Eagle Cliff 1-12-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campsite

Reaction score
Keith, Julie, Fran and I started up the Greenleaf Trail this morning in weather and conditions more like April than January, with large patches of bare ground in the woods. The trail was hardpacked and rather slippery so 3 members of the troupe wore snowshoes - I tried my Kahtoola microspikes - they're great. Parts of the trail were actually leafy and muddy. In little time, we were already in the col deciding on the best way up. To get a better visual perspective of the terrain we were about to bw, we hiked a few minutes up the trail, beyond our intended take-off point. It was soon obvious that the best bw route was not a straight line to the NW, but rather a roundabout NNW followed by W. Leading the charge, Keith brought us through rather open woods with only occasional thick, scratchy stuff. The snow easily supported hikers on small MSR-type snowshoes. The summit jar was quickly located and its contents examined. Although enclosed in a baggie, the notepad was showing signs of age - a little damp and hard to read due to fading. A new larger jar was hung on the same tree with a new notepad. The contents of the old jar are now also located in the new jar. The old jar was left hanging on the tree.