Favorite campsites in the Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Was just daydreaming on the subway home about some great campsites I have stayed in over the years. Was wondering if I could get some feedback from you on the favorite places you have camped in the Northeast. To start things out, I will give you my top 5:
1. Upper South Branch Pond Lean-to, BSP in Maine. Solitude, beautiful pond, abundant wildlife, mountain views, great hiking, cliff jumping into pond. Can canoe to it with a short portage and bring lots of gear and beer. Good trout fishing, too.
2. Half Moon Cove Campsite, Richardson Lake - Andover, ME. Just a gorgeous spot on a point on an amazing lake. Can canoe or get dropped off in pontoon boat. Decent fishing if you know where to go. Some really cool stuff to discover bushwhacking the woods behind the campsite, too.
3. Pogy Pond Lean-to - BSP in Maine. Possibly more beautiful than Upper South Branch pond with view of Katahdin from lean-to. Easy backpack in from South Branch campground. Totally remote and great hiking everywhere.
4. Thirteenth Lake in the ADKs- Elizabeth Point or Cornwall Point sites. Really nice. Can easily canoe to them. Used to be great trout and salmon fishing. Not sure anymore, but heard it might have gone downhill.
5. Avery (Bigelow) Col - Bigelow's in Maine. Amazing view from a couple of the tent platforms. Nice spot right below treeline between the major Bigelow peaks. On a clear day, you can see FOREVER!

Looking forward to some of your opinions.

Regards,
Marty

Certainly a subjective topic.

my favorites, in no particular order,

Abol or Katahdin springs in BSP. A very restful sleep w/ the sounds of a river as a backdrop in one of the most beautiful spots in the east.

Underhill St Park- The home of mt mansfield. I camped here a few times w/ a few VYCC'ers. Beautiful sites w/ great fireplaces.

Mt Philo- What a nice spot for a night. Beautiful sunset, nice campground minus the rabid coons.

Sunset- deer isle maine- One of the most peaceful places i have experienced. Calm, peaceful. My best dinner yet. Lobster and corn cooked over a camp stove w/ yellow tail. Wooden platform for a campsite.

Last edited:
I guess it's hard not having slept in all the campsites I would've liked to but here are mine:

-Ten Mile River shelter, CT - next to the Ten Mile River, right on a clearing. It has a special meaning to me since it was my first night in my first long hike

-I second this:
marty said:
Pogy Pond Lean-to - BSP in Maine. Possibly more beautiful than Upper South Branch pond with view of Katahdin from lean-to. Easy backpack in from South Branch campground. Totally remote and great hiking everywhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/cbcbd/baxter/DSCN1986.jpg

-The Perch, RMC in the whites - Good spot with a view out as you wake up

-Slant Rock, ADK - A ways off the trail, but it's on a hill and has a beautiful view of Basin

My vote(s)

My favorite used to be the leanto at Greeley Pond. Fantastic view, especially at dawn and dusk -- but it is long gone at this point in time.

My two favorites are Chimney Pond in BSP and Crag Camp on the edge of King Ravine. Views, views, views!

Canary Pond – Along the NPT. It's a beautiful little body of water where you can jump off the rock on shore into water that is about 10’ deep.

Spruce Lake – Also along the NPT. I stayed at the center lean-to. While the lean-to wasn’t in the best of shape, but that was overshadowed by the fact that no one else was there with the exception of two loons that swam up and down the lake.

Duck Hole – This spot may be lost within the next few years if nothing is done to repair the dam to the small pond.

There is a tent site on lower South Branch Pond at BSP that is only accessable by boat. This site was put in just a few years ago.

Mt Philo is awesome!!!

Any wilderness sites on Umbagog.

Blackwoods Campground in Acadia Natl Pk. Small sites close together, but a great location. If you stay in the B loop you're a short walk from the ocean.

Good topic.

Metallic Island in Lower (I think) Richardson Lake

The large Island in Lake Azizcohos

Any of the designated tent sites along the Dry River Trail - lots of solitude

Antlers in the 100 mile wilderness. There are fantastic side tent sites on the lake.

So far...Willard Notch on the kilkenny ridge trail. Quiet and remote, a nice reward after a good hike (especially if you start from the north end of the trail).