Ermine Brook Slide conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
A friend has suggested we climb the Ermine Brook Slide this weekend and bushwhack to Santanoni's summit. I am reluctant as I've read the bushwhack from the top of the slide to the summit is horrific. He counters that with the snowpack we'll be above the trees. Who is right? Has anyone done this trip recently? Any input welcome.

I'm also wondering what you think conditions on the slide would be like now. I did the Trap Dike and Colden slides a week ago and the snow was perfect for crampons. Haven't done Ermine slide in winter. Can we expect similar conditions? Anybody ever ski it? Am I right in thinking the brook will be open?

Phil

I can't speak for that exact location but I was in Blue Mountain Lake this past weekend and there was about 3 feet of hard, supportive snow on the ground. In fact we didn't even need snow shoes, even while carrying almost 50 lb packs for a weekend trip.

I would think you would be ok but conditions can change fast. This past weekend was pretty cold and the snow was hard. If it warms up the snow could get soft and become unsupportive. Guess it's a roll of the dice....as it usually is this time of year.

Marc

The snow pack up high is at least six feet so that should help with the bushwack above the slide. Will the snow be supportive though?
As far as the brooks, two weeks ago on MacNaughton, the Hudson was flowing freely and one small section of trail was flowing. The climb up the drainage was snow covered but flowing underneath. Last week, on Colden, Marcy Brook was open. The snow was real firm because it was cold at night all week. Temps this week don't look as good and I think I'm staying on packed trails.
It may be too late in the season for your hike.

I agree you might miss it if you wait to the weekend, but the middle of this week looks good.

Heavens, would I love to join that trip.