Face Masks - which one?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
During the Mt. Washington hike (Gathering Weekend), we got just past the
Lion's Head and a hiker passed me, mentioning to us that I had white on my nose, a sign of frostbite. I had a neck gaitor on, but hadn't put on goggles yet (mistake). We did not have face masks, and turned back.

I have hiked in the snow, wind and extreme cold (Adirondacks Gathering) before, but I didn't think I needed a good face mask until Washington. There are several out there, but which to get?

is an OR Windstopper Face Mask coupled with a balaclava enough or should
I go for something like an OR Airfoil Balaclava which has a mesh breathing part for your mouth?

Blue,

Joanna and I both use this one. It's much cheaper ($16) than many others and is really comfortable. It has a windproof layer which makes a big difference. I also have a liner-weight balaclava which doesn't get much use anymore. Make sure to get one with a windproof layer.

With this and a pair of goggles, you should be more than okay.

Spencer

Hi Blue,
I'm sorry I didn't talk with you coming down because I had an extra balaclava in my pack. That was a pretty windy and cold spot! I used a lightweight balaclava and windstopper fleece neck gaiter pulled up to my eyes and goggles (which fogged over:() Probably why I didn't recognize you coming down. Sorry again...

Jim

Hi Blue,

A face mask is just one of those things I put in my pack starting in the late fall. The amount of weight and space it takes up is insignificant so it's worth taking along. I have this one -- probably as good as the campmor one, and also available at campmor (for about the same price) so you can compare the two!

Stay warm -- it's going to be about -20F this weekend! :eek:

Regards,

Dr. Wu

My hiking headwear consists of a fleece hat, a thin polypro balaclava that I use most of the time as a mask (both skiing and hiking) and for very, very cold & windy condtions I use this face mask which I have found to be very comfortable and warm. I have also used this mask which is not as nice but still does the trick. I would rather have several pieces (hat, thin balaclava & mask) rather than just a windproof balaclava as I find it more versitile to adjust for conditions. Incidentally, I find that I use the thin balaclava more than any other piece of head gear (except for my trusty ball cap!).

Jim,

I had a very light balaclava in my pack too, and I think I was too eager to
get up top that I didn't put that on along with my goggles, so I had only
my neck gaitor and hat on. If I had stopped and really geared up at Lion's head, I think I would have been ok, but I was trying not to slow down too much for fear of getting chilly.. so I rushed, which was a big mistake.

I want to get a face mask because I think I would want an all-in-one system, rather than a balaclava plus a neck gaitor, etc. etc.

I know, I know.. there's always next time. :eek:

Last edited:
Blue said:
During the Mt. Washington hike (Gathering Weekend), we got just past the Lion's Head and a hiker passed me, mentioning to us that I had white on my nose, a sign of frostbite. I had a neck gaitor on, but hadn't put on goggles yet (mistake). We did not have face masks, and turned back.

Did you end up getting frostbite :confused: ?

-Wu

I use two different balas for downhill skiing in cold conditions (maybe similar to conditions atop rockpile). First is silk bala that's very light, tight and just has face opening. Nice thing about it is can be rolled up like stocking cap and/or worn underneath either wool cap or full on bala. As for extreme conditions (30 mph + downhill in sub zero temps = mega wind chill) i've never liked the neopreme stuff (think sweat city), so instead for the last several years i've been using MH Windstopper Bala, somewhat expensive but IMO well worth the $35. It covers nose and to lesser extent mouth. However, it fits loosely so if it's really cold i wear the little silk bala and maybe even a fleece stocking cap as well underneath. I like the looseness of the outer bala and this setup is most breathable and comfortable i've found. Hope this is helpful info. :D

Last edited:
Blue said:
Nope, my nose if fine. A good wake up call, though!

This info is all very helpful.
Good, because I just gave away my last extra and I didn't have any more spare noses. :p

-Wu

I use a neopreme face mask. It has a wide velcro attachment stripe.
It is important to ensure that the goggles and mask meet together without any exposed skin, One previous facemask left a small triangle of exposed skin on the side burn area that got "burned" and scabbed over after exposure. It is important not to put the goggles over the facemask as you will get vapor inside the goggles.

I also cut a larger (3/8") hole in the mouth area because I tend to need more air. It also allows sipping water.

Thought for the day: Any day you can climb washington in winter without sucking neopreme is a good one!

my experience with three OR balas

Blue:

I’m in the process of refining the balaclava I use and have done the buy-return, buy-return thing several times in the last month. I’ve been focusing on an Outdoor Research balaclava because I like OR products generally, though the other items mentioned by previous posters sound very good.

Since you originally mentioned OR as a product you were considering, here are a few points about my experience with three of the current OR balaclavas:

(1) I find that they run a little small. My head is fairly large for my body size, and I tend to need a L-XL size depending on the maker of the headgear. I originally bought the OR Windstopper balaclava in a Large, and it’s very snug. OR doesn’t make this in an XL, so Large is the biggest size available. I kept the Windstopper balaclava but subsequently purchased the Airfoil (in XL), thinking that it would provide me with a lighter but roomier version of the Windstopper balaclava that I already owned.

(3) The OR Airfoil balaclava, I discovered, is just a windproof layer with no insulation (no fleece liner, no thickness) at all. It’s good if the ONLY thing you want is protection from the wind. In most circumstances where I’m inclined to put on a balaclava, however, I tend to want not only wind protection but warmth. I exchanged the Airfoil for the OR Windstopper Gorilla balaclava.

(3) The OR Windstopper Gorilla balaclava (like my original OR Windstopper, non-Gorilla balaclava) also has no XL size. I tried it anyway, thinking that the removable/adjustable Velcro panels would give me some wiggle room that the original Windstopper version did not. This didn’t work out either because (a) the piece was still made for a smaller head than mine, no matter how I adjusted the panels, and (b) even if it did fit, I found all the fussing with the Velcro to be very awkward and time-consuming. And this was in my family room with my bare hands and the availability of a mirror – I can’t imagine how awkward this would be at -20F with mittens and a howling wind. (By contrast, I have a $15 neoprene face mask that uses Velcro and it’s very easy to put on and adjust.)

So utimately I returned the Airfoil, returned the Windstopper Gorilla model, and have retained my original Windstopper non-Gorilla pullover version. It’s tight but it’s easy to work with and very warm. It’s not perfect, but it combines the main options for face protection that I need and keeps me from having to carry (and locate) several different articles for different conditions.

By the way, I think all OR balaclavas (not just the Airfoil) have breathing ports.

I use the smaller of the two Neoprene mask shown in bobmak's post, it's not very expensive, weighs less & for the one - three times I've needed one, it has done the trick.

As a very warm winter hiker I start with a wind-bloc ear-warmer then carry a small poly pro hat & balaclava, a wind-bloc fleece balaclava & when forecast in winter I'll carry a warm hat whcih cover my ears & is waterproof.

As I typically do not carry a sleeping bag other than an emergency bivy, all this stuff serves as layering in case I'm immobile also. I've gone to the hat about four times, three I remember well, two of those were got to treeline & bailed on going any further, the other was on Madison with a warm hat that was too small to velcro under my chin. Hat last seen flying into the Great Gulf from Osgood.

Blue,

Here is what I used on Madison that same day (photo courtesy Dave Metsky). It's a lightweight balaclava and an OR windbloc cap. I can pull it up over my nose if need be. I can also use goggles if I really need to but no matter how hard I try to vent them, they fog up and freeze. I have also used a neoprene face mask for more extreme days. Both the balaclava and the face mask make me feel a bit claustrophobic for breathing.

JohnL

Multipurpose "baklava"

I use basically what Spencer uses, though a different brand (I forget which). I picked something really comfy, as I use it when camping and sleep is easier without something prickly hitting you in the nose! Look for something that is big/stretchy enough that you can pull it down under your chin when conditions ease up. I rarely have to also use a neck gaiter because it is long enough to cover head and neck, and can be used as a neck gaiter alone by pulling the top part off my head. I can also use it as a hat alone by pulling the neck part up. Only thing is, it does get a fair amount of condensation on it after a few hours.

I never use a face mask. I don't like the way they work with a beard. Heck, a balaclava freezes onto my beard... second picture on my winter cycling page:

http://mudhead.uottawa.ca/~pete/bike.html

What I do carry, is a film container (getting to be antiques now that everything is digital) filled with vasoline. Slather it over your face, and prevents frostbite... Plus, it leaves the skin silky smooth ;)

What I do carry, is a film container (getting to be antiques now that everything is digital) filled with vasoline. Slather it over your face, and prevents frostbite... Plus, it leaves the skin silky smooth

Is that how you maintain that glowing complexion? Not sure about anyone else but I'd be pretty nervous seeing you come my way with that axe and a jar of vasoline! :eek:

ok, ok

So there are a ton of recomendations here, but tell me everyone, do these all get wet and mushy around the mouth and nose or do the breathing panels or cut-outs really work? My problem with face masks has always been than before long, you ended up with a wet thing on your face that was freezing cold and very uncomfortable.

John Swanson says the loose fit is the way to go, is that the trick to avoid the moisture? Any other tricks to keep the mouth and nose dry?

Charlie

My facemask is tight arounf my face with a small gap between the mask and goggles. The mask is neopreme and it gets wet but does not absorb moisture, So, you will feel warm wet. It drys quickly when taken off. For me it's not bad. I find it better than wet cloth around my face.

I have never worn a facemask when hiking but when I bike to work (like today), I wear this:

Maxit Headgaitor

it's nice in that when I do get warm, I can pull it down from my eyes/nose to around my chin so I don't overheat but when it's cold, I just pull it up til my nose and eyes are out.

And you can use it just to cover your ears or as a neck covering, etc. It's basically a tube with some elastic material. Easy to make too if you have a sewing machine and some time.

Jay