Ecuador

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corsee

Reaction score
Heading to Ecuador on the 1st of Feb. to climb Imbabura, North Illiniza, Cotopaxi, and Chimborazo, ranging in hight 4630m to 6310m. I am looking to talk to anyone who has done this. I have had no problems with altitude in the past but 20,000 feet will be new to me. We have a couple of nights in huts and at one or two in tents on Cotopaxi. Am wondering which sleeping bag to bring,
20 degree or -20 degree bag? Any words of wisdom from anyone who's been there is welcome.

Thanks
D

Hey Corsee,
I was there over new years 05-06. Climbed Illiniza Norte, Cayambe, attempted Cotopaxi, and got an hour away from Chimbo - both retreats were because of members of the team having problems with the altitude, although on our Cotopaxi summit day most teams that went up turned back due to avalanche risk up high from recent snowfall.

It really depends on the person as to how they'll do with the altitude. I fortunately had no problems during the whole trip. One guy was vomiting when we got to the hut between the Illinizas at 15,000ft. The next day he was stumbling like drunk up to Illiniza norte, so he headed back to the hut for the day. After that he started taking diamox and climbed like a champ at the next peaks of Cayambe (18K) and Cotopaxi (got to the 18Ks).

Another guy that was fine at 15K, 16K, and 18K (Cayambe), then had problems going up Cotopaxi and then later also at Chimbo at around 18K... so it really depends. Taking diamox did really seem to help that one guy. One of the other groups we met were on a diamox diet from day one and were encouraged by their "guide" to take them as much as needed.

As for sleeping bags... the huts are warm... very warm with plenty of body heat from everyone around. We stayed at the hut between the Illinizas (don't sleep above the kitchen-fumes!), the hut at the base of Cotopaxi (15K?), and two huts at Chimborazo, one at around 15K, and another in the 16Ks. I had my 15 degree bag and never felt a chill.
The weather in Ecuador is pretty mild and I made it to the top of Cayambe with only a baselayer and a shell (although keep in mind I'm a warm hiker, but it's still at 18,996ft). I would think that even in tents you would be fine with a 20 degree bag. But hey, if you sleep cold then take the colder one.

It's a gorgeous country and the mountains are awesome!

-Doug

Last edited:
I was part of a similar expedition the last several weeks of November 1998, and as Doug mentioned, it was quite comfortable in the huts. You should be just fine with your 20 degree bag. If it does get colder than you like, there is always the option of wearing some of your insulation layers in your bag. On the otherhand, if you are too warm in the -20 bag you can always unzip and vent the excess heat.

Although I had Diamox with me I didn't use it. Other than a headache the first night at 15,000 feet I was fine. It wouldn't hurt to take some with you just in case.

Be sure to take advantage of the rest days and rest! I was exhausted after my mini-epic on Cotopaxi but instead of resting the first day on Chiborazo I instead spent the day exploring and climbing around on my own. I got some great photos but it also left me with no energy for the actual summit attempt.

I've got a rough trip report on my site if you're interested.
http://www.headbaby.com/gringo.htm

Have a great trip! Remember, no matter what happens, it'll be a great adventure!

- john

I did Cayambe, Cotopaxi, and Chimborazo in 1995. Very tough to say how altitude will affect anyone. I was lucky and had no problems at all, and no one in our party had any serious issues. Acclimatization is key. I'd take Diamox with you (try to get the time release version if at all possible) just in case.
The -20° bag is probably overkill. The beauty of Ecuador is the mild temps, even at altitude.