Elk Lake Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalksWithBlackflies

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a 2-day loop of Elk Lake this weekend (Pinnacle, Blake, Colvin, Nippletop, and Dixes)... spending the night at Elk or Hunters Pass. Has anyone done this before? Seems that the bushwhack of the eastern drainage of Nippletop would be the bottleneck. Also, just to make things more interesting, I may ascend/descend Nippletop via the slide on its western flanks... what conditions should I expect on the slide (smooth or rocky, slippery, etc)?

I've bushwacked the Pinnacle from the Elk lake-Marcy Trail twice.
A very nice trip.
Also done the Blake Slide, goes to the southern summit of Blake.
Overgrown but nice with unusual views.

The Nippletop slide is a pretty easy climb. Not a Experienced slide climb like some books refer to it as. It has a few small bushes on it, I remember it as being more slab than scree.

Since the weather was spectacular a couple of weeks ago, I did the Great Range rather than this trip. I still plan on doing it mid-late August, though.

Peakbagr - I thought there is a maintained trail to pinnacle from the Marcy-Elk Lake trail? Would you recommend bushwhacking to the Blake slide, or up and over Pinnacle?

Peak_bgr - Any idea what condition the slide is when wet?

I remember it as being a course slab that you climbed. So the footing should be ok. I don't remember it as being very steep either. You should have no problem. We had a thirteen year old with us at the time. I have a photo of it from the top, linked to Nippletop at my site. That might give you a small idea.

Elk Lake loop

Hi Rico,

We hope it is not too late to give this information: We hiked in August last year in one long day the same travel.
We started with Macomb and the usual hike to catch Dix, We had a little trouble in bushed between DIX & Dial because a few blowdowns... at the base of Dix slide go a little bit more left to past in the wright side of this blowdown.

We took 13h41 to make this travel...

The forecast for Saturday seem not perfect, beter for Sunday but wurmer...

If You have a interest to attend in one day please e-mail me.

Have a great time.

Pinpin Junior.:cool:

Bushwhack - To Dial or Nippletop??

A year ago or so I was interested in a circuit hike around Elk Lake, but was uncertain as to the bushwhack from Hunter Pass.

Which direction is the best to bushwhack out of Hunter Pass - towards Dial or Nippletop?

OR

If one were to be doing a loop hike out of the Elk Lake trailhead, would it be more advisable to bushwhack down from the Nippletop-Dial ridge to Hunter Pass?

FYI: I have spent nearly 95-99% of my hiking time in the Northeast mountains on trail.

Redd

Nippletop or Dial

Hi Redd,

We started only one time to go directely in Hunter Pass from Nuppletop it was the Febuary 4 in 1998 before the big blowdown from Floyd...

At this time, in the winter hike, it was very easy...but now I don't know...

May be it is most secure to go by Dial but You will arrive very near of Dial.
What is your goal, what is your plan???

Have a good one.

Pinpin Junior.:)