"Escape the Escarpment" TBTS fundraising event '05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Hiya folks, just starting a feeler out there to see who is interested in doing another hiking dayhike in the catskills next year, probably the same time frame, (middle may to late may but NOT memorial day weekend). I'm thinking of doing the Escarpment Trail in a day which is another fabulous hike with different views than the Devil's Path. North South Lake campsite which is practically right on site would be the obvious choice of camping unless we try to go private and they also open the first weekend in May.

I will probably send an email out to those that did the Devil's Path last year but feel free to pass this event on to anybody interested.

This will be a dayhike to benefit The Brain Tumor Society

Based out of Watertown, MA, patient and charity mission can be found at the website above.

Our inaugeral event, Dare to Dayhike the Devil's Path went down very well, raising in excess of $2000, all of it going to TBTS. The event typically invovles meeting sometime friday night, camping out or staying in a hotel, whatever you prefer, and then hiking on a saturday. A huge dinner afterwards and a breakfast the next morning with some small informal gatherings on the sunday.

If you're interested to either hike the event or volunteer, feel free to email or PM me. No date is set yet, one of the next steps would be to figure out when the majority of us are free.

If you're interested in the Escarpment trail itself, check out the blue marked trail here:

Part 1
Part 2

Jay

". . . just make sure that my favorites, WR1 and WR2 are attending "

Seema, I'm so glad to see that you've 'healed'(has the 'tick' gone away also?).

Jay, for me it's all date dependant, as you might guess, if I can't make the date, I'll do what I can to support it like last year.
Tom

After a very injury pleagued summer and fall of hiking, I am looking foward to a fresh start next year. This hike sounds like a perfect way to do it. Besides, what's life without goals. Jay, you are a man amongst men for leading this up again this year. I know there is one weekend I am unavailable, I will let you know the date once I find out. Anyway we can arrange for that fantastic light show we had the second night last May?

Steve :D

Jay, keep me up to date on this hike. Now that I've "discovered" the Catskills I am looking forward to more hiking in this region.

Carol, sure will, I am compiling a mailing list as people reply to me or to this thread so after I get somewhat an idea of the folks that are interested, I'll post info of it offline and online. I know the last thread for the Devil's Path got kind of lengthy so some of the info gets lost in the scatter.

I think with more turnout and perhaps being a little easier hike, we could shoot for $3k this year...

Jay

Jay, I got your email message and am definitely interested again this year. Keep us posted and thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Jay: Please count me in. It's a great cause, and it sounds like it'd make a great introduction to the Catskills.

Jay I missed the first one but would love to Escape the Escarpment
Great hike thats two in a row for you, good job.
We have some time but I think the NS lake campground fills up with reservations pretty early dam that Reserve America.
Although May should be safe kids still in school
I am going to guess and say you will have a better turn out this year.

Maybe snowshoe can wear leg irons or something to go with this years theme?
Al

Jay:

Tough to say for sure right now, but I plan on joining again. Great time last year and happy to be a part of it.

SherpaKroto said:
With me also, it's date dependent.

What?? I didn't know you needed a date to join in on this hike!
Don't worry Sherpa, you have angels!

I'm interested!

As I mentioned at the gathering, I would be up for this one. I did it as a day hike a couple of years ago. It is beautiful. It is date dependent for me as well since I will be unavailable from about May 20th through the end of May. Otherwise I am in.

Great cause, great hike, great company.....please count me in.......
....Jade

Whee, pretty large turnout so far, thanks for those who have replied to me personally and stuff. If you are interested in joining us merry band of hikers, could you also PM or email me your email address?

So far I have about 18 members interested. Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll pick some kind of date, it might be in May, it might be in June.

Jay

I couldn't make the Devil's Path date last year but did it the following (or maybe 2 weeks?) Saturday. What a great hike!!!

I'd love to join this year and even come with my own tales of WR1 and WR2.

I may be up for this trip. We'll have to wait and see. The range that the trail traverses looks quite inviting. I'd love to do it.

I'm definitely interested. There may be a conflict with my daughters soccer schedule, but keep me posted. I've done the 20 miles from Windham to North & South Lakes and then out to the front gate.