F Ridge and the Psycho Grouse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abster

Reaction score
Despite the forecast, people actually wanted to do the Franconia Ridge with me yesterday. HuiYeng (7summits), Damon and Damon’s friend Ken met me at Lincoln Woods at 7am to spot a car, and then head-up to the Skook trailhead.

With Damon in the lead for the majority of the day, you know we didn’t dawdle… :) On Skook the surrounding green was beautiful and the air was moist and refreshing. On the ridge, I used HuiYeng’s suggestion to imagine the beautiful views of the Bonds and Owl’s Head on one side and Cannon on the other. Up high it got cool enough for gloves and a quick pace. Although we never got rained on there was enough moisture being in the clouds to keep us all damp.

In between Lincoln and Liberty we dropped into the woods, where we were surprised to see a spruce grouse standing in the middle of the trail and not moving away from us. We were initially charmed and curious at how bold this bird was - pictures and maybe even a short video were taken. But then things started to get a little weird…. The bird, who was either guarding a nest or territory (or had just mentally lost it), became really interested in Damon, (his deodorant maybe??). The bird blocked the way down the path and moved to intercept Damon when he tried to move on and started making these creepy little bird noises. Damon, having gotten over the bird’s initial charm, gently used his pole to push the bird into the brush, but it would immediately return to the trail. Damon finally just walked by and the bird took flight and trying to grab him by the pants. :eek: Damon then started talking about grouse for dinner.

Next was HuiYeng’s turn. I told her to just run by the grouse and she did…but instead of standing there it flew-up and tried to peck her in the head. :eek: :eek: Sorry HuiYeng!! I managed to get by unscathed, but turned around and the bird was following us. It started feeling like Jurassic Park…. The grouse must have followed us for close to 1/8th of a mile. Yikes!

We were happy to survive the grouse trauma and moved quickly to hit Liberty and Flume, then down Osseo. At one point, the sun almost looked like it was going to break through. We got back to the Lincoln Woods lot about half an hour later than Damon’s estimated 8 hour trail time.

As usual, a GREAT day! :D Thanks guys!

You too????

Mika and I spooked a fistfull of grouse chicks Sunday monring while hiking in the woods. The momma came at us ripping mad, all puffed out and ready to rumble with the dog, who had no intentions of backing down. Grabbing the dog by the collar (repeated attempts at "no", "heal", and "leave it" went unheard), I beat a retreat backwards for about 150 yards, with the grouse following us at a distance of about 6 feet, huffing, hissing, and sqauking away! I had to bushwhack 100 feet to our left and resume forward progress through the scrub while warding off the grouse with a stick (yep, still following us and mad as hell!) while guiding the dog by the collar, who was still interested in some "Instant Ruffed Grouse" for breakfast. I finally managed to get far enough away from the chicks for the grouse to back off and leave us alone. Made for an interesting end to the hike.

Glad I'm not the only one to stumble on psycho birds! :D
Smitty

Not psycho, just behaving naturally against us human intruders. I had the same experience in the Adirondacks, once in the Sewards and once on the Northville-Placid Trail.

Psycho Grouse

Abster, I also encountered the Spruce Grouse between Liberty & Liberty last week. One of my daughters yelled, " Look at the grouse" as we hiked along. Not only was the grouse not frightened, he was aggressive. We tried to get around him without inadvertently hurting him as he fluttered up in our faces. He actually followed us down the trail for 20 or 30 yards! Later that night at the Garfield campsite, I told this story to a group from North Carolina who were doing the AT in two week increments. They busted out laughing as they recounted a similar experience with Psycho Grouse. I presume he was protecting a nest but I didn't see one. The poor guy probably had a tough couple of days defending his family judging from the number of folks we saw on Franconia Ridge.

Wow - I didn't expect so many stories! They definitely should get some claim for bravery!! I do feel sorry for that poor grouse who was probably traumatized too!

Hanna - glad you got out!
I flushed a grouse on the Bondcliff Trail on Saturday...the scariest one I have encountered (not that it attacked me, but it sure startled me) was on the Franconia Ridge Trail in the col between Liberty and Flume.

Hey Hanna thanks for the trip report, that was a fun trip and looking back, the grouse attack was definately funny. As Damon noted, there probably were a group of them hiding in the woods laughing at us.

It was really nice to meet you, Damon and Ken. Looking forward to hike with you again in 2 weeks.

Here are some of the pictures I took ( including a clip of the grouse pacing around Damon)

Enjoy!

http://s94354335.onlinehome.us/hike/franconia_ridge06/index.htm

Last edited:
I've determined that all grouse are 1)Deaf 2)insane.

Not only do they wait til the absolute last minute before deciding to fly the coop, they do so in such a way that I don't know how they (and us) do not have instant heart attacks. Them for their superhuman physical prowese to get their chicken sized bodys up in the air with dove sized wings and us, for the sheer terror their movements cause us when they try to fly for their lives. I figure they must be deaf cause they generally wait til you're practically stepping on them before they go.

Swans are another story, they are also insane, despite how many folks think how cute and pretty they are. :)

Jay

Nice pictures HuiYeng! (although there should be more of you and much fewer of me...) They really captured the conditions. Thanks. See you soon.

Abster and 7summits,

Nice trip report and great pics! You didn't happen to notice a small suv in the parking lot at Lincoln Woods with a VFTT sticker on the back window when you pulled in did you? We got back to the parking lot about 3 pm after our Bonds hike. Too bad we missed meeting up with you guys. We were imagining the view over to Franconia Ridge from the Bonds on Sunday. Great views of the clouds and a nice weekend to hike with great company. Sounds like you had a great time.

Woody

SUV at Lincoln Woods - was it black? Yeah, I parked close to it and thought it was probably someone from your backpacking group. Sorry we missed you guys....I couldn't find anyone to go have a beer with me after our hike :eek:

Although everyone did have a long drive home and work the next day...except Ken.

Thanks, I love taking pictures. One of my many childhood dream is to become a photojornalist :p Still dreaming it!

Hanna, I'll definitely join you for a drink the night before the Presi Traverse.

Abster said:
SUV at Lincoln Woods - was it black? Yeah, I parked close to it and thought it was probably someone from your backpacking group. Sorry we missed you guys....I couldn't find anyone to go have a beer with me after our hike :eek:

Although everyone did have a long drive home and work the next day...except Ken.

too bad - we had some great music goin after the hike!! from my personal selection :eek: :eek:

Yea the little black suv with the VFTT sticker. Gig was parked next to me. Too bad we missed you. We all went for food and beers after the hike. I'm not sure the waitress knew what to make of us! :p There will be plenty of time and takers for beers,I am sure, after the presi traverse!

Sounds good!

Gig - bring some of your favorite CDs to the CMR, so I can sample some of your crazy-a*% music!!

Hey - that was a fun trip with you, HuiYeng, and Ken. The nightmares of being attacked by a giant grouse are now behind me, a few more trips to the shrink and I should be over it ;) The video clip of the grouse came out good, including a capture of the "growling" noise that had my kids hysterical with laughter when they watched it. Let's repeat that trip when the views are out...