"Escape the Escarpment" TBTS fundraising event '05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll go only if Panama Brings the Cabin.

How many on the Catskills list of 3,000 footers are in the area? Maybe a peak bagging blitz is in order? :cool:

Sherpa J :eek:

If its fundraising.. I'm there!

The Mountain Bike Inn charges $65 for one person pernight for a room with a double bed and private bath. The trail is a 5-10 minute drive. I'd rather have a good night's rest the night before a big hike than a shower afterwards. Of course I think I will spoil myself and get a room for two nights...... :p
.......Jade

Sherpa John said:
How many on the Catskills list of 3,000 footers are in the area? Maybe a peak bagging blitz is in order? :cool:

The Escarpment Trail goes over two 3500 footers-Blackhead and Windham High Peak. Much of the trail itself is over 3000', and there are four named 3000 footers-North Mt., Stoppel Point, Acra Point, and Burnt Knob. WHP is the northernmost high peak in the Catskills. So you'll get 6 of the 3Kers just by doing the Escarpment hike.

Also nearby are Black Dome and Thomas Cole Mt., which are 3500 footers which form a range w/ Blackhead.
Kaaterskill High Peak is a bit south from the North/South Lake area, and the high peaks of the Devil's Path and Overlook Mt. are in turn south from there. Everthing else is to the west or sw. If you're around for a day or two, you could probably bag to your heart's content. Most of the trails are an hour or less drive.

Matt

P.S. Panama Jack-We'll have trail sign translators on hand for you "foreigners." The important things to remember are how to ask where the bathroom is and how to order a beer.

There will be no "Deliverance" jokes on my hike!!! :) You NH boys will be safe down here!

Just kidding, there is usually a bunch of MA/NH>ME folks coming, including our esteemed Seema and perhaps Spongebob will make the trip again, so I'm sure the carpooling will be handy. The escarpment trail should be about 3 hours from Boston, at least that's about how long Dr Wu took to get to the general area from Boston.

Forget the 3ks, the peaks, whatever, the Escarpment trail is a nice hike with good views and some good history (Google the Catskill Mountain House, the place that the rich and famous from NYC used to go for some Wilderness action back then. Foundation and clearing is still there. :)

WHP and BH and Acra Point and Burnt Knob will rival any of the better viewpoints in the catskills, in my opinion.

Jay

Campsites

Jay et al do we want to try and reserve campsites in on particuliar loop?

It is still pretty early in the season but if we pick a loop; who ever is camping out Friday and or Saturday can pick the available sites in the chosen loop.
Do you have any idea on # of people who think they will camp?
Possible options are:

Loop 7 which does not get much use but 40 plus sites and is isolated or Loop 2 which probably has a good number of sites 10-14 and is a little isolated.

I know we are off season but if it is a good weather weekend it will fill up as NS Lake is the most popular state CG in the Catskills.
All can chime in
Al

Hey Al, I have no idea about the campsite at N/S lake, I've never been there or camped there. I've been to Schutt Road and that's as far close to I've been to the campgrounds (You can also I think see the campsites from the trail itself at the beginning. I can ask my friend at work who has stayed there though.

So far, I have no clue how many folks plan on camping, nobody has been that responsive. But it would be a good idea since as you said, it'll be more likely to have more folks there than at the Devil's Tombstone because N/S lake has showers unlike the DT. It would be good for me to get a general idea of how many campers and I can reserve a block As soon as I know.. Obviously we could fit a person in here or there as the last minute folks arrive but if I can get a general headcount, that'll be good. Al, if you know the better and quieter campsites, just PM or email me and I'll see what kind of headcount I get. I have a good idea from Warren about a place for dinner in Tannersville and we can always go for breakfast at Selena's Diner, the same place we went last time... That was pretty good.

Jay

I have camped at NS Lake 4-5 times for the past 4 years, this is where I bring the kids.
I will scan the map with loop designations and email you.
the loops away from the lakes are usually least crowded.
Also check in is before 9PM I have gotten in as late as 9:30 PM but I wouldn't push it more than that.
Al

Sherpa John said:
mcorsar said:
you'll get 6 of the 3Kers just by doing the Escarpment hike.
A few considerations if you are bagging 3Ks.

North Mountain has only 60' prominence from Stoppel Point and as a result doesn't qualify for the northeast 3K list (200' prominence requirement). That takes you down to five 3Ks on this hike: Windham High Peak 3524', Burnt Knob 3180', Acra Peak 3100'. Blackhead 3940', and Stoppel Point 3420'. Two caveats:
  • Burnt Knob has two summits, 3080' and 3180'. The Escarpment Trail crosses neither, skirting the south side of both. It is a short and easy bushwhack up to the eastern 3180' summit through fairly open woods.
  • There are two 3940' bumps on the summit of Blackhead. One at the trail junction. The second is on the yellow trail a short distance west off the Escarpment Trail. It would only take a couple of minutes for the side trip to convince yourself you reached the Blackhead summit.
The Escarpment Trail also traverses the 3400' Arizona southeast of Blackhead. That only has a 100' prominence from Blackhead, and not on the 3K list.

There are a total of 98 3K peaks in the Catskills. Two are 4Ks (Slide, Hunter). Three are on the 2K Prominence List (the 2 4Ks plus Black Dome). So you will have plenty to pick from if you stay longer in the Catskills.

Jay, Not sure if I am in yet. I am scheduled to be in the flatlands of Michigan. I'll need to see if that can be rearranged.

Accomodations

jade said:
The Mountain Bike Inn charges $65 for one person pernight for a room with a double bed and private bath. The trail is a 5-10 minute drive. I'd rather have a good night's rest the night before a big hike than a shower afterwards. Of course I think I will spoil myself and get a room for two nights...... :p
.......Jade

The Red Ranch Motel, at the jct of Rtes 32 and 23A is $45 a night - one or two persons and $10 for a third! I have reservations there for Fri and Sat nights and am willing to share the room (and the rate!). I even get a 10% AARP discount! It's about 10 miles from the trailhead.

Fred

Hey Jay- a quick check in.

Does N/S Lake allow one night stays or require two day reservations.

I see no reason I won't be there- now. I liked night 2 in a bed- would prefer that again.

I'll check in again when I know whats what.

Jay - good job on setting this hike up! Do we still get to wear horns on this hike?

Once again, I will volunteer to shuttle hikers and to hump in water and ICE CREAM to the resupply points. Nothing like a Klondike bar in the middle of a hike. :D

The TBTS bike ride is the weekend before, and I will be posting VFTT team info soon. Anyone getting in shape for this hike might as well bike 25 or 50 miles the weekend before to loosen up their legs... ;)

- darren

N/S Lake is a 2 night minimun and also reserved with ReserveAmerica :mad: which means a $9 reservation fee :eek:

However, there are a couple of campsites near palenville (Pine Hill Campsite) that is more expensive but no reservation fee I gather:

http://www.thecatskills.com/pinehollow.htm

I'm going to call to see if they have a flat area that we could set up a "group site". Sort of like Hide-a-Way at the gathering, but hopefully a little less rain and perhaps something more than a port-o-potty! :)

Then those that camp can simply show up and set up home rather than having to deal with check in times, reservation fees, and stuff. And we'll have the option for crashing in a motel the night after the hike or staying in the campsite.

Darren, that's great with the ice cream support. Devil Horns can be made available for this hike, as I have some left over, but it will be harder to explain to other hikers than on the Devil's Path. I could easily say that I had horns on because it was the Devil's Path. The horns on the escarpment trail would be stranger. But I guarantee you that I'll think of something for the escarpment trail. Wait and see!

Eric, long time no write. Talk to Fred (fritz), he is local to me here in NJ and I hike with him all the time when I'm not going far. The hotel he is in is in Palenville and isn't too far from the southern trailhead near Haines Falls.

Jay

I will be there for this hike. Camping on Friday and staying is a bed on Sat sounds nice but I would not be adverse to camping both nights. Of course, my tent will have flush toilets AND a hot shower :p

Jay:

Living in Quincy Mass temporarily before moving to NH and doing nothing but work these days. Really hope to join this, have to start getting in shape real soon, hasn't been that active a winter for me.

I also am not averse to two nights camping, but a bed and private shower felt real good last year so... If I can make it I am going to try and swing it that way..

Hey guys, a little early for me to plan, but so far the date looks good and the back/hip seem to have healed. I'll be camping at one of the hotels both nights again and can be bribed to loan the shower for, oh, let's say, one beer per shower :rolleyes:

Tuco said:
Jay:

Living in Quincy Mass temporarily before moving to NH and doing nothing but work these days. Really hope to join this, have to start getting in shape real soon, hasn't been that active a winter for me.

I also am not averse to two nights camping, but a bed and private shower felt real good last year so... If I can make it I am going to try and swing it that way..

Tuco, I lived in Quincy Mass once, temporarily, and the Blue Hills were fantastic for working out and doing a little hiking. You can get quite a bit of distance and elevation plus there are plenty of trails and weird things to explore. I really missed it when I left -- what a thing to have in your backyard (I lived right across the street from an entrance).

Regards,

Dr. Wu

I sure hope I can make this hike this year. Any idea in which direction it is going to be done? I recommend starting at Rt. 23 and ending at Schutt Rd if people are staying at N. Lake campgrounds. The is a little more elevation gain this way but the logistics would be easier.

The two points that water, ice cream and/or other food could be supplied is at the Catskill mountain house. It is an easy 1/4 mile walk from the parking area and has teriffic views. The other is at the Batavia Kill trail Junction. it is about 1.5 miles from the end of Big Hollow Rd. without too much ascent. The trail jct. is at the base of the steep climb up Black Head.

The mid-point of the escarpment is at Dutchers Notch. I have not hiked this trail, but it looks steep on the map.

Attached is a excel file that can be used to calculate travel time to the points described on the NYNJTC maps. It does not take fatigue into factor. Just change the pace in MPH that you can maintain on level ground with trail conditions. Cell B-2. It calculates from either direction.

Last edited:
Folks, I tried calling Pine Hollow Campground to see if they have a group area we can set up ala gathering style. But they seem to be closed in winter and the number was temp. disconnected. It gave me a new number but I called that and got an answering machine so I left a message, see if I get a call back...

But the campsite is in Palenville, approx 7-10 miles east of the southern trailhead. (and a nice drive on Rt 23A too, I might add)

Jay