East Dix and South Dix and another bath

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Was thrilled to get an email from the swimming rabbit, Peter A., on Wednesday morning expressing an interest in joining me for a hike up the South Fork route to East Dix/Grace Peak, South Dix, (and possibly Macomb). I confess feeling intimidated to solo hiking to the trailless peaks.

Met Peter at the 2 car parking lot (thank you Peggy!) and we were en route by 5:30am, with beautiful moonlit skies and an invigorating -10 temperature. Managed fine across the first water crossing (the big river) and soon were crossing the next one (stream by the huge rock which sits on right side). I bring this up because it is shortly past that crossing, that we unknowingly missed a sharp left turn. It is either right past the stream or 8 minutes afterward. We followed tracks along the stream straight ahead, only to find them dead end about 45 minutes later. Peter had been rightfully suspicious, but no harm done- he took a bearing and we treked down to a valley and across, eventually intersecting the good trail, which we met at 8am.

Continuing on the ridge with the river to our left, Peter eventually decided he wanted to trek down closer to the river, so we left the tracks on the ridge. It was shortly after that the Rabbit tried for another plunge but at least this time, he only broke through with one leg and not up to his waist like the Cliff/Redfield trip. Never heard of Peter Rabbit liking water so much.

We moved on and eventually came to the slide east of the normal route and away we went. I found it utterly nervewracking going up the center of the slide. A 2-4 inch hard crust lay over the deeper snow and huge slabs broke away with our footsteps, as we zig zagged up. It was what I would call a "no fall zone". At the top of the slide, we contended with deep spruce traps everywhere, making the last 400 feet a real contest for the summit.

It was still cold out but the views from the top were simply spectacular in every direction. Always seems you need frigid weather for that. Every direction was clear and beautiful. We left just before noon and had a cakewalk to South Dix, where I realized I had actually made this summit the previous Saturday unknowingly. (I thought I was still on Pough, when I turned back). If anyone finds a pair of Smith Goggles between there and Dix....

Peter was greatly disappointed that I wanted to do Macomb another day but I could not stomach descending the slide in darkness. (Macomb to South Dix was not broken, by the way). Sorry, Peter! We returned to Grace Peak by 2, changed to crampons and what do you know?! The sun was feeling warm and it softened the slide enough to make it pleasurable and not scary at all! We were back to the highway by quarter to six. Great hike, great day, great company...
-Lucky Laura

Reactions: arm
It sounds like you ascended the leftmost of the two slides. Very difficult getting to the ridge from the top of the slide. Here's a pic from Hough.

IMG_1484.jpg

Great job Laura.
The decision to turn back is always difficult, and smart. Now you have a good reason to go back and really enjoy the peak you didn't get the first time.

Neil- great photo. Thanks for sharing. Yes- we went up the slide to the left. My trepidation climbing straight up the center was evidenced by my unusual silence!
And Paul, I went up Macomb yesterday wearing just a t-shirt. I was glad for the opportunity to enjoy a climb in spring like conditions.