Ethan Pond/ Thoreau Falls overnight 5/12-5/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
Spring is here! It’s been raining all week and all most people do is complain about it. You can’t beat the weather, so…sleeping bear and I decided to embrace it and go camping anyways. :eek:

We started out for the Ethan Pond Shelter around 8pm Friday night. Driving through the notch, we saw a huge group of backpackers at the Kedron Flume trailhead. Figuring they were also headed to the shelter, we moved quickly to beat them to it :). The air was heavy with mist and drizzle, but the rain held off for us on this first leg of our journey. As daylight faded, we donned our headlamps and proceeded steadily to the shelter. The forest was quiet and serene. That made hauling heavy backpacks loaded with lots of extra… beer... that much more pleasant. An hour and a half later we found the empty shelter and unloaded our junk.

After settling in, we had some beers and some laughs, came up with a few possible plans for the next day, and hit the sack. This was my first time staying in a shelter and it was rather comfortable. The temperature wasn’t too cold and it was nice listening to the rain but not being soaked by it.

Both of us had trouble getting motivated to move the next morning and it wasn't until 10am that we finally hit the trails. There was a precarious stream crossing where water enters the pond that we’d had some trouble with the night before. Today, the water had risen a significant amount, making the crossing much more difficult. We tossed some fallen limbs over the water and used a branch like a hiking pole to maneuver across. We would not worry so much about dry feet in the next couple of hours.

The Ethan Pond trail was flooded, as was all of the surrounding land and water areas. Rivers pulsed loudly as the ground squished under our feet. Wooden planks covered a large portion of the trail; the ones that were not submerged came in quite handy.

Soon we heard the rumblings of Thoreau Falls. The trail deposits you at the top of the Falls, providing you with zero view. So, we bushwhacked down the steep side over spongy mats of needles and slippery rocks to the base. Tons of water were coursing over the edge of the Falls, sweeping around a curve in the rocks and racing to the ground below. It was one of the most awesome things I’d ever seen. Lindsay and I figured this was one very rare sight, and definitely worth braving some raindrops to go and see. I was instantly glad I hadn’t decided to stay home this weekend. :)

We hiked back up to the trail and decided to turn back to the shelter. Both us were having issues with rain gear and the weather wasn’t getting any better. Besides, we’d had a fantastic day already, there was no need to add any more miles or random destinations.

We splashed back through the rising water, miraculously avoiding major injuries. Footing was very slippery and I did my share of sliding around. At one point I realized I was totally soaked through. My arms and hands were freezing and they’d lost most of their range of motion. Opening a Ziploc bag or unclipping my waist belt became extremely taxing chores because my fingers refused to move. Meanwhile, Lindsay remarked that these are perfect hypothermia conditions. I couldn’t wait to get dry.

Upon returning to camp at 2pm, we changed clothes, jumped in the sleeping bags, heated a couple of water bottles (SO NICE!!) and made burritos. We decided to cut our trip short by a day and hike out. So, I packed up, put my wet pants, boots and gaiters back on, and we walked back to the lot. At least the rain had ceased, and although my feet were getting soaked, the rest of me was dry. Before reaching the lot, we took a side trip to Ripley Falls. Here, the water careens straight down in a perfect line before smashing into the rocks below. Spray from the waterfall filled the air. The raincoat hood went back up and we scrambled to find a photo-taking spot that was clear of the spray.

A few short minutes later we were back at the car, changing into dry clothes again.

I love hiking in the rain!! :D We saw two amazing waterfalls on the trails and two more on Rte. 302. There are few people out in weather like this and the forest has an entirely different character. Anyone can be a fair weather hiker. There is so much to see and explore when the conditions are less-than-perfect. If I limited my outdoor adventures to “good” days, I would miss out on plenty of memorable things. And, it helps to have a brave hiking partner who also likes doing crazy hikes like this!! Thanks Lindsay!

Photos are here.

Cool Trip!

Way to go with the flow!
Don't wash over the top of Thoreau Falls though! :eek: :eek: :eek:
You would hit that big rock partway down, splat.

Sounds wild! I like that weather when its a bit warmer though. Be careful. -Mattl

Most excellent trip report, photos and videos. Those waterfalls were turned up to 11! You two have guts, I still tend to avoid the rain for hiking. Glad you had fun! :D

Good grief! I hope that water level comes down.. I need to cross Thoreau Falls from Shoal Pond Trail this Thursday!

ruckerz said:
Good grief! I hope that water level comes down.. I need to cross Thoreau Falls from Shoal Pond Trail this Thursday!
You can take the bridge on Ethan Pond Tr and bushwack to avoid the crossing. I presume that this is what the OP did.

Doug

ruckerz said:

Nevermind the falls, if the rain keeps up like it's supposed to (NOAA site for Lincoln calls for rain straight through Friday) you might not be crossing anything. Attempting to cross Thoreau Falls yesterday (and I'm sure it's only getting worse) would have been committing suicide. :eek:

All of the larger streams we saw were raging torrents of white water. Even the little guys that crossed the trails were fast and deep, covering most of the rocks normally used to cross on. Where we passed the Shoal Pond trail it was, like all the rest, a stream.

Wow!!! I can practically hear the roar of the water charging down the mountain....you guys rock!...good choice to call it a day (and a night) and get yourself some warm dry clothes on.....
...Jade

Protected pocket

There's a place and I think it's right there behind Jess's right hand where, when the water is this high, you can stand in a chest-high pool that is protected from the current by rocks. It's no bigger around than a trash barrel but what a cool place to stand in deep water watching a river raging a foot away from you.
I first saw Thoreau Falls in this kind of weather and flow. After that, I had to show it to people. Well, there is no comparison between now and what it looks like in summer.
Nevertheless, everyone I've taken there said it was beautiful. It is.

This is when you know you REALLY like to be outside :D Looks like fun, but I can imagine how good dry clothes felt when you got to your cars.

Unfrozencaveman and I hiked Ascutney Saturday in similar conditions and boy did I sleep well that night!

I am surprised at how deep some of those little streams are and the falls are incredible. Thanks for sharing and the pics!

Hanna

Hey, neat idea to heads for water falls after all this rain. I remember about a three foot hole, big enough for a child to hide in right at the top of Thoreau Falls. Watch out! That must be a steep bushwack down the side of those falls. Wow!