Favorite New York Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudsplitter

Reaction score
First let me say hello to all of the regulars on this site. I'm new to the world of VFTT, but most certainly not new to the outdoors. About eight years ago, college put me close to the Adirondacks, and I've been in the mountains or reading about them ever since. I currently work for an outdoor gear retailer, and I'm a certified gear geek, so if anyone is in need of suggestions please feel free to ask... (I am of course always open to suggestions about my own gear as well!)
Anyway, enough dribble from me...I must say that since I'm from upstate NY I'm a bit biased, but I was wondering if you all had a favorite New York mountain in the 'Dacks, Cats, or elsewhere...??? Any type of reasoning in the decision process will do...great view, a particularly memorable day, gorgeous woods, etc. I'll post my fav soon (still thinking about it), but in the meantime I always love to hear people's stories about the mountains that I'm so close to...Thanks all!

Haystack is my favorite. Fine views and a great hike in.I try to alternate approaches each time I climb it.From the Loj , and sometimes from Johns Brook. I think next time will be from Panther Gorge.

Algonquin

Algonquin is it for me. Incredible views towards Colden and Marcy (and Wallface as well) I've been up it 8 times and have enjoyed every minute of the climb up and the views from the top:) Some may claim that it is too crowded, but I'd say that you rarely run into that problem unless you do it on a weekend during the summer months.

BirdHead Studios

Dix. In part because it was the first high peak and has the first slide I climbed, and part because my favorite river, the Bouquet, flows off of its slopes.

I have too many favorites to pick just one :) - how about Kaaterskill High Peak, Lone, Slide, West Kill, Wittenberg, in the Catskills. I haven't climbed as much in the ADK's but Big Slide, Gothics, Algonguin and Haystack were favorites of mine as well. Then off the lists you have Snowy in the southern ADK's, Ashokan High Point in he Catskills, Gertrudes Nose/Millbrook mountains in the Shawangunks and Schunemunk Mt. and Breakneck Ridge in the Hudson Valley.

All of those above are good for repeated climbs in different seasons. Isn't NY great?

I enjoyed my climb (or should I say decent) to the summit of Couchsachraga. But then again, I value the journey more than the destination.

Some others that haven't been mentioned, Hopkins, Hadley, and Pharaoh.

Blue Mountain, the 360 view from the steps of the firetower were one of the best I've seen. Second would be the sub peak for Gothics, called Pyramid. Lots of barerock so close you could almost tough it (Saddleback, Basin, Gothics, and Haystack all within reach :) ).

Granted, I've enjoyed the view from just about all the mountains I've climbed thus far (Sleeping Beauty has a wonderful peak for watching meteor showers, Algonquin some nice views of slides, Marcy just awe-inspiring), but the more memorable ones (and the ones my camera was worked the most) are the tops.

Hi to all,

I know I have said this before but I just love Wright in the winter. It is not a hard hike and I like to do it solo, maybe being on top by myself has something to do with my love for this climb. But I also think the view of Algonquin is one of the best in the ADK. Giant in winter is also a nice climb.

Mark

I'd have to agree with Head...

Thanks for all of the great replies so far...Personally, I'd have to agree with Head and say that Algonquin is also my fav. It has all of the rewards of a classic northeast peak: an easy ramble through a fine mixed forest at the start, a stiff but rewarding section past Whale's Tail, an open view to the north of nearly 100 miles on the final push, and the best alpine summit I've seen so far. Algonquin was my first real mountain hike ever, and nothing since has quite been able to displace it at the top of my list. Other personal favs:
-Cascade (fine views and a gentle hike)
-Black Dome (coming from either the east or west, one of the most pleasant day hikes in the Catskills)
-Azure (a small peak in the northern 'Dacks with great views to the south and east, a firetower, and some decent ice/rock routes)

Some others that haven't been mentioned, Hopkins, Hadley, and Pharaoh.

I'll second Hopkins, especially in the summer when the blueberries are out. Nice varied approach, and great views of many of the high peaks, and very few people seem to climb it (or else I've just been lucky). I'll second Pharaoh, especially during peak colors in the fall. Hadley is beautiful too, but the crowds are sometimes as bad as on Marcy.

No one has mentioned Ampersand (though can be crowded), so I'll throw that one in. Also Peaked Pond Mt. in the fall. I thought Gray Peak was pretty darned nice - nicer in the winter than summer, due to being above the trees on the snow.

I had the same reaction to Couch as Audrey did, and I agree - the approach is the thing. It is a beautiful trail - and a beautiful swamp! Summit was a letdown, actually. Same reaction to Nye.

We're finishing the 46 this summer, on Haystack, which some people tell me will then be our number one choice. Ralph (or anyone): I'd be interested to hear about your opinions on the various approaches to Haystack.

I'd have to vote for Gothics (climbed Algonquin twice, but both times were too crowded. I guess I need to do it in winter)

My second favorite would have to be Bald Mountain in Old Forge, which was the 1st peak I climbed in my life as an 8 year old. Vivid memories still exist even 30 years later...

Catskills: Ashokan High Point. There is an excellent view of Slide and the Burroughs Range from the meadow just west of the viewless summit. But the real gem on this mountain is the meadow on the lower eastern summit which can be reached via faint herd paths from the main summit. There is a good stand of mountain laurel which is a deeper red that I have found anywhere else. The laurel blooms in late June here. There are also ample blueberry bushes which turn a blazing crimson in early-mid October.
Honorable Mention: Twin, Indian Head, Huntersfield, Kaaterskill High Peak.

Adirondacks: Noonmark, Great views of the Great Range along the Stimson Trail.
Honorable Mention: Algonquin, Colden (Trap Dike!), Haystack, Rocky Peak Ridge, Couchsachraga (my favorite wooded summit).

Shawangunks: Millbrook Mt and the adjacent Gertrude's Nose (impressive vertical cliffs, not nearly as high, but approaching the thrills of Katahdin's knife edge).

Hudson Highlands: Breakneck Ridge and Storm King (was one mountain several million years ago before the Hudson separated them)

No matter how you get there; You've got to go over little Haystack first...

Except from Panther Gorge:)

Gothics is my favorite mountain to look at, but for a mountain to be on, I'd say Jay Range, with its nice herdpath and its long and often uncrowded rocky ridge.

Oldsmores said:
The one I'm standing on...:D

That's the best response I've seen so far Oldsmores!

It seems to me that picking your favorite mountain is like what they say about picking a favorite child - you can't. They're all different and unique in their own ways. They all have their individual personalities and each has its positives and negatives. If I were to pick one (or some) though, I'd pick the familiar ones. I like Buck Mountain because I love to sit at the summit and look down over Lake George, I like Overlook Mountain in the Catskills because it's quick, fun, and I've hiked it many times. I also like hiking Algonquin but usually later in the day when the crowds go away. I like the views from Nippletop and on the hike up there when you walk through the burnt-out area on Noonmark and can look at the Great Range. No matter where I'm hiking, I pretty much like the hike 'there', hanging out at the summit, stopping by the mountain streams, and finding nice hidden places with great views.

mommabear, if you haven't climbed Pilot Knob ( Buck's next door neighbor) put it on your list. I liken it to Haystack and Marcy, with Buck being the crowded Marcy, and PK being the overshadowed gem next door.

And I agree with Oldsmores, and that's often the same answer I give to people!

Stissing Mountain is my favorite mountain because it's the only mountain in the town I grew up in and it's a unique geographical feature that looms over the town and it's three lakes. It's only 1400 feet,but there is a tower and great views. There is also a Nature Conservancy property with a trail around Thompson Pond at the base of the mountain.

My favorite Catskill mountain is usually the one I've just hiked. I had an incredible day this winter on Panther mountain from Fox Hollow Road...10miles in deep snow where it was a constant effort to find the trail,but the sky was cobalt blue and the ice on the branches sounded like wind chimes and everything was sparkling in the sun. Then there was the day in the fall on Balsam and Eagle in the rain where the yellow needles from the Larch trees were falling onto beds of moss and there were ferns everywhere and the summit of Eagle was all fog and misshapen trees. Then there are the waterfalls on Kaaterskill High Peak. Glenda

Doc McPeak said:
mommabear, if you haven't climbed Pilot Knob ( Buck's next door neighbor) put it on your list. I liken it to Haystack and Marcy, with Buck being the crowded Marcy, and PK being the overshadowed gem next door.

Thanks for the suggestion Doc. I'll keep Pilot Knob in mind. Buck Mt. can get real busy on a summer weekend or holiday.