Exercise programs...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Religiously........

Much like Dax's I also complete in a few triathlons each year primarily in the summer, so I work out fairly regularly year round, but how much varies, depending on where I'm at and what I'm training for. This time of year, I'm usually (and am now) ramping up to anywhere between 9-12 training hours per week (45% Bike, 35% Run, 20% Swim) and will maintain that through middle of June.

My big race this year is a half-Ironman in early July (I timed it to coincide with the end of BF season :D). After that, I hike pretty much every weekend and most exercise I'll do will be geared around that (but my exercise is not as regimented). This spring, I'll try to fit in a few hikes in when I can, but with the kids in school, it's hard to get up to the mountains as much as I like.

Like someone else said, even when your in good aerobic shape, it will always takes those first few mountains each year to get your hiking legs back.

I go to the gym once or twice a week for a 45 minute strength training routine.

I like to do my cardio outdoors, and generally like to run. Having a race or races to work towards helps my motivation. Right now I am training for my first marathon the end of May. This summer, I'll probably mix up the running with biking.

I'm exploring the possibility of biking to work. The logistics of dealing with helmet hair, clothing, sweat, etc. are not insignificant.

I've got flat feet, and am prone to leg injuries. It seems the more I mix it up (including strength exercises) the better off I am.

Clearly my exercise routine is not as intense as the rest of you folks. I guess that's why I'm usually bringing up the rear when I hike!

Full upper-body weight training with abs (good for the "core") and lunges, squats and calf raises 2 to 3x per week, indoor bike machine during winter or outdoors mtn. or road biking as much as possible during good weather. Strong legs and good wind make hiking that much easier and more enjoyable.

I've always hated running (since XC in high school), and with my work and family schedule I find it very hard to get to the gym. What I do is 2 hours of street funk and hip hop dance every Wednesday. It started when I got tired of sitting around waiting for my daughter to get out of her dance class, but it's as addictive as most other forms of exercise.

Just recently I read an article about how working out to music is good for the aging brain, so I figure it helps me keep the 2 or 3 brain cells I have left, too. It also impresses the hell out of my kids' friends that I recognize some of the songs on the radio!

So when you (other) old folks are out there hiking along to "Valderee Valderah" or the Stones in your heads, that's me coming along humming something by Outkast. Of course, if someone starts up a chorus of "Uncle John's Band," I'll join right in!

workin' out

I hit the stair master at least 45 min. every other day and I take my dog for several 2 mile walks every day. That seem's to work for me.

I agree with Snowshoe on this one.

I hate gyms, for me it's a daily 4 mile fast walk (50 minutes) in any weather every morning for the past 12 years. I'm cooped up all day in an office, early morning is my time and there's nothing like watching the seasons change. In warmer weather I'll bike 2 or 3 days. I do free weights for 15 minutes before to warm up.

Jogging as often and as long as my schedule permits.
Yoga to keep me limber. The yoga has really helped alot as I am prone to all sorts of joint and back problems. I am way more pain (and complaint) free now. I also dance a lot, so I guess that helps as well.

There are 85 steps on the stairs between my office and the computer room. Some days I travel these more often than I'd like but I get a few trips every day. If I'm having a good day I can run up all of them... as long as I don't have to answer the phone for a few minutes afterwards :)

Try to hit the gym at least once a week and alternate between stairmaster and strength training gear like Gravitron and Nautilus.

My favourite form of exercise? Hiking! I get out somewhere most weekends and head up to the Whites as often as I can. Last weekend was a 'no hike' weekend and I've felt a little off all week.

I'm a slow hiker and will always be a slow hiker but I do have endurance. May take me longer to cover the miles but I keep plodding on :)

Bob

SELECT * FROM management WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

Last edited:
This past fall I decided to start taking better care of myself so my wife and I joined a local gym. It's been great (for both of us) ... we do cardio at least five days a week and strength training three (her) or four (me) days a week.
We're not 'morning people' so our workouts are after work, usually starting around 5:30 or 6:00pm.
My next step is to start wearing my daypack and then my backpack while using the treadmill ... I'm already walking at a 12-15% incline most of the time and the addition of the pack(s) should help get me ready for the trails (after they dry out :D ).
We've been lucky to have found a pretty good gym with great people that really help you out. It's been worth every penny that we've paid.
On a side note ... Mad Townie: will you be giving hip-hop and funk dance lessons out on the trails? sounds like great entertainment around the evening campfire!!
:D

kwc, I don't know if I'd call it "entertainment", but it sure is funny! Just ask my daughter or the other kids in her dance company.

To add to the serious part of the discussion, I've always had strong legs and never had a problem in spite of fairly bad feet. Recently I began having some discomfort in one knee, so I guess it's back to the gym for quads and hams, and I might as well work on the rest of me while I'm at it.

To prep for winter hiking, if I've been off the trail for any appreciable time, I like the stairmaster. It's not cool anymore (replaced by those elliptical machines), so it's usually available at our little gym.

I've heard the term "core muscles" before but do not have a clue what muscles they consist of or what exercises would be helpful. Can anyone help me out here. Trying to get ready for the summer khiking season and have been doing mostly abs and all over legs pluus a little upper body with nautalis and alot of cardio. Any more ideas? I do agree the stair master kicks butt for as long as I can hack it. Thanks for any info. Boots :D

Generally, some say core muscles are meant to include the big ones that support weight and transport, e.g. glutes, quads, calves, stomach, upper and lower back. I've seen references to the core muscles being just the trunk area, which has always been my understanding. These can be worked on machines as well as squats, lunges, crunches etc.

Don't forget the little guys, either. Working out using an exercise ball, or a wobble board helps develop those puppies, whch help bring stability to ankles, and the trunk muscles.

One easy exercise that I use for my ankles is to stand on one foot on a plush rug and extend my other leg slightly out or sideways. I close my eyes and just maintaning my balance brings all the muscles, ligaments and tendons in my foot and ankle in play. A few reps of these a day can help strenghthen that injury prone area.

Last edited:
I worked 2 jobs as a Customer Service Clerk, working 10 hours a day, and spent my 2-3 days off a week hiking. So between all of that, I had plenty of exercise, to keep me in shape without doing anything else in-between.

My two cents

Hike on weekends when able.

Mon., Wed., Thurs. weight training at the gym

Tues, Saturday (running)

Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun push ups (120-150)

If my office schedule is too restrictive, then I substitite a gym day for push ups.

Sometimes I get on the treadmill, steep grade, put the pack on and do the indoor hike workout for a while.

Does it help ? Who knows..but its addictive !