Family hike up Huntington 6-7-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
It’s a rare thing at my home when enough of our schedules jive to do something together. I had spent a week out in Fargo, North Dakota for work and longed for mountains the whole time. The trip was hard work with a serious deadline but the very “layed back” culture of the area made it enjoyable, even got a few nights in at a country rock ribfest! I certainly felt missed when I arrived home and family all wanted to spend quality time with me. Kimberly, my eighteen year-old daughter wanted to hike something ambitious, just the two of us. My fourteen year-old, Jonathan also wanted to go on a hike.

Kimberly suggested Mount Washington, possibly up Lion’s Head and before long a plan was forming and the team was growing. Sunshine Chris, my sister-in-law had a less than satisfying day at a competition shoot and decided on hiking with us. Ryan, Kim’s boyfriend also felt up to the challenge. We packed up gear and descended on my parents-in-law up in Milan Saturday night for an earlier start Sunday.

The morning hinted at clearing but weather reports were leaning toward late day showers. We left Pinkham with two possible plans. Either Lion’s Head up or Huntington if the weather was improving and return by Lion’s Head. I had been up both and brought a decent length of 7mm rope to assist anyone up the slabs in Huntington. The day was cheering up brightly and we were doing better than booktime at the turn up Huntington so away we went. The talus field slowed us down a bit and we had checked our pace some for Jon who was breathing a little heavy despite frequent breaks. Then at one point Jon said he couldn’t breath the thin air enough to go on. He does not have asthma but was hyperventilating some possibly anxious about what was ahead. In addition he has hit a huge growth spurt and grown from 5’ 4” to 5’ 10” in less than six months as well as, gone from about 120 pounds to over 190. Part of his trouble is growing into his new body. After awhile I was able to calm him down and coach him to breath more slowly and start out at a pace he was more comfortable with.

By the time Jon was up the two long slabs he was picking his way up some very technical places and he and Kim were doing a fine job leading us up. We met a couple of gentlemen who had lost the route and descended. Memory has a way of serving up only the better parts of a hike if you enjoyed it so some of the more intimidating climbs were nearly new to me. Kim was quick to look for more difficult routes on the climb and stealthy maneuvering her way. Jon was undaunted by the competition and though less graceful he showed rock solid ability as he assessed and climbed his routes. I am not an experienced climber but was very proud to see the youth of my family embrace one of the Whites hardest trails that appears somewhat technical in my view.

Jon reached Nelson Crag Trail first and as he turned around surveying his accomplishment and the views he said something like “You know, this is pretty cool!”
Maybe we can share much more of this but even if it were the only time it was a treasured moment. Regrettably my fourth hiking camera crapped early on the hike. Hung up with a lens malfunction I had to resort to each of them taking cell phone pics to share and for our memory enhancement!

We let the others catch up and hiked the road to the top. The weather was changing quickly and we were now being stung sharply by small hail. Jon and I shared summit opportunities with a nice couple from Virginia that were on their motorcycle. Its been thirty years since I climbed to the top with my siblings and parents and now sharing it with Jon knowing what he had overcome on the climb was a treat. This would be Kim’s third trip up hiking with only the return hike needed to count it. The redeeming aspect of this hike was its ability to bring her closer together with her boyfriend, something her mother and I shared years ago. The restaurant had just closed and our choices of leaving the mountain were now: Ammo against the wind and hail, Lion’s Head out running the storm coming in, a wet seven and a half mile road walk or retreat by the last shuttle doing his “clean-up” round. Democracy and sound judgment won out and in a short time we bid good evening to Mike the very informative and kind shuttle driver and headed off to Mr. Pizza for as much as we could eat!;) The perfect way to end any half-a-hike!:D

Kimberly, Jonathan, Chris and Ryan, thanks so much for such a fun hike together!

A few early pics:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/572953309BlvcSF

Nice Trip! It sounds like it counted for a lot more than a check mark on some list to me!:D:cool: As my kids are getting bigger, I'm beginning to have more moments where I see them doing things with me that I used to share doing with my Dad. Its kinda cool to be on the other end of that equation. It sounds like you had a neat moment like that here.

Thanks for sharing, Dave Bear.

Man!

I'd love to get my boys out there! They haven't hiked with me since the were early teens. Gotta' tell ya', I'm a little jealous!

KDT

Great photos! I especially like the cookout photo and the video of the big rock concert at the summit! Great pyrotechnics! What a cool hike you guys had!! :D

Awesome Dave!I know what you mean aqbout growth spurts.Glen had doulbled in size in the last 2 years and it's almost impossible for his fitness level to catch up.Hangin with the VFTT "family" is great but nothing quite beats doin' it family style.

A few notes from my prospective as well. I was pleased with the way we all looked out for one another and encouraged each other through the more difficult parts of the headwall. Whenever someone needed a hand, a boost, a rope, a foothold, a pole holder, pack grabber or just a bit of encouragment or a shared snack, we all seemed to be there for each other.The headwall section was a bit beyond my comfort level right towards the end, but I was able to push through my own personal wall and complete the last steep slab, thanks to a well aided hand right at the end. Perfect timing Dave. Having the rope there on a few of the steep slabs certainly made it feel a little safer. I know we all held onto it and even leaned on it a few times. Thanks Dave for being our anchor! There was one spot where there seemed no comfortable way up and then Ryan found a slot about 12 feet long to squeeze through. I anxiously decided of all the routes taken this was my best chance, if I could fit. I pushed my pack ahead, had Ryan give me a hand up into it so I could reach a handhold and pull myself up into the crevice. Ooh, tight fit but I squirmed through, feeling clostrophobic all the while. I think we were all pretty pleased with ourselves for summiting Mt. Washington by way of Huntington Ravine. I know, speaking for myself, it was a route I had dreamed of taking but never really thought I could get it done. It was an easier hike for me than I thought thanks to getting fitter these days. Thanks to all for a great time of fun, laughter, friendship, a shared intense experience and a successful conclusion to a totally fantastic day.