Falling Waters Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushwacked

Reaction score
Anyone been up/down FWT since the storm last weekend specifically? In winter generally? Seems like I've always been up/down Old Bridle or Liberty Springs in winter but was thinking quick Liberty/Flume/Haystack loop for Saturday morning. Thanks.

If you're stopping/ descending Falling Waters, you should be able to get by with Micros as you aren't on a lot of exposed summit before descending. Depending on how the drifts filled things in, the rocks you climb as you approach Little Haystack (still in the fir zone) may be the trickiest part.

The ridgeline was essentially bare-bootable on Sunday. Not sure what's happened since. Very little snow or ice, except a few thigh-deep pockets of snow in the holes where there is a bit of scrub.

IMG_0920.JPG

View back to Lincoln on the way to LH.

Tim

I was on the loop this afternoon - I wore snowshoes from the trailhead to the summit of Lafayette via the Bridle Path, and then barebooted down the ridge (with some screws, natch). The normally icy ramp a bit below the summit of Lafayette is still pretty tame, and the chutes leading to the summit of Little Haystack are mostly snow, with just a few minor icy bits. The Falling Waters trail is barebootable, good enough to glissade in parts.

FranconiaRidgeFeb14.jpg

FrostyFranconiaFeb14.jpg

Yes, pretty remarkable difference! (I was up there last Sunday afternoon as well after your group had gone through.)

I prefer the frosty version, but both days were pretty nice!

You probably weren't too far behind us, Tim. We were in the clouds for most of the day but the skies finally starting clearing up as we neared Little Haystack. A great day on the ridge.

John

P1200191.JPG