Easter on South Moat (4/4/10)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitten

Reaction score
Time started: 8:30am
Number of people seen: 5

Started out with a few clouds in the sky and temps already in the 50's - definitely did not feel like the beginning of April! This was my third trip up this mountain (Mike's fourth) - and after not hiking for several months I wasn't sure if I would make it all the way to the top.

The trail at the very beginning was wet...very wet. Thankfully not long after you start - the trail makes a sharp right hand turn and you start heading up hill - away from the soggy conditions. The rest of the trail up to the ledges was dry for the most part - only a few random damp spots.

The ledges were wet - and very slippery in places. Since I'm extra clumsy- this took me more time to get through safely.

The trail is still hard to follow in this area (last year we took a wrong turn up on the ledges) and we also noticed the blazes really need some fresh paint! The temps were starting to really climb - according to the thermometer it was almost 70 - but being out on the exposed rock the temps felt a lot higher! Definitely did not feel like April - more like late May!

As we started to get close to the top - I was really feeling exhausted...and the fact that I hadn't been out in months was definitely catching up with me! Near the top we did find a few patches of snow - which were nice for cooling down with. Some of the snow was pretty solid but some of it was so soft you couldnt help but sink. Most were small enough for you to get around - and I'm sure after a few more days like today, all of it will gone!

We reached the top and had the breathtaking view all to ourselves! Temp at the top was between 70 - 75 - with a slight breeze it was a perfect day!

The traffic was light because of the holiday and I was starting to think we wouldn't see anyone at all - but once we started down we finally saw a couple and then after that a group of three other hikers. We started down around 11:30 and I was moving pretty slow down the ledges because they were still very wet and by then I was feeling pretty wiped. But I made it to the top - despite the hiatus from hiking and can't wait to get out there again soon!

A wonderful Easter with Mike - and a phenomenal hike as always! :D

Thanks to you and a few others who helped me get over my hikeless weekend with their stories and photos. The ledges on South Moat can be wicked slick. I always watch out for anything red on the rocks. I especially like the lower section of the trail that was recently rerouted but dislike the scree section above it, as for me the many small stones on a steep slope are ankle twisters. Last time we were there we explored the ridge off to the right about the scree section. There are nice views and a narrow herd path to follow. Near where it comes out, Wood Lily can be found in bloom in June/July. It's such a nice summit, and the next section of trail along the ridge is nice, too. Quite a telephoto on your camera...I didn't know George was so close by.