East Millinocket Mill closing for 16 weeks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is tough news. I have visited BSP every year for the past 30 years, and have seen the Millinocket area in various economic states. I, like many, go through buy some gas, beer and groceries, usually stay in town the first night before camping in the park. I have always found the people friendly and helpful at local establishments. I had hoped that the snowmobile season this year helped the local economy. I don't claim to have any great answers, but I wish them well. It is a beautiful area, but tourism alone can not sustain the local economy.

Real tough news for the area. I grew up and Bangor and the income of people working in the mills in Millinocket and East Millinocket was very good. The bottom felt out on so many people a while back. Some alternative industries have come in-snowmobiling, white water rafting, bear and moose hunting, expanded hiking trails network-over the years, but the economy is very depressed and houses have been worth little for a long time and the number of good paying jobs is way, way down. The mill like most left in Maine is hanging on like that baby tooth you used to freak mom out with.

The silver lining I hope is out there is the expansion of ecotourism in the region. In my mind this means leaf peeping, maintaining healthy moose and bear hunts, fishing in the Fall; snowmowbilling, xc skiing, dog sledding, ski touring (we need to cut trails like they do on the Gaspesie) in the Winter; canoeing, hiking, boating, fishing, rafting, sight seeing planes, wild life (moose) sight seeing tours, Old Time Maine Lodge relaxation stays in the Spring and Summer.

I also believe the Maine forest is an amazing organic self sustaining resource. I believe we need to greatly improve the engineering of the infrastructure of how we maximize the properties of wood (wood surpasses inorganic materials in significant ways and we are not taking advantage of that).

Somehow the State of Maine needs to focus economics on developing Northern Maine in three ways 1)ecotourism destination for all four seasons, 2)high value natural of our natural resources (trees, coastal wind) 3)high value manufacturing of our wood products. I think number 1 is the cheapest to accomplish by the collective will of the people and legislation. Number 2 is dependent on number 3 and number 3 requires inspired investment by someone-the national government, the State of Maine or wealthy investors.

I think it could have a significant impact on hikers. I use the Hanafords, gas stations, restaurants, hotels in the area and visit at least once a year. If the area becomes further depressed some of these resources will disappear and I will be sadder for it.