps the biggest test was when I had a blister on my heel from some dress shoes I wore at work and I wanted to hike that weekend. I used the Blister Block and the blister was almost entirely healed in one day!!! I did put a fresh patch on before my hike as the new skin was still pretty thin. No problems at all. I always carry it with me when I hike.

one more vote for plain duct tape

This has been beaten to death already, but I have used plain duct tape on a blister in a pinch, left it on till the end of a trip (2-3 days), and then removed it after a beer or 2. Scrupulous cleanliness afterward prevented infection. I like the tape over moleskin idea, just make sure it's well sealed. I wonder if putting the tape in an oven or autoclave first would sterilize it? :eek: Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.