Erving or Wendell State Forest in MA?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hey all- looking for southern NE snow this weekend to bring the inlaws snowshoeing. They are in Glens Falls NY, so we want to meet someplace in between. There is Southern VT, but looks like there is good snow near Northfield/Erving, MA (closer to us). Never been there in the winter and not much in the summer. ANy info? Thanks.
Weatherman

I have not been to either in the winter so cannot say much , however Northfield Mountain (rt. 10 between Millers Falls and Northfield, MA) has x/c ski trails and snowshoeing trails.

I can't speak for those two areas (haven't been to either yet) but the snowpack in the general area is pretty decent. We lost a little with last night's rain, but you should still find white everywhere.

Four other nice places in the area are the Bearsden Conservation area in Athol, the Harvard Forest in Petersham, the Quabbin Resevoir (no dogs allowed), and the Tully Lake area (including the Tully Trail) in Royalston.

If you do go to Erving SF, I know there are trails open to snowmobiles, so be sure to grab a map to see which ones have traffic and keep your head up.

Good luck!
Smitty

Wendell S.F. web link

If you haven't already done so here is a link to the DCR webpage on Wendell S.F. Includes a viewable and downloadable map. Wendell State Forest

I used to teach in the area and brought my students on snowshoe/ski trips in the forest. It is a worthwhile exercise. The Metacomet/Monadnock trail traverses the state forest, FWIW.

Thanks all! It did look a bit from maps etc that the state forests might be a bit more popular with the motorized variety of sled. Loved the Tully Trail in summer- and it looked like a local bullseye for snow right now- can't likely convince them to come that far east, we were originally planning for the Berks but not much snow there- but good to keep in mind for just us. Mt Grace sounds good, too. Maybe for Monday. We do still need more snow.

Weatherman

Northfield Mt is the one spot you'll be sure to avoid snowmobiles. Their trails are groomed for snowshoeing and xc skiing. You can rent the gear for either there.

Wendell SF is very friendly for both xc skiing and snowshoeing as well. You will see snowmobiles, but the drivers behave very considerately there. If you're on trails rather than the park roads you should be able to avoid the machines.

I almost always see snowmobiles at Mt Grace as well - and they are not as polite as those in Wendell. Can't speak for Erving, haven't been in years.

There's a few other places along the route 2 corridor west of Greenfield that might be good. I'm sure you can use the Wendell DCR link to navigate to the other areas. I'm thinking Florida, Mohawk Trail State Park, The Mahican-Mohawk trail south from route 2 - and there's always Greylock if you were headed as far as the Berkshires anyway.

If you're willing to drive a little bit (maybe 10-15 minutes west of 91), I highly recommend the High Ledges and Massaemett Mountain area.

Massaemett Mountain - FranklinSites.com Hiking Guide

There are a few approaches...the two I've done are:

- Patton Hill Road, gradual (closed to non-foot traffic) road walk to High Ledges (excellent view to the west, stretching to Mt. Greylock), then taking the fairly gradual spur trail (snowmobiles permitted) to Massaemett Mountain (panoramic views)

- Route 2, moderately steep ascent (trail usually broken out within a day or so of snow) up to Massaemett Mountain, then optional gradual downhill hike to High Ledges.

Massaemett Mountain is unique because it has a rock fire tower. Though the cabin isn't open to the public, there are (non-glass) windows at the top of the rock spiral staircase. Mt. Greylock, Mt. Snow, Mt. Monadnock, and the Mt. Holyoke Range are all easily seen