Ed’s Excellent Edventure, 23 summits in 6 days!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
Last summer after visiting Zealand and Galehead huts to bag the surrounding peaks I thought it would make a great trip to go hut to hut and bag as many 4Ks as I could in a week. After some planning I decided to hike from Lincoln Woods to Appalachia averaging 4 peaks and 12 to 13 miles a day. Staying at the huts meant I need not carry a tent, sleeping bag, or food for my 6 day stroll in the mountains. By May this year I still had not booked the huts and checking the availability left me with the 2nd week in August to take the trip. I had originally hoped to do it in July but it seems my procrastination at booking huts turned out to be good weather wise.

I got busy packing my backpack the week before the trip. On the Sunday morning, my wife Kim dropped me at Lincoln Woods with my very heavy pack and my shiny new Limmers which I had been breaking in since the spring.

Day 1: LincolnWoods to Osseo Trail to Franconia Ridge Trail to Mt Fume, Mt Liberty, Mt Lincoln, Mt Lafayette, to Greenleaf Trail to Greenleaf Hut, 11.6 miles, 5300 vertical.

The sun was shining and I was heading to be above 3000’ for most of a week. I’m at my happiest above 3000’ so what could be better. Lincoln Woods came and went by quickly as I marched to the Osseo trailhead. I had never been up the Osseo Trail to Mt Flume so I was looking forward to the climb. I also considered the Flume Slide but though with a full pack this might be a better choice. The staircase up the trail is very cool.

It wasn’t long before I was staring at my first peak of the week, Mt Flume. The high clouds that morning made for some great views of the peaks down the Franconia Ridge.

Soon after Flume I was on Mt Liberty and heading over to Little Haystack where I stopped for a bite to eat. The weather had held all morning by shortly after lunch the clouds started to roll in. By the time I reached Mt Lincoln it had become overcast so I pushed on to My Lafayette. From the trail I could not see my first stop, Greenleaf Hut.

By Mt Lafayette the clouds had engulfed the summit so I took a quick photo and headed down to the hut for a meal and a good nights sleep.

Last edited:
Day 2: Greenleaf Hut/Trail to Mt Lafayette to Garfield Ridge Trail to Mt Garfield to Galehead Hut to Twinway to South Twin to North Twin Spur to North Twin and back to Twinway to Galehead Hut to Frost Trail to Galehead and back, 12.9 miles, 4950 vertical.

The next morning Mt Lafayette was still in the clouds as I headed back up to head down the Garfield Ridge. Mt Garfield was socked in when I arrived. There was a hiker still curled up in a sleeping bag just inside the walls of the old summit tower foundation. It was certainly out of the wind in there. Next stop was the Galehead Hut where I planned to drop my pack, grab a water bottle and South Twin so I could bag South & North Twin today. The hike up South Twin was as steep as ever but I had a new burst of energy from dropping my heavy pack. Still overcast today but not raining at least. The hike over to North Twin was a pleasant walk in the woods.

Then back to South Twin and down to the hut. One more peak to bag today so I headed up Galehead Mountain for a nice view of the hut from the viewpoint, and a viewless summit. Back at the hut I sat down for a nice dinner and a nice sunset shot of Mt Garfield.

Day 3: Galehead Hut/Twinway to South Twin to Bondcliff Trail to West Bond Spur to West Bond and back to Mt Bond to Bondcliff to Mt Bond to Twinway to Mt Zealand to Zealand Falls Hut, 13.0 miles, 3550 vertical.

The problem with doing the Bonds from Galehead Hut is I had to climb South Twin again. I left before breakfast to get an early start as I had a stretch goal if I made it to Zealand Hut before 3:00 I could head over and bag Mt Hale. There was almost no wind today and as I hit the Bondcliff Trail the black flies found me. Up until now I had only had one mosquito bite and that was in the Greenleaf hut! There were persistent and even picking up the pace did not deter them. I marched on to West Bond and then over to Mt Bond. The sky was partly cloudy so not a bad day to visit the Bonds.

Bondcliff is certainly one of my favorite places and I had the summit to myself.

I headed back to Mt Bond to stop for a quick lunch break. After lunch it was on to Zealand. As I hiked over Guyot the sky grew very dark and a storm was brewing. Just after entering the woods a long rolling thunder when over head. I stopped and put on my rain gear just in time as the a few minutes later the skies opened up and it poured. The once trail was now a stream. The rocks were very slippery and I had to slow my pace to a crawl to prevent falling. By the time I hit Zealand the rain had stopped and the sun poked its head out a bit. The trail was still flowing and the mud holes very muddy. I continued at a slow pace on to Zeacliff where I was rewarded with some great views.

I was now behind schedule and it looks like I was going to have to skip Mt Hale on this trip. I arrived at the Zealand Hut around 4:30 and settled in. During dinner tonight everyone was rewarded with the largest and brightest rainbow I’d ever seen. The picture I took doesn’t really do it justice. Everyone in the hut stopped eating and went outside to enjoy it.

Day 4: Zealand Falls Hut to A-Z Trail to Mt Tom Spur to Mt Tom and back to Willey Range Trail to Mt Field to Mt Willey to Mt Field to Avalon Trail to Crawford Depot to Crawford Path to Mizpah Cutoff to Mizpah Springs Hut, 13.4 miles, 4850 vertical.

Today was to be another long day with lots of miles and vertical as I made my way over the Mizpah Spring Hut. It had rained again last night and the A-Z Trail is overgrown which meant I would be getting wet from the brush today. The Zealand Ponds were like a mirror this morning.

The first 1/3 of the trail is overgrown brush before it finally clears into some open woods for a bit before being overgrown again with spruce. The spruce was still holding lots of water for the rain. I finally arrived at the Mt Tom Spur as was looking forward to the better trail conditions so I could dry out. I dropped my pack and grabbed a water bottle to bag Mt Tom before heading up the Willey Range Trail. No Gray Jays today were there to great me on Mt Tom or Mt Field. I dropped my pack on Mt Field and headed over to bag Mt Willey. Back on Mt Field I met a father and son hiking with there 3 legged dog! They had come up the Avalon Trail. I was impressed. Not much for views today on any of the 3 peaks as it was overcast.

I headed back down the Avalon Trail to meet Kim at Crawford Depot where I was going to dump some gear and swap some cloths for fresh ones for my final two days. From Crawford Depot I head up Crawford Path to the Mizpah Cutoff and then to the Hut for the evening.

Day 5: Mizpah Springs Hut/Crawford Path to Mt Jackson and back to Mt Pierce to Crawford Path to Eisenhower Loop to Mt Eisenhower to Crawford Path to Monroe Loop to Mt Monroe to Lake of the Clouds Hut, 8.3 miles, 2900 vertical.

The plan today was to leave my pack at the hut and head over to Mt Jackson after breakfast. It was partly cloudy but I was hopeful it might blow over and offer up some views today. I made quick work of Jackson. The boardwalk across the mud flats was in much better condition than when I did the Presidential Traverse with Tim, Larry and LRiz back in July.

On Mt Pierce the summits were in and out of the clouds. The Mt Washington Hotel really stood out with the sun reflecting off its white paint.

Not long before I was on Mt Eisenhower and heading over to Mt Monroe. On the way to Monroe the sky started getting dark and soon after the rain started.

From Mt Monroe the Lake of the Clouds was living up to its name.

The views from the Lake of the Clouds Hut were amazing. After dinner it cleared up for a short time letting Mt Washington poke its head out.

Today was an easy day and I enjoyed the break just hanging out at the hut enjoying the ever changing scenery.

Day 6: Lake of the Clouds Hut/Crawford Path to Mt Washington to Gulfside Trail to Jefferson Loop to Mt Jefferson to Gulfside Trail to Israel Ridge/Lowe’s Path to Mt Adams to Airline Trail to Madison Hut to Osgood Trail to Mt Madison and back to Valley Way to Appalachia, 12.3 miles, 3200 vertical.

The forecast for today was the pick of the week and I was heading up to enjoy it in the Northern Presidentials! I got up early to enjoy the sun coming up behind Mt Washington which was in the clear.

As I left the hut to head up Mt Washington the views were incredible.

I think every time I’ve been on Washington, it’s been cloudy but not today! I arrived on Mt Washington to still blue skies and no wind to speak of. After shooting lots of pictures it was time to more on to Jefferson.

After leaving Washington the clouds started to roll in from the valley. Mt Clay was in the clouds as I reached the loop so I stayed on the Gulfside Trail over to Jefferson. Mt Jefferson was a bit in the clouds but by the time I reached Mt Adams you could not have asked to a better day.

One summit left as I headed over to Mt Madison. I dropped my bag at the hut for my final climb before heading down Valley Way to meet Kim who arrived just before 5:00 to pick me up.

What an incredible week. We headed back to our Camp for some grilled steaks and cold beer!

The rest or the pictures… http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/574193788wKoHuK?vhost=outdoors

OMG Ed! What an excellent adventure, indeed!!! Wowee!!!

That rainbow is AWESOME!

I hope that I can do a hut to hut trek someday!

Love your pictures -- what a great year (alpine plant-wise) to amble from hut to hut slackpacking and taking pictures!

:):):)

Last edited:
Amazing photos and trip report, Ed! Sorry to have missed you when you left Lincoln Woods.

Niiccee! That is an amazing trip report with beautiful pictures! I have never seen a rainbow like that one! Gorgeous! Looks like you had a really nice clear day for Washington most definately.

hut to hut

Great report Ed. It seems like a long time since we met at the LW parking lot the mourning you started this great journy.

What an awesome trip and nice weather too...now I want to do that too:D

I don't usually post congratulations about photos, but those are fabulous. I love the different angles and perspectives, such as how well the ladder came out and the train tracks. Wow! I try and fail. Got to practice, practice, get good tips.

Superb photos, with apparently great weather and very little haze (?); many thanks!

I made a similar trip a few years ago with my brother, who was recovering from back surgery, and we really appreciated not having to carry camping gear, like Mats and MEB. :)

Some of us who post here worked in the huts, but rarely does anyone who posts here stay in the huts. So, what were your overall impressions of the huts, food, bunks, ambience, croo, etc.? Our OH Association bestows a "latchstring" award to the "best" croo each year; did any of the six hut croos that you visited stand out?

Amazing photos and trip report, Ed! Sorry to have missed you when you left Lincoln Woods.

Great report Ed. It seems like a long time since we met at the LW parking lot the mourning you started this great journy.

Thanks guys. I was waving to you from the Franconia Ridge! I took several zoom shots of the Owls Head slide as I walked along the ridge hoping to be able to see you but my camera just could not zoom in enough to show any detail.

Absolutely an outstanding hike, report and pictures. Hats off! How did you feel after 6 consecutive days of hiking?
Little D:)

Thanks! Have ya heard of Christmas Toe? Both of my feet were sore and toes still a bit numb. Googling around I learned this is called Christams Toe 'cause after a long hike your toes can tingle til Christmas. Usually it lasts a week or so.

I finished up the trip a bit tired but feeling great.