Elk Lake makes cover of Backpacker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newcomb family

Reaction score
On the cover of the Oct. 2004 issue of Backpacker is a nice picture of Elk Lake. It leads to an article about America's last wild places. Lets enjoy it while it lasts.

I really don't like that mag.. They truely do miss the point--and their education and knowhow of the Adirondacks is so laking.

Elk lake

i could have given them some better pictures to choose from - you can't even see the mountains in the background! I haven't finished reading the mag yet but I'm not even sure they get into anything about Elk Lake I think it may just be a cover picture. I think our secret is still safe for awhile!

I'd probably pickup a copy of Backpacker every once in a while if all the "best" hikes weren't always in Yosemite or someplace else in California.

For now I'll stick to my Explore magazine.... lots of Canadian content for us Canucks.

S.

I bought it just to see what they had to offer---there was nothing in there about the Adirondacks but an ad in the back showing some guy with dreadlocks standing on a high peak. This months issue of mens journal has an article about 50 day trips in the outdoors. For the Adirondacks, they say to go climb at a climbing wall at rock and river. Six million acres of outdoors and they want you to go spend a day indoors.

Wasn't there a feature article about Elk Lake in National Geographic decades ago??

AlpineSummit said:
Ahh, Backpacker magazine planting yet another kiss-of-death by leading hordes to a new spot.
Charming.

I hear ya! three days before we climbed Park Butte near Mt Baker in Wa, Backpacker Magazine featured it in an article called "Ten Best Trails in America" We did not see it until after our hike. I don't recall how many thousands were there, think of Marcy Dam on July 4. After several hikes where we saw no one at all this one was a shock. When we saw the article we knew why.

I enjoy the magazine but I'd rather they did not discuss 10 best etc unless they are talking about parks like Fenway, Bank one or Qwest.