Duct Tape

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive always had it on my poles and have used it after quite some time. I also carry a roll of that white athletic tape, which I find very usefull when I dont want to use duct tape.

The times I have needed to use it, it did not work well. With one exception being fixing holes in down clothes. So I do not carry it. I do carry waterproof first aid tape that can serve similar purposes

I have found dental floss for sewing to be more practical for repairing clothes and packs just pre-thread the needle because that is a tough task with mittens on. Plus floss sewing repairs are quite robust.

4mm climbing utility cord is another useful repair material. Works great for splinting of snowshoes and bones (stronger than tie wraps), or for tying boot soles back on. Great for building stretchers

The times I have needed to use it, it did not work well. With one exception being fixing holes in down clothes. So I do not carry it. I do carry waterproof first aid tape that can serve similar purposes

I have found dental floss for sewing to be more practical for repairing clothes and packs just pre-thread the needle because that is a tough task with mittens on. Plus floss sewing repairs are quite robust.

4mm climbing utility cord is another useful repair material. Works great for splinting of snowshoes and bones (stronger than tie wraps), or for tying boot soles back on. Great for building stretchers

Ive always fixed my own gear and also make alot of modifications to gear I own. I can also sew very well. Years ago, I stumbled into Martins House of Cloth in Bedford and asked for some bomber thread to fix a backpack. The lady handed me a spool of upholstery thread. This thread has never failed me, Ive sewn packs, Gore-tex, gaitors and also sew on my pack patches ( which I have alot of). Trust me, a spool of this stuff should be in every fix-it kit. In addition, I bought a set of industrial sewing needles as I found I broke standard needles going into ballistic type fabrics. I use a flat rock as a thimble as well to penetrate tough materials.