Field, Willey, Tom 1/30/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cymbidium

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Sat 1/30/2010

Trails: Avalon tr., Willey Range Tr., Mt. Tom Spur., AZ tr.

Parking: Highland Center had plenty of room. Depot lot was not plowed.

Equipment used today: Snowshoes with good traction

Conditions: 3 inches of packed powder with drifts of 1-2 feet.

Water crossings: iced over with running water on the lower part of the Avalon TR. AZ crossings were open but easy to get over.

Comments:
It was a very cold day out in the mountains. -5 at the Highland Center. Warmed up to zero later in the day. Pleasantly surprised to find that the winds were pretty calm. Fran and I met Jeremy, Earl, Skip and others in the parking lot before heading up. Lucky for us Jeremy broke the entire loop including Mt. Avalon. He also cleared quite a few blowdowns. It really made it a lot easier to follow the trail today. So many blowdowns can be a little disorienting. It was a breautiful, crisp blue sky day and we were happy to finally meet Big Earl. Also nice to see Sue, Skip and the others in their party. Fran finished with Tom while I headed back down and saved my legs from another up. (already have Tom for winter).
Here is a link to Fran's photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/FranMaineri/20100130FieldWilleyTom?feat=directlink

Last edited: