East Hale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
This is one of those peaks I've been meaning to climb for more than 20 years, I first heard of it when I got my original 3k list in the early 80's, it's been dropped from the list because of col depth. It's definitely not a popular destination. But I can honestly say that in over 25 years of hiking in all corners of New England, this peak is one of the ten best I have ever been privileged to visit. The views are simply spectacular. So many "different" looks at so many different peaks. First, you can see the entire Presidential Range, the Rosebrook Range, Tom, Field, and Willey, and killer views down into Zealand Notch, with Carrigain, Vose Spur, Lowell, Anderson, Nancy and Whitewall. To the west you have the Twins, Guyot and Zealand. The summit is nearly wide open, and further along heading east there are a series of steep cliffs and a huge talus field at the very east end of the peak. I was accompanied by my long term hiking partner Doug R.. We decided to enjoy the beautiful weather on Saturday and make a long approach via the Zealand Trail, Twinway, and Lend-A-Hand to the summit of Hale, we then bushwacked from the Hale Brook Trail to East Hale. After soaking in the incredible views we decided to descend over the cliffs and down the talus slope. We were very careful picking our way through the cliffs, and every time we thought we were going to be stymied and have to back climb we were able to find a way through. If you enjoy exposure to the steeps, this is the trip for you. This mountain has it ALL, views, no crowds, and dramatic geography! I can't wait to go back! Pics at http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=553858136&key=WSldr

dms said:
After soaking in the incredible views we decided to descend over the cliffs
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have yet to do that deliberately.

dms said:
and down the talus slope. We were very careful picking our way through the cliffs, and every time we thought we were going to be stymied and have to back climb we were able to find a way through.

You survived to post the trip report. Picture #14 should be captioned: "Don't look down!"

Thanks for the post!

When I get done with my 48 list this spring, after a bit of beginner BW's I'd like to try some bushwhack hikes. This sounds like a good goal to work towards with good rewards for your efforts.

Wow - what a hidden gem, indeed! Nice, and thanks for being willing to share!

Just curious - my map's not labeled. Is East Hale the 3490' point?

Jazzbo, East Hale is a staight forward bw, a bit scrappy in places, but basically you just follow the ridge due east. The rewards are well worth the effort. MJ, the elevation is about 3500'.

One question: It would look the the twins are blocked by Hale from view. What about them and what about the Bonds? Any peeks at the Franconia Ridge? (that's peeks, not peaks).

PB, take a look at photo 11, the one I forgot to caption! The view is of Hale, S. Twin, Guyot, and Zeal.

dms said:
make a long approach via the Zealand Trail, Twinway, and Lend-A-Hand to the summit of Hale, we then bushwacked from the Hale Brook Trail to East Hale.
In case you want a longer approach, I bushwhacked it from Zealand trailhead, then up to Hale, Lend-a-Hand to hut, A-Z to first logging road crossing (trailbagging), then out logging road to gate near Zealand trailhead. That was ~25 years ago and now I'm tired just thinking of it!

In your listing of all the peaks visible from E. Hale, you left out poor, underappreciated West Field. There it is in your pic #163. But I understand. I was up there today and there's a reason it's best left ignored. From the looks of E. Hale, I wasted my time on a "list" peak when I could have enjoyed the gem you've showed us here. Thanks for the skinny and the great pics. I gotta get over there.

bigmoose, I figured that if I mentioned West Field, almost no one would have known what I was talking about. But if I hadn't been doing the 3k list, I would never known about peaks like East Hale!;)

My brother "needs" Hale to complete his 48 list. I want to bag it in the winter. I think I'll have to talk him into a bushwhack over to East Hale at the same time! Thanks for the Pics!

Kurt, we did a very quick search for a register, but because the actual high point of the summit is in the woods, and the views are on the lower open portion of the summit, we opted to spend our time hanging out on the ledges and cliffs. But I will definitely being going back real soon, and if there isn't a register to be found, I'll put one up for sure!;)

dms said:
Kurt, we did a very quick search for a register, but because the actual high point of the summit is in the woods, and the views are on the lower open portion of the summit, we opted to spend our time hanging out on the ledges and cliffs. But I will definitely being going back real soon, and if there isn't a register to be found, I'll put one up for sure!;)
Eric and I will take it down and burn it. We don't like registers. If there's one to sign we feel like we found the actual summit and that sucks. Burn, baby burn.

Thanks fer them pictures. We're gonna go there soon! Eric need East Hale for his list!!!!! :eek:

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Eric need East Hale for his list!!!!! :eek:

-Dr. Wu
Hey, sounds like Eric is working on the same list as I am, the list of peaks that aren't on the list anymore! :p The best thing about this list is that so far I can only find about 35 peaks that "qualify", so it's nice and short!:D

Last edited: