Expedition Pack?'s

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonPatrikz

Reaction score
I will be hiking and back packing in the Indian Himalayan mountains this next spring for nearly 6 weeks. One of the requirements through NOLS is to have a 6000ci - 7000ci pack. The packs that I’m looking at are;

Gregory Denali
Marmot Astralplane (use to be Dana design)
Osprey Cressent 110

Does any one have any input on these packs, usage wise or any other pack that I should consider?

Thanks Jason

denali on denali

JasonPatrikz said:
I will be hiking and back packing in the Indian Himalayan mountains this next spring for nearly 6 weeks. One of the requirements through NOLS is to have a 6000ci - 7000ci pack. The packs that I’m looking at are;

Gregory Denali
Marmot Astralplane (use to be Dana design)
Osprey Cressent 110

Does any one have any input on these packs, usage wise or any other pack that I should consider?

Thanks Jason

O.K. Your trip sounds pretty interesting. I think you should give a few more details. :)

I just spent three weeks on Denali with a Gregory Denali and I was very happy with the pack. I bought it new for the trip although I did get a chance to take it out for several winter hikes in the Whites before going to Alaska.

We carried between 50 to maybe 90 lbs and it handled those heavy loads well and was about as comfortable as you could expect with that kind of load :eek: The top of the pack extends really, really high so you can get probably more stuff than you would ever want into the pack. It also has a lot of places to attach stuff to the outside although you will want to add some of your own straps. At one point I was carrying ski poles, crampons, ice ax, snowshoes, 3 pickets, a rope and my sleeping pad on the outside of the pack.

The pack construction and material seemed very tough. The biggest downside of this pack is that it is pretty heavy. I can't see using it for anything but an expedition. Also I was able to try this pack on. REI had it in stock. I was interested in some of the other packs you mentioned but couldn't find them for sale locally.

The NOLS course will be hiking in the Kumaon and Eastern Garhwal region of the Indian Himalaya. We will be traversing nearly 125 miles over the course of 5 weeks from village to village reaching altitudes of 15,000 feet in some of the passes while camping for two weeks at 10,000 feet. Weather will vary from 100 degrees to 20. The average pack weight will be 40-45% of body weight which for me is near 56 pounds.

I too have found it difficult to find the packs locally, I live near concord NH with an EMS near by they don’t have any of the packs I’m looking for.

I cannot give you advice on any specific expedition pack but have you tried IME (Intenational Mountain Expeditions) in No Conway. It is located directly acroos the street from EMS.
I know the owner Rick Wilcox and he has done a lot of expeditions in the Himlaya, including summitting Everest.
I think it would be worth your while to track him down and speak with him. I bet he would be happy to talk with you. He has a wealth of information.
You trip sounds absolutely wonderful and I have heard really good things about NOLS.

Jason all of the packs that you have listed are quality packs. If possible I would try on all of these packs and find what fits well because all three of these companies have different fits. You want to find the one that is most comfortable for you because on a long expedition you will be spending alot of time wearing that pack and a poor fit could be a real bummer. I would also reccomend IME and also Ragged Mountain equipment.

I agree they are all top of the line. I have had an astralplane for 7-8 years and have been very happy with it when I use it - Usually winter or with my 6-year old son and I pack for both of us.

The pack is heavy - 8-9 lbs, but it is absolutely flawless in construction and the heavy duty material shows little wear. I like that I can zip closed the sleeping bag compartment and have a backpack with a smaller capacity if I needed to (It would still be an 8 lb backpack, though) :D