Easy/Moderate Ossipee Hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
Hi all:
I am interested in doing a hike in the Ossipees this W/E. I did a general search, but would like ideas on a relatively mellowhike, ice- free, no steep scrambles to somewhere with a view. Length is not a big deal, but would prefer not too challenging, as I just had my rotator cuff reattached 2 weeks ago and cannot use a hiking pole with my left arm.
Does this exist? If so, any ideas would be most appreciated.
Sandy

Take a look at the Bean Mountain Road trailhead directions that I posted in a previous thread. The logging roads leading westward from this trailhead have flat to gentle to moderate grades and can be done entirely without poles. If you continue far enough west and up, you'll have views back to the east.

The referenced map is by Trail Bandit, available via rocket21's "Trail Bandit Ossipee Mountains Map" link.

Mount Roberts would probably be OK, although there might still be a little ice and snow in hollows around the summit. Bayle Mtn. may be a better bet - recent posts by rocket21 tell us that it is snow free. It's 700 feet lower than Roberts but the views may be even better.

You might also consider a combining a couple of very short hikes with views, e.g.:

1. Hill 1,223, which starts from across a pullover near the beginning of Ossipee Park Road. The last bit of the trail climbs rather steeply up a wooded slope, but its southern exposure should mean that it's dry and I doubt you would need your poles.

2. The Ledges Trail to Oak Hill, with very nice views over Lake W. to the Belknaps, off Sentinel Lodge Road.

These are all clearly marked on Trail Bandit's Map, linked by sardog1.

My recommendations (some already made here) in order of challenge and length (and reverse order of scenery):

Oak Hill Ledges - nearly flat, very short, nice lake views, snow/ice free.

Bald Knob via Shannon Brook Trail to Bald Knob Cutoff to Bald Knob Trail - majority of it is on gradual carriage roads, complete hike is snow/ice free, no steep sections. About 4 miles round trip.

Mt. Roberts via Mt. Roberts Trail - a little over 5 miles round trip from the hiker parking lot near the bottling plant. Generally pretty gradual, though there are three short, mildly steep sections. The last portion (above the ledges) may still have some snow.

My recommendations (some already made here) in order of challenge and length (and reverse order of scenery):

Oak Hill Ledges - nearly flat, very short, nice lake views, snow/ice free.

Bald Knob via Shannon Brook Trail to Bald Knob Cutoff to Bald Knob Trail - majority of it is on gradual carriage roads, complete hike is snow/ice free, no steep sections. About 4 miles round trip.

Mt. Roberts via Mt. Roberts Trail - a little over 5 miles round trip from the hiker parking lot near the bottling plant. Generally pretty gradual, though there are three short, mildly steep sections. The last portion (above the ledges) may still have some snow.

what he said..

that being said..Roberts excellent..challanging enough..plenty of viewpoints and excellent topography...enjoy

Another vote for Mt. Roberts. In the few places where it is at all steep it has pedestrian footing. Any snow will be in the upper woods where it is not steep. Its nice views are sustained, starting early in the hike.
Not sure I agree on Bayle, which has some steep side-hilling and a slippery slab section that might not be shoulder friendly.