EMS Mountain Light Sleeping Bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevCon223

Reaction score
Brooklyn, New York Avatar: Summit of Marcy
I picked up a Mountain Light 0 Degree bag last week, and in testing it out I am finding that the zipper is constantly snagging. Their zippers are also opposite of all other brands, and being so, I can't mate it up with My MH Conduit SL Bivy. Anyone else have this problem? It is a good bag otherwise, nice price and all.

left or right handed bag

I'm not sure what you mean by opposite? Is it a left handed or right handed bag?

If you like the bag, a quick & cheap fix in the short run is to just tape a narrow piece of duct tape along the zipper. Snce it is a zero bag, I am gonna take a stab and say it is part of the draft tube that keeps getting caught.

The long term fix is to take it to a tailor and have a piece of tape (zipper tape) sewn to the material to stiffen it so it cannot get caught in the zipper.

When I got a new MH bag this year (left handed) I took out an older EMS Bag (right handed) . Out of curiosity I tried to see if the two would zip together but it was quickly apparent the zippers were of two different styles so they could not be joined together.
I havent tried it with other brands as yet.
I believe a left or right sided sleeping bag is the side the zipper is on as you are laying in it, not as you are facing it.)

The MH bag's zipper seems to snag the draft tube more often up near the shoulder area, though with use it seems to be behaving itself more than the 1st couple of times.. but time will tell with that.

With a couple of jackets with zip in liners... I have had good luck zipping a North Face shell together with an EMS fleece. Of course each has to be of the same size..not the length but the tooth spaceing..I think each was a # 10 zipper.

kmac said:
I'm not sure what you mean by opposite? Is it a left handed or right handed bag?
Not the zipper side (left or right side of bag), but the actual zipper. It cannot mate with other brand bags or the MH Conduit SL Bivy. The male / female parts are on different sides of the zipper.

Take it back

I've had no problems with same exact bag. However, what I will tell you is to take the bag back to EMS and either get another one or get something different. Forget all the different repair stuff. You shouldn't have to do that. They should do it with no problem. They claim to have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I've had very good luck returning things to them before. Once, I took a pair of full leather hiking boots back after using them for a year and they let me pick another pair off the shelf no charge (Asolo's).

Homer said:
I've had no problems with same exact bag. However, what I will tell you is to take the bag back to EMS and either get another one or get something different. Forget all the different repair stuff. You shouldn't have to do that. They should do it with no problem. They claim to have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I've had very good luck returning things to them before. Once, I took a pair of full leather hiking boots back after using them for a year and they let me pick another pair off the shelf no charge (Asolo's).
Yeah, I will return it today. I will pick up a Mountain Hardware bag that works with the Conduit SL Bivy.