Field, Willey, & Tom, The Willey Range, 5/14/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
May 14, 2011: Willey Range

Trails: Avalon Trail, Willey Range Trail, Mt. Tom Spur, A-Z Trail

Summits: Mount Field, Mount Willey, Mount Tom

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Originally, this was expected to be an off-week. Late in the week we decided to hike. After checking the forecasts from the usual places it seemed clear we had a gray day coming up. An optimistic view of the forecasts would expect the day to possibly remain dry until early to mid-afternoon. Then, the day was expected to get wet, very wet. We had a couple hiking choices that could be considered good bad-weather hikes; the Willey Range was one of our choices. We decided an early start might get us out, or at least nearly out before the weather took its dive.

We managed an on-trail generally as planned and set off for Mount Field via Avalon Trail. The plan was to hike a loop of the Willey Range in a generally clockwise direction; hike to Mt. Field, then an out and back to Mt. Willey, then to Mt. Tom, and finally back to Crawford Notch. From the Highland Center we could see the summits were in the clouds.

The stream crossings were easy, but poles are helpful. There are enough high rocks to make the crossings with dry feet. After the first crossing we got a preview of what’s on the way. There is a fair amount of mud already between the first and second crossing; it will get worse very soon. After the second crossing we started to see piles of body parts along the side of the trail. Sue decided it was snowman time. After the distraction we were back into the hike headed to the junction with the A-Z Trail. Along the way we came to areas of spotty snow that increased as we got closer to the trail junction.

Continuing from the trail junction on Avalon Trail we started to hit more snow and ice with elevation. We managed to continue bare booting the hike through the steep climb to the Avalon summit spur. At that point we were hiking on complete snow cover that was several feet deep and soft. After a couple postholes we pulled out the snowshoes and stayed with them for much of the remaining hike until well down from the summit of Mt. Tom.

From the Avalon summit spur to the Willey Range Trail there is only one short area that is clear of snow, which we skirted instead of removing the snowshoes. The snowshoes worked well on the climb through the five steep pitches leading to the junction with Willey Range Trail. We reached the trail junction, made the turn and completed the short final climb to the summit of Mt. Field. We didn’t stay on the summit for long since we were coming back through in a while. A short distance south of Mt. Field we came to clear trail that resembled a brook bed, complete with running water. We removed the snowshoes and we continued bare booting, for a while. Within a hundred yards we were back into deep snow cover and again went with the snowshoes. We went through this routine a couple more times on the way to Mt. Willey.

This hike to Mt. Willey was much quicker than the previous two that we made. The trail is clearly marked with a solid monorail for the distance. We made it to the final approach to the summit area, removed our snowshoes, and finished the hike to Willey on clear trail. Usually, the hike from Field to Willey has some nice views but not today. We got some summit pictures that actually include the cairn, made our u-turn, and headed north to Mt. Field.

Willey to Field was a quick hike with a stop mid-way to feed the gray jays. We hit Field, stopped for a few summit pictures and a snack, and were soon headed north on the Willey Range Trail to Mt. Tom. The trail to Mt. Tom seems to have a greater amount of snow and monorail. This is probably due to the fact it is on the north facing slope from Mt. Field. There were a number of places where Sue commented about the noise from water running underneath the trail. We reached the junction with A-Z trail, made the turn, and headed to the Mt. Tom Spur.

Two down and one to go. The hike to Mt. Tom via the summit spur is a short .5 miles and only ~350 feet in elevation. It’s little more than a big bump. Along the way to the summit we came to enough clear trail to remove the snowshoes and bare boot the climb. A short distance below the summit we passed a couple getting ready to set up camp for the night. I hope their campsite drained well.

We hit the summit still in a cloud, took a couple summit pictures, and headed for the exit. While at the summit we could feel some heavy mist or very light rain. We knew the bad weather was close and wanted to stay dry if possible. As we passed the campers they had the tent up and were placing the finishing touches on their home for the night. Roughly half way between the summit and the A-Z trail junction I noticed the mist/rain had stopped.

We made a quick cookie stop at the A-Z junction and were soon leaving the ridge. Descending the A-Z Trail was mostly on a complete snow cover. We stayed with our snowshoes all of the way down to the stream crossing and beyond. We were probably within a quarter mile of the Avalon Junction before we removed the snowshoes for the final time. At the A-Z junction we stopped for a longer break and to lash the snowshoes to our packs – we knew they wouldn’t be needed again.

The final walk back to the trailhead went quickly. In the morning I left my poles on my pack but now I had them out. The stream crossings were much easier and less stressful with poles. We managed to clear both without any problems. At the trailhead I stopped to look back up to the ridge to see most of it gone – the cloud level was dropping fast.

We reached the Highland Center and packed our things into the truck, grabbed our dry change of clothes, and went inside to change. It was still not raining – we beat the storm. I’m not sure how long we were inside but by the time we came back out the rain had started and was coming down pretty good. We jumped in the truck and were off.

Except for a close encounter with a couple moose on the way out of Twin Mountain we had a quiet drive south. It was a fun day and we managed to stay dry. Sometimes taking an optimistic view of the weather forecasts works.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Last edited: