E. Hale: Icing on the Cake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmoose

Reaction score
After whittling away at the New Hampshire Hundred Highest (which contains 108 peaks, go figure) the last few years, I was left with two: Fool Killer and South Hale. The Fool fell easily Thursday, Sept. 4, leaving South Hale for Friday.

After a soggy summer, the weather this week was superb, but the dew point rose as the weekend approached. I shoved off from the Zealand trailhead 7:30 Friday morning, a little bummed to find thick, humid air fogging the atmosphere. I hoped it would burn off.
Outside Zealand Hut, backpackers basked on the sun-bleached rocks of Whitewall Brook. Inside, I gobbled a piece of hut pastry from the self-service table. Nice boost! Then, off to the Lend-a-Hand Trail.
The hot sun began overpowering the mist and clouds as I pushed on through the glorious forest, a scenic mix of spruce and white birch.
I left the trail at about 3200', making a bee line for the South Hale ridge. Once on top, I hoped to find a moose path to follow, but didn't. No matter, the woods were open, so I took a bearing and continued. Then, right on cue, up ahead to the left, I saw two moose sprinting away from me atop a small ridge. I hiked to that spot and found the path, which I followed on and off to the highest bump, 3700', at the ridge's far west end.
The celebration of my NHHH finish was low key. Not even the moose came by to offer congratulations. No matter, it was an enjoyable moment.

I didn't stay long on the "peak." I had an encore planned.
Allegedly, South Hale has some nice views from ledges along the ridge's top edge somewhere, but the atmosphere was still thick and anyway, I had better viewing in mind. I followed the moose paths most of the way back to the Lend-a-Hand, intercepting it at 3450, just above a swampy area. Then up to Mt. Hale, my third visit to this mundane 4k.
Then the coup de grace, a bushwhack easterly to East Hale, a 3550' peak not on any list due to its inadequate col.
DMS from this site, one of the few to claim all 451 New England 3k's, had crowed about East Hale and its spectacular views, and I wanted to see for myself.

The whack wasn't difficult, less than a mile, and I pushed up onto the top, finding rocky outcrops with stunted bushes interspersed. Continuing, I came to a large cairn marking the bare top and, indeed, the views were outstanding. Thanks, DMS! The sensation was one of looking directly down 1600' into the Zealand Valley.
By now blue sky had replaced the misty overcast, but the humid air lingered, making the view less than picture perfect. But, anyway,

http://picasaweb.google.com/jtbyfield/EHale#

On a clear day, you'd get a great view of Washington, too, and the southern Presidentials. But, on this day, those images were murky.

From the summit cairn, it was a mile due east to my car, albeit early straight down, 900' for the first two-tenths or so. Cliff city. Returning to Mount Hale and taking the trails back, though, would involve six miles. I gulped and chose the direct drop.

The bushwhack back to the car provided the day's biggest thrills. I avoided the sheer cliffs that nearly ring the East peak, finding a steep chute to the south and avalanching down to a drainage which plummeted, finally, to some hobblebush-infested woods below. Whacking east, I eventually came to Hoxie Brook and crossed it, knowing I'd find a logging road on the other side that would lead me to the trailhead and my car.

All in all, a great day and a nice finish to an interesting list.

jt

NICE! I love the adding in of the additional peak of non list stature!
bigmoose said:
I gulped and chose the direct drop.
HA :eek: Were you trying to become famous as the guy who finished the HH and died on the way down! :)

Gets me itching to go to NH but I'm having to much fun playing around over here in NY, no moose trails and more blowdown, yeeha! :D

Yeah, I hear you on the Adk blowdown matter, but it wasn't the fractured forests that diverted me to the NHHH after doing 70/100 of the Adks...
The acrimony over private property, the hunting clubs and such over there got to be a little much... found no such issues over here in New Hampshire.
BTW, the avatar is me enjoying "the Potholers" in southern Adks...

Last edited:
bigmoose said:
On a clear day, you'd get a great view of Washington, too, and the southern Presidentials. But, on this day, those images were murky.
Awesome set of whacks to BOTH South & East Hale + an excellent trip report! And, you’re so right about there being great views of the Prezies on a clear day. Below are 2 photos taken on clear days from the East Hale Summit (one in Spring, and the other in Winter).

Also, a lot of this stuff is purely a matter of personal choice, but if you ever want to revisit East Hale again, you might want to give it a “whack” from the Hale Brook Trail. I’ve done it twice this way by going a short distance up the Hale Brook Trail to a point about due north of the East Hale summit, and then whacking nearly due south. This route gets a bit steep in spots, but it’s very easy whacking in open woods.
2845127940100435778S425x425Q85.jpg
2081346530100435778S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanx, 1HappyHiker, I was hoping for those views your camera captured.
Might have to get back up there some day when the atmosphere's clearer, and a whack from the north sounds good.

Is this South Hale? I was told that it is. This is from Lend-A-Hand looking roughly SW.

This seemed unnaturally tall and not quite tree-like, from the trail.

I had a nearly perfect cell phone signal on Hale, so I was wondering (at the time) if that was a tower. Looking at a map after the fact would suggest it is too remote for a tower, but it seemed appropriate to inquire here.

BTW, I saw 3 grouse, no psychotic ones though.

Thanks,
Tim